Hey guys, I didn't know where to put the thread in (acoustic or electric because its both) but I was wondering if I can play this song (I'm at school, can't link to youtube sorry :x)

Mayday Parade - I'd Hate To Be You (When People Find Out What This Song Is About)

Tab - http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/mayday_parade/id_hate_to_be_you_when_people_find_out_what_this_song_is_about_solo_ver2_tab.htm

First things first, I've been playing acoustic guitar for nearly a year now, and I can play pretty much the whole song fine on acoustic (I don't own an electric yet) including the intro solo (which isn't included in the tab).

My question is, how hard would it be to play that solo on acoustic (or possible) to play it on acoustic after a years worth of acoustic playing. I've never really played lead, and my heart lies within electric guitars, but I also enjoy acoustic and heard it's a great place to start first.

A lot of the places (the really fast tap like sounding part), the sounds aren't really that strong, in fact it's only the pull offs that sound funny.

So opinions please?

Edit: Oh yeah, and hammering on the intro of said solo (579 579 579..) is really hard to hammer on so I end up picking the first note on the string, hammer on second (clearly) and eco pick it.
Last edited by ThisIsBS at Jan 30, 2012,
it's tricky as it's much harder to bend, i usually end up substiting slides for bends when trying to play an acoustic part simply because it's easier.

Anything with lengthy legato runs or tapping in it and you're probably out of luck though, sure you can do it on an acoustic but you need serious finger strength and great technique to be able to get anything that sounds halfway decent.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh ok, thanks for the reply! Would it be worth learning "perfect" technique on this song, even though it was meant for electric? Or would that be too difficult and would ruin technique in the long run when I DO switch to electric?
To be honest looking at the tab I wouldn't bother, there's easier solos you could work on that you'd be able to get sounding pretty good in a relatively short time -whereas with that particular one you'll be butting your head against a brick wall without really getting anywhere, it'd be a disproportionate amount of effort for very little reward.

You need to start with something simpler, it's not the hardest solo in the world but it'd be tricky enough to nail it on an electric, there's a lot of singing, sustained notes which you simply can't replicate on an acoustic.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the honesty. But it's still pretty fun trying to play, but I guess I'll have to set that aside for later