i don't think this is the right spot, but i know most of you more.

i got one of these:

what do i need? what would go best to be expandable? i was thinking regular mixer (non powered) and an amp or two, at least two speakers (10" 12", 15") i would like a sub.

what do i need from the ground up?

what are some good speaker, mixer, and amplifier brands? i was told by the guy i got the older peavey speakers were awesome, he said he used crown (?) amplifiers, and a mackie mixer.

i want this setup being able to grow over time. i don't want to limit myself too much. all will be bought used, if possible. i am thinking i could rent it, maybe get an ascap license and do parties and music like that.

led the ideas churn. thanks, sorry if i am in the wrong spot. if i am feel free to move me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If your on a budget, look at the JBL JRX 125. They are 2x15 cabs and the one 15 in each cab is a dedicated sub. For mixers, Mackie is good and so is Yamaha. For amps, Look for some used Carver models, I would only use Crowns Micro-tech/Macro-tech amps the rest are not that great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
When you're starting out I would really stick to powered speakers and a non powered mixer. When you want to move to the big stuff, you can still use the powered speakers as monitors.

Crown's XTi amps are really, really good. They are lightweight, in the 7-10 lb range, and the better models have DSP built in so you can assign crossover points and biamp. QSC is also a standard brand.

I am a BIG fan of Carvin's PA speakers if you are on a budget. They are constructed of wood, have high wattage handling, speakons and 1/4" and are bi or triampable. They are also inexpensive. Get a 1503 with a horn, 6" mid woofer and 15" woofer, and pair it with their 18" sub, which comes in powered and passive versions. Anything smaller than an 18" is just a woofer.

For under $1000, the best mixer would probably be an Allen and Heath Mixwizard. Lots of Aux sends for when you upgrade. You can NEVER have too many aux sends.

Our rig consists of 4 QSC K10's for monitors (or Carvin IEM's) that we can use for smaller gigs. Our mains are JBL SRX 715's, paired with two Ksubs. Our mixer is a presonus Studiolive 16.4.2. Also lots of random rack gear in a 16U rolling ATA case.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Jan 30, 2012,
You're gonna love that Drive Rack!!...

We got a Yamaha Mixer 12 channel Non Powered
2 Peavey PV1500 amps (they're heavy as all get out, but bullet proof)
2 PV 215 speaker cabs for Mains
2 PV118 subs...

We run our monitors into a Yamaha EMX 512 Powered Mixer from the Aux Outs on the Main board and 4 15" Peavey Monitors... We've played several Indoor venues and not even warmed up the Amps.. A few outdoor venues with over 500 folks in attendance, and didn't have a problem.. The BEST feature on the Drive rack is the Feedback Eliminator and the Pink Noise Auto EQ...

Have Fun.. You got a good start..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
You're gonna love that Drive Rack!!...

Yes you are! I have the original version that came out a few years ago, it's among the many things in my rack. Did you get the mic also? Anyway, I use it to control my 20KW system and it's worth it's weight in gold. But as the above people have posted, you can't go wrong with powered speakers, especially JBL's, the drive rack is pre-programmed for them. The simplicity of a self-powered system is brilliant, set up is amazingly fast.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Drive racks were great until I learned to do it with my ear. However, I still use the driverack for it's compression and limiting abilities, subwoofer delay/driver alignment and the EQ. I don't really use the auto setup feature anymore. Pinking a room is good in theory, but it can still be improved on using the EQ once you start playing. Use the driverack to set a baseline, but trust your ears.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Drive racks were great until I learned to do it with my ear. However, I still use the driverack for it's compression and limiting abilities, subwoofer delay/driver alignment and the EQ. I don't really use the auto setup feature anymore. Pinking a room is good in theory, but it can still be improved on using the EQ once you start playing. Use the driverack to set a baseline, but trust your ears.

Well, for me and my band... We all got Day Jobs, and kids and (fill in blank) I'm not an expert, and in all honesty, I really don't have time to learn all the aspects of sound, and how to get the best of it... The Drive Rack isn't perfect, but We're playing in Bars, and private party's, not Carnagie Hall, and we know we'll never get famous, nor do we want to... We're fat old guys rockin' and rollin' and having a BLAST!!!.... Yea, it could be better, but it's better without tweaking than most of the bands in our area that have even hired "Experts" ... LOL

I agree that the Ear is better than any machine.. but this thing takes a lot of the time out of setup that we don't have to put in ...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!