I've decided that the horrible delay in my amp isn't cutting it anymore (yes, I know, I need to replace the whole amp), especially now that I'm mostly gigging with different amps (either the venue's or another band's, or I might even borrow someone else's so I don't have to use my Line 6). I've done a bit of my own research and have found a few pedals that I like (and a couple that I don't like), but would appreciate an incite into anyone's personal experience with one or more analog delay pedal.

So far, I've looked into the Electro Harmonix Memory Boy/Toy, the MXR Carbon Copy, the Modtone Vintage Analog Delay, and the Joyo Digital Delay (which is designed to sound like an analog delay). On top of this, I have also used a friend's Boss DD-7 quite extensively.

I've tried all of those pedals, besides the Memory Toy and MXR. I really liked the sound of the Memory Boy, and the modulation effects were fun to play with. I could get some really nice delay sounds out of it, as well as some pretty whacky effects. I wasn't so keen on the Modtone, though, which even at full effect volume wasn't very inspiring. It added very little wet signal. The Joyo pedal felt cheap and nasty, and didn't have the bells and whistles of the higher end pedals. From what I've read on the MXR, it sounds like a pretty damn fine pedal, although its price tag here in Australia is pretty devastating.

I play a lot of styles, including indie, punk, post-punk, rock, blues, and dance-punk. I want to be able this delay to make sounds like Bloc Party and U2. I'd prefer not spending over $120 AUD (our currency is pretty much neck and neck with the US at the moment, if this helps)

Thanks in advance for any comments or recommendations
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Last edited by mark66saints at Jan 30, 2012,
the carbon copy is nice..

but I have heard good things about the modtone.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I've just sold an Earthquaker Devices Disaster Recovery delay pedal. It is digital, but is built to sound and react like an analogue delay. A really lovely pedal with a seperate footswitchable modulation section to add a bit of warble, or crazy UFO effects if you wanted. Worth checking out.
Last edited by philh27 at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by rocknroll93
the carbon copy is nice..

but I have heard good things about the modtone.

Have you had any personal experience with the Carbon Copy? I read that the effect was bass heavy, and maybe not as crystal clear as some other delays, anything in this?

Quote by philh27
I've just sold an Earthquaker Devices Disaster Recovery delay pedal. It is digital, but is built to sound and react like an analogue delay. A really lovely pedal with a seperate footswitchable modulation section to add a bit of warble, or crazy UFO effects if you wanted. Worth checking out.

This could be very hard and expensive for me to find where I live, but thanks for the advice.
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Quote by mark66saints
Have you had any personal experience with the Carbon Copy?

we had one in the music store where I work for a while..

lets just say I 'tested' it lots. i didnt notice it being bass heavy, but if it is personally for you when you get it you could just get a cheap eq pedal and put it in your pedal chain AFTER the delay.

good luck pedal hunting anyway!
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I don't suppose you've used the Electro Harmonix Memory Boy at all, have you? These are the two pedals I've found that I like the most, and I'd be interested to hear a comparison between the two
Fender MIM Jaguar
no, not as of yet.. we dont get electro harmonix in at work, but ive played the muff heaps haha (I own a clone and I borrowed a real one).. do you have a music store near you?

if so see what stock they have and try them..
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Quote by mark66saints
Have you had any personal experience with the Carbon Copy? I read that the effect was bass heavy, and maybe not as crystal clear as some other delays, anything in this?

It won't be crystal clear. It's an analog delay. They tend to sound 'warmer' than most digital delays which usually sound more 'crystal clear'. I love my carbon copy, and don't find it too bass heavy (but, as always, YMMV) - but then I like the idea of a nice warm echo.

Afraid I don't have any experience with the EHX, but I know it's thought of as a nice pedal. Another one to consider might be the Way Huge Aquapuss. But the best advice has already been given - go and try 'em out! Only that way will you be able to see which you like the most.
Adam
I'm in Australia too. Best thing is to test what you want at the closest store and then get on eBay and save yourself 25%.

The Carbon Copy would be my choice out of what you mentioned and you should be able to pick one up from the US for about $120ish with p&p. As a roadie/tech/sound & lighting tech I have noticed more and more of the MXR CC's on pedal boards over the last year.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
From Australia you can always buy pedals from places like sweetwater sound and proguitarshop.
Personally I dislike the CC - I find it too muddy. For the same price you can get a malekko ekko which absolutely destroys the CC
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish

Personally I dislike the CC - I find it too muddy. For the same price you can get a malekko ekko which absolutely destroys the CC

So much this.
I like the Carbon Copy. I've tried the Malekko Ekko and the EHX Memory Boy, but I definitely still favor the MXR.

It's cheap and it does the job. It's not bass heavy but it is a little bit dark. A lot of people like the Memory Boy, but I wasn't a huge fan. It didn't sound as full as the Carbon Copy. That might be what you are into, it might not, I'm not knocking the unit as peoples' taste on delays can really vary but it wasn't what I was looking for (which was something along the likes of meddle-era Pink Floyd).
Most don't realise that there are trim pots inside the MXR CC that can subtly change the modulation on it. I didn't find it muddy at all.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by mulefish
From Australia you can always buy pedals from places like sweetwater sound and proguitarshop.

Yup the Malekko Ekko 616 is the way to go. It can do everything the CC can do and more.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
The Carbon Copy is pretty much an "always on" pedal. Not to repeat, but they're right, analogue delays are usually darker with the delay time set longer (brighter with shorter). I love the warmth it gives off. I feel like it makes the sound I get out of my set up more organic. It isn't good for higher gain stuff though... it will muddy up real quick with high gain. But then again, I don't use a whole lot of gain so it works great.

I've definitely heard good things about the Ekko 616, but haven't demoed it. Try before you buy for sure. For me, it'd come down between those 2.
Dude you need to get ahold of Greeny23 he makes Toyroom FX pedals. I have heard they are really nice, and he is in Australia (help out your local economy!)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I totally forgot about him! *slap on the wrist* Hit him up and get a sweet analogue delay and post up a demo! I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd enjoy hearing it.
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Wow, lots of replies.. I need to get on here more often.

I'm going to try out a CC in the next few days hopefully. If it isn't too dark, I'll most likely get one of those for one good reason; I've always wanted an EHX Deluxe Memory Man, but have never been able to afford it. One day, I'll get it, and it'll sound like an enhanced Memory Boy (which basically means I won't want to use my MB anymore). If I had a CC, I could still use it to get different sounds to the DMM. But it all depends on tone.
Fender MIM Jaguar