I can do pinch harmonics every time I try them but I want to know how to go into them while playing. You are supposed to hold the pick about 3.5mm of it sticking out to get that sound while progressively playing but am I supposed to stick it 3.5mm out the whole time I am playing or what?

Thanks guys.
Hm, this is sort of tough to explain. Its one of those things that become second nature to you after a few years...but I guess you're doing it right. To hit that sweet spot, you attack the string with where your pick meets your thumb. While playing, you just keep it close to there. Thats about all I can suggest, just keep practicing and you'll get into the swing of it.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Everyone I've talked to says not to try and actually pinch the string, but that's the only way I've ever gotten them to work.
Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to attack the string with the side of my pick I guess and it is working. Now I just have to get used to it and I can use it while I play.
I am not familiar with this 3,5 mm rule. I think it is better to just understand what it does. Basicly pinched harmonics are similarly produced as natural or artificial harmonics. A finger needs to touch the string in the right spot(there are several all over the stringlength periodicly) without fretting it and be released instantly to let it ring. The only difference is that you choose a hamonic near your pickups in order to being able to produce the harmonic with the thumb of your right hand.
I achieve that by slightly curling my thumb but there are many ways.
listen to pantera, zz top (except la grange ), van halen, george lynch... you'll learn to develop a feel for when to throw a pinch hamonic into your licks
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by Tyler Bro
I can do pinch harmonics every time I try them but I want to know how to go into them while playing. You are supposed to hold the pick about 3.5mm of it sticking out to get that sound while progressively playing but am I supposed to stick it 3.5mm out the whole time I am playing or what?

Thanks guys.

I would say you are supposed to completely ignore that. I've never heard of that and I'm doing just fine.

If you want to do pinch harmonics while you're playing, just do them how you do them on their own.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
I would say you are supposed to completely ignore that. I've never heard of that and I'm doing just fine.

If you want to do pinch harmonics while you're playing, just do them how you do them on their own.

ya man theres not any rules to playing guitar.you just go for it everyone does it diffrent.
I'm not sure how relevant this is to the 3.5mm thing, but I used to hold my pick with a lot of the pick showing. Couldn't do a pinch to save my life without contorting my hands into 90 degrees (not a metaphor. >_>.

I play with little of the pick showing all the time.