Any guitars which may sound sort of strange/different to others? Perhaps with a widely considered strange/unusable tone or something? Purely out of interest.
yep
You better get some guitar with usable tones and some strange sounding pedals.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
An old Goya with the foil pups, a crazy pickguard and excessive buttons and switches. I like old foil pups, they sound dry but full and dirty. Good for bluesy classic rock tone. Not much more than that but sometimes thats all you need
You want an unusable sound, just run EMG's without a battery.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the "telemaster" i made? 3 pickups, bigsby, kill pot for mid pickup, and a 3-way switch? has more options than a strat and lp combined.
Quote by kaneorsomething
strange/unusable tone

Anything with active EMGs.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Gibson Marauders are one of the more unique sounding guitars that I've played.
Quote by kangaxxter
Anything with active EMGs.

Despite not being an EMG-fanboy I call BS.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If you want something different, I would look at a guitarviol.

Theres only one man making them, but they are a guitar with a small radius in the neck. They are designed to be bowed, and the man making them is very nice having sent him an email.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by JesusCrisp
Despite not being an EMG-fanboy I call BS.

Don't mind him, he's just a troll.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JesusCrisp
You better get some guitar with usable tones and some strange sounding pedals.

What part of "purely out of interest" do you not understand?

My answer: The new Fender Modern Player Tele Plus has a humbucker in the bridge, but it has a split coil option that makes it sounds much, much thinner than any single coil. It's pretty cool, but not much for "tonez," but cuts through a mix of effects very well.

Of course, a Fender Jazzmaster is known to get some very interesting sounds through any setup.
I've played something similar to this:
- never heard anything quite like. When I have a spare $500 I want to head around a bunch of the local used shops to see what other odd-ball Japanese gems from the '60s are lying around gathering dust - there always seems to be somthing interesting and unique sounding out there.

Other than that, the only other guitar I managed to get weird/unique sounds from (going from guitar to amp with no effects in the chain) was a Travis Bean that had it's pickups changed for some custom jobs (it was bloody years ago - I can't recall who made them).
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Surprised nobody's said this. But a 12 string could do the trick. You'll constantly be turning heads because people will hear you play and say "wait a second... What?" I've been using a 12 string as my main guitarist about a year and I must say that the sound is definitely unique. Not sure if that's the answer you were looking for but there's my two cents.
Quote by FenderMayer
Surprised nobody's said this. But a 12 string could do the trick. You'll constantly be turning heads because people will hear you play and say "wait a second... What?" I've been using a 12 string as my main guitarist about a year and I must say that the sound is definitely unique. Not sure if that's the answer you were looking for but there's my two cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TcEIblSIf0 < Twelve String for Experimental music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZAxpRi7MbE < Rickenbacker 620/12, with lots of echo, delay, gain.
12 string, danelectro, gretsch (yes, they have a sound all of their own) and 1 off guitars that people have made.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
The Beatles used Rics because John needed a good guitar he could afford. It wasn't until it caught the eye of the Hall family, who owns Ric, that they received the other Rics that made their distinct sound. Back then, you didn't have much choice for electric 12 strings, and if Rickenbacker gave you a free one, you'd play it too.
Quote by Soldier Poet
Danelectro guitars with lipstick pickups? The pickups are unique, the sound isn't that strange though.

I had a Jerry Jones U2 with some noiseless lipsticks that sounded pretty cool. Wish I would have kept it.
What the hell!!!
I have a copy of a Gibson L6-S from '79 I believe. Tone is different, but doesn't really fit anything I play. It sounds pretty godly with a good fuzz in front of it though.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by shecter guy
I have a copy of a Gibson L6-S from '79 I believe. Tone is different, but doesn't really fit anything I play. It sounds pretty godly with a good fuzz in front of it though.

I have a '76.

The all maple body, complete with the Bill Lawrence pickups, make for a very bassy, heavy sounding guitar. The reissues are a pale comparison.

Mine has the split-coil opens disabled. The midknob is where the really unique sounds come in: Cocked Wah, hollowbody simulations, and a jazzbox all in one guitar with one cool knob.

If you use fuzz, you get a better Robert Fripp tone than Fripp himself.
there seems to be a lot of guitar companies doing the "retro" kind of thing such as DiPinto, EKO, italia, eastwood, burns etc... they might be worth looking at.

it could also be worth looking at more obvious things like fender jaguars, mustangs etc.. as those have a pretty distinctive and unusual tone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 1, 2012,
Ric 12's, Gretsch hollowbodies, Fender Teles, and the Moog Guitar* all have distinctive sounds.

* it sounds like Robert Fripp's Parker Fly with all of its effects he uses for his ambient stuff...despite not needing them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 1, 2012,
Any guitar can give you a unique sound. Uniqueness is more about how you play and what effects/amp you use than anything else. I think Marc Ribot is one of the most unique sounding guitarists around these days and I've seen him using Telecasters, Jaguars, Harmony Stratotones, and Gibson/Epiphone semihollows. I've also just gotten into Nels Cline's work (his solo stuff), and he uses Jazzmasters mainly. Just find something that you like and use effects/amps and your playing style to sound unique.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"