Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a Fender 72 Tele Custom, and am considering selling my Les Paul Studio with Slash Alnico II pickups for a Gibson SG Standard. I've played a few SG Standards and really like the feel of them, not to mention the straight ahead rock tone you can get from them - I have a Gibson SG 60's tribute which I love, and since getting the Tele and the SG 60's Tribute, the Les Paul has been sort of sidelined. I still play it from time to time but can't help but think that an SG Standard would be better for what I play (My band also agrees that I can get better tones from the SG 60's than the LP Studio)

What do you guys think? Any advice would be appreciated
Have you thought about changin pickups? I personally wouldn't make that swap. What about selling it for a les Paul standard?
Les Pauls > SG's. All day, everyday.

And you can't get a straight up rock tone from a Les Paul? The hell are you doing with it?!
It's really more a matter of personal opinion. Sounds like you prefer SG's, so I'd recommend going that route. On the other hand, if you already have the '60s Tribute, keeping the LP would allow you to have a little more versatility where your guitars are concerned.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

And you can't get a straight up rock tone from a Les Paul? The hell are you doing with it?!

He has the slash alnico II pups in it which, IIRC, have a huge midrange boost.

TS, maybe you don't like the pickups?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I do like the pickups, I like the tone - however I prefer the feel, neck, playability, tone etc. of an SG
Sounds like you just answered your own question
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
The feel is at least as important as the tone. So if you don't dig the way Les Pauls feel, go for the SG.

The feel is way more important than tone, by far. There are hundred, if not thousands of different pickups out there. Chances are a couple of them are going to give you a sound you want. You can't change the way a guitar feels, on the other hand.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The feel is way more important than tone, by far. There are hundred, if not thousands of different pickups out there. Chances are a couple of them are going to give you a sound you want. You can't change the way a guitar feels, on the other hand.

+1

also, refer to my sig
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
+1

also, refer to my sig

second.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I would, SG's are so much better than Les Paul's :-)

what does this tell you about opinions

you may like SGs better, and you may like les pauls better. i mean, it's highly probable that the SG standard will be a better quality guitar, but if you like les pauls better you'd still probably prefer to have your les paul.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I believe you can refer to EspTro's signature to hear my opinion on the matter.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Blompcube
what does this tell you about opinions

you may like SGs better, and you may like les pauls better. i mean, it's highly probable that the SG standard will be a better quality guitar, but if you like les pauls better you'd still probably prefer to have your les paul.

Sorry, my sarcastic side came out for a bit this morning and obviously shot straight over your head LOL.
But he obviously doesn't like the LP and hardly ever plays it, so why not sell it and buy a SG, of which he does like.

And bacause they're better
Quote by Delboyuk_01
Sorry, my sarcastic side came out for a bit this morning and obviously shot straight over your head LOL.

i didn't think you were being serious, because it looked like a response to the post above yours. i just found it amusing that one post says "les pauls are better than SGs" and the next says "SGs are better than les pauls"
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Take the Slash pickups and put them in your SG 60s?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by kangaxxter
I believe you can refer to EspTro's signature to hear my opinion on the matter.

+2
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Newbie question here, but seems like a great place for it... can one of you guys tell me what the differences really are between an SG and LP?

(Other than appearance, of course)

Is one heavier? Is one made with higher quality electronics? Does one sound more like a blue school bus than the other?

Thanks!
Quote by beetuna
Newbie question here, but seems like a great place for it... can one of you guys tell me what the differences really are between an SG and LP?

(Other than appearance, of course)

Is one heavier? Is one made with higher quality electronics? Does one sound more like a blue school bus than the other?

Thanks!

Les Pauls are very small and very heavy, they have a deeper tone than the SG, but SG's are better.

And lighter.
Quote by Delboyuk_01
Les Pauls are very small and very heavy, they have a deeper tone than the SG, but SG's are better.

And lighter.

Bullshit. What's better is a matter of opinion. Les Paul's have a much fuller and more balanced tone and they are bigger than SGs but most les Paul's are chbered now so they're pretty light anyway.

SGs are VERY thin and light and therefore very neck-heavy (the neck tilts down unless well supported by a thick strap). SGs have a less balanced sound with high mids, low treble and less bass.
It's all about yourself. Play the standard and see what you think. If it suits you better, go for it. If it's not quite what you want, don't.

Everyone's got an opinion, some are going to say SG and others, Les Paul. I'm more of a fan of the Les Paul myself because I think the tone that you get out of them is just thicker and more beefy. However, the very few SGs I've played have sounded great as well.

Pick out what you prefer the look, feel and sound of as you're the only one that's going to being playing it at the end of the day.
Quote by controlledchaos
I do like the pickups, I like the tone - however I prefer the feel, neck, playability, tone etc. of an SG

Neck/playability more or less solved.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
Quote by Acϵ♠
Take the Slash pickups and put them in your SG 60s?

SG 60s has P-90s, which would require routing to install a Slash Alnico HB.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Les Pauls just sound so much more refined than SGs.

I can't stand SGs. In my opinion, they look awful and they sound awful.
Quote by controlledchaos

Now that's where PRS comes in
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I've got both. The SG is lighter and I find it's great for punkier/thrashier/ more aggresive stuff whereas the LP is more a straight-four-to-the-floor rock 'n' roll beast.

That can easily change, though...

The LP (especially pre '08) tends to be heavy - it's a solid lump of mahogany with (depending on model) a mapel or mahogany cap on the body whereas the SG was (initally) built in response to people's demands for a Solid-bodied Guitar that was lighter and had better upper fret access. The originals were marketed as LPs until Les himself saw them and demanded his name be removed as he didn't approve the design.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
I've got both. The SG is lighter and I find it's great for punkier/thrashier/ more aggresive stuff whereas the LP is more a straight-four-to-the-floor rock 'n' roll beast.

That can easily change, though...

The LP (especially pre '08) tends to be heavy - it's a solid lump of mahogany with (depending on model) a mapel or mahogany cap on the body whereas the SG was (initally) built in response to people's demands for a Solid-bodied Guitar that was lighter and had better upper fret access. The originals were marketed as LPs until Les himself saw them and demanded his name be removed as he didn't approve the design.

See, there's that word again, "better".
Quote by guns for hire

Neck/playability more or less solved.

Ah.......The Les Paul double cut.....all problems solved