I know I have relative pitch as I did ear training in uni and know all my intervals.
But I can also identify any pitch and name it without an external reference. I can only do it to the semitone, and I can't do quarter tones(need a lot of time) and cents.
I know it's not perfect pitch as a I've heard people who have it can tell how many cents somebody is off by. So what is this called?
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Jan 30, 2012,
relative pitch
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What is relative pitch?

Oh sorry, I thought we were playing jeopardy.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Okay.
But for relative pitch don't you need an external reference before relating by intervals? In other words need a starting note.
Well two notes make an interval.......not sure what you're hinting at buddy.

Could you give an example of how what you're doing is not relative pitch?
Soundcloud
Call it "GoldenGuitar's special skill which isn't relative pitch", or GSSWIRP for short.

Well you gave a pretty definition above. You can hear the intervals between notes relative to eachother. Perfect pitch would allow you to identify the specific notes played without reference to an instrument.
Soundcloud
I said I could do it without external reference. Read it again! Second sentence mate.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
I said I could do it without external reference. Read it again! Second sentence mate.

No you can't

You learned how to recognise those pitches from external references, sure you've practised and used that skill enough that all that knowledge is now internalised but the original source of that knowlege was still external. You don't need to physically listen to a note for it to still class as an external reference.

I know you're wanting somebody to tell you how special you are but I'm afraid that's not the case.

You've developed a very good sense of relative pitch, something that requires a fair bit of work and discipline so give yourself a pat on the back, but you don't get magic word to use to tell people how clever you are.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It's relative pitch and a decent memory of how songs go.
There are a few songs I know very well - I can sing you the starting note/first line to the nearest semitone because I can remember pretty accurately where the song fits in my vocal range. From there my relative pitch can get me to whatever note I need to name. It's not accurate to cents and it's not perfect pitch, but it certainly works for me.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by steven seagull
No you can't

You learned how to recognise those pitches from external references, sure you've practised and used that skill enough that all that knowledge is now internalised but the original source of that knowlege was still external. You don't need to physically listen to a note for it to still class as an external reference.

I know you're wanting somebody to tell you how special you are but I'm afraid that's not the case.

You've developed a very good sense of relative pitch, something that requires a fair bit of work and discipline so give yourself a pat on the back, but you don't get magic word to use to tell people how clever you are.

Well I just really wanted a name for it, because I hate being ignorant when I describe things. After typing up what you wrote on Google I found out it's called tonal memory. Now I have a name for it and I'm satisfied.
Lol tonal memory - well I hope you're happy with your ability to recall a sound.
Soundcloud
Last time I was this worried about having a label stuck to myself it was so I wouldn't lose my PE kit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc