As my American trip gets ever closer (I just spent the past half an hour trying to find my original thread but can't it anywhere!), just wondering who lives or knows New York?

We are staying in a hostel in Manhattan near Central Park which seems like a pretty snazzy location to say the least. Amsterdam Eve I believe?

Just wondering if there is anything you particularly recommend? We really want to a cool jazz bar (of which I am sure there are many).

And is there anywhere we shouldn't go? Dodgy places etc?

Thanks!
just let me know when youre coming down to SF
oh btw, has anyone heard the new 28 second john frusciante "abyss" clip on youtube by therhcptv?
Im going in March! Cant wait. Staying at the New Yorker and have been looking at the menu for the Tick Tock diner
Cool jazz bar you say? How about the famous Blue Note.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If you're a fan of older rock, the "Strawberry Fields" John Lennon memorial in Central Park is a must-see.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I live in NY, but I'm late to class, I'll fill you in when I return!

Oh and livinjoke, if you're going to the tick tock diner, be prepared. That's all I gotta say
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Old York is best York.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

So...you're going to be an alien? A legal alien?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
I live one block from Central Park. I never heard of that hotel though. Where is it exactly? Do you know the address?

EDIT: Is it the Amsterdam hotel on 50th Street? If that's it then you're around nine blocks from the south end of Central Park. If that's where you're staying (Midtown) then my number one piece of advice would be to wander from that neighborhood as often as possible. Get on the subway and go down to the East Village and Soho. Midtown is cool for a day but it's mostly office buildings and tourist traps.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Jan 30, 2012,
I think he means Amsterdam Court
226 West 50th Street, New York, NY 10019, United States
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by fender_696
As my American trip gets ever closer (I just spent the past half an hour trying to find my original thread but can't it anywhere!), just wondering who lives or knows New York?

We are staying in a hostel in Manhattan near Central Park which seems like a pretty snazzy location to say the least. Amsterdam Eve I believe?

Just wondering if there is anything you particularly recommend? We really want to a cool jazz bar (of which I am sure there are many).

And is there anywhere we shouldn't go? Dodgy places etc?

Thanks!

Quote by fender_696
hostel

Quote by fender_696
hostel

Quote by fender_696
hostel

Dont go there TS...
If TS is at a hostel then I know one on Amsterdam Avenue around 104th street. That's a short walk from my house. TS needs to ring in though.

This is it:

http://hinewyork.org/
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I live in NY, but I'm late to class, I'll fill you in when I return!

Oh and livinjoke, if you're going to the tick tock diner, be prepared. That's all I gotta say

Why? What, like in a bad way?
That's actually a really good location to stay in New York. It's out of the usual touristy areas, it's definitely not an office building district, and you're very near a whole shitload of bars and restaurants. It's a lot better than staying in midtown or near an airport.

Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues from 79th up to around 85th street both have enough bars and restaurants that you could go to a different place for every meal, and you'll be just two blocks away from all that. The subway's on Broadway and 86th, or you can walk up to the express stop at Broadway and 96th. There's another subway on Central Park West and 86th. You can see where John Lennon died at Central Park West and 72nd street, then cross the street to Strawberry Fields in the park. That's a really nice place to stay.
Quote by LivinJoke84

Why? What, like in a bad way?

I mean, you're fine if you go at a normal time, but if you catch the late night crowd you'll probably be eating with some less than favorable characters. That's not to say you won't anywhere else after midnight. Didn't mean to scare you

TS, no matter where you're staying, get out and explore every chance you get. That's my favorite thing to do and I live here. Times Square is the novelty must see, especially at night, but don't spend too long there, it's novelty wears off quick after your first 5 dollar bottle of water.
Since you're on UG I'd be remissed not to mention music row, theres a bunch of music shops, though Sam Ash is probably best...Mannys and Alex's are cool to look at and a nice sight-seeing stop, but not really the place to sit down and plug in every guitar like Sam Ash.
Definitely spend some time in Union Square. Get a burrito from Dos Toros. There's a guitar center near Union Square and the Best Buy there has a nice music section as well.
South Street Seaport is fun to walk around, though it's getting cold here. Well today was a bitch, but the temp is supposed to climb back up...
Head downtown to Canal Street and walk around Chinatown and Little Italy. Eat at NY Noodletown for some good Chinese. Get a Lobster Tail from Ferrara's for dessert.
La Esquina has some good tacos further up on Spring Street...
Back uptown, take a walk through Central Park. Definitely stop by Strawberry Fields if you're a fan, and since you're in the area stop by the Dakota. You can ice skate in Central Park (and I think still Bryant Park if I'm not mistaken) if you're into it.

Not too familiar with any jazz bars, as I wouldn't be allowed into them
But as stated, you're area has tons of restaurants and bars, so I'm sure you'll find something.

Let me know what else you're in to and I can talk some more. Above all, have a lot of fun! It's definitely my favorite city, hopefully you like. It's not for everyone...just don't get frightened by the hobos or panhandlers (usually one and the same) like most of the people I have visit. Often it's like anything else, don't bother them and they won't bother you (they might ask for change ). There are the crazy ones who will curse you out or yell at you, but if you ignore them they'll leave you alone. Unless you're feeling scrappy. Jk
Just abide by the common sense tourist rules, don't carry a lot of money, don't go near/get out of sketchy areas, don't roam around late alone. And enjoy!
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Last edited by FoolOnThePlanet at Jan 30, 2012,
Cheers guys! Thanks for the tips and recommendations; it's going to be a lot of fun I can tell!
Quote by Trowzaa
Old York is best York.

New New York is best York.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by fender_696
Cheers guys! Thanks for the tips and recommendations; it's going to be a lot of fun I can tell!

No problem. And if you see someone who smells like chicken wings and beer stumbling out of a place called Blondie's on 79th Street be nice to me, OK.

You asked before about a jazz club. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of those any more (the East Village club I used to go to converted into just another plain old bar with no music). One that you can walk to from 87th street is called Smoke on Broadway around 105th. It's a supper club but you can get in there just for the bar and listen to the tunes:

http://smokejazz.com/

You can try this place too. It's closer to your location and less formal too:

http://www.cleopatrasneedleny.com/
Quote by moscaespañol
New New York is best York.

We all know that Brooklyn is the best York...

Yeah, Jazz is a very hard sell nowadays, the only bar that I had knowledge of bombed completely a couple of months ago. There are jazz singers/bands at some bars during certain nights, just not venues completely devoted to jazz alone.

By the way, here's your last thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512592
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
The Iridium for Jazz? I saw Mike Stern there and thought it was pretty great. Les Paul used to play every Monday before he died. It's on Broadway. I think the Village Vanguard is still open too?
Quote by Envion
The Iridium for Jazz? I saw Mike Stern there and thought it was pretty great. Les Paul used to play every Monday before he died. It's on Broadway. I think the Village Vanguard is still open too?

Great mentions!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by DangerPat 00
We all know that Brooklyn is the best York...

Yeah, Jazz is a very hard sell nowadays, the only bar that I had knowledge of bombed completely a couple of months ago. There are jazz singers/bands at some bars during certain nights, just not venues completely devoted to jazz alone.

By the way, here's your last thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512592

Eh, Brooklyn is pretty good, but SI on the other hand...
Nevermind, it sucks here.
Edit: But we have a cool mall at least.
Edit: And it's relatively safe here.
FORZA CATANIA
Last edited by jonathan666666 at Jan 30, 2012,
Visit St. Albans. It be in Queens. Holla holla. Got that good shit, nahmean?
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson