Okay so I have a question.

Why does my POS SS (Ibanez TBX150R) amp sound acceptable at low volumes but once it starts to get cranked, it just loses its tightness and clarity. It would be good for metal core/death metal and possibley stoner metal, but the fact once you get it to about 1/4 cranked it just sounds like it had an untightened gain mod ( Best thing I can think of!). This also gets worse with a pedal in the front on the clean channel. (Makes it sound better though at low volumes!). It's a good, "No one gets pissed at night amp" but what causes this?

Compared to my Orange Dark Terror, which once cranked seems to get tighter and more dead on. In any situation I would rather my Orange Dark terror.

I have a hunch it deals with the tubes, but I'm not really an amp guru.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
That's the sound of cheap solid-state technology for you. Could also be Fletcher-Munson and always sound like that, you just can't really tell when it's a low volume
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
All the dudes here are gonna say the Toneblaster is crap.... But more than likely it has really cheap speakers in it. Small magnets poor sensitivity,poor cone material. The only way to tell is to switch them out.

Hell in my Lead 15 mini stack the magnets were smaller than hockey pucks. Replaced those speakers with some very good Celestions and it sounds way different , I can actually say good sounding for a 15 watt amp.
That amp should have enough power to push some good speakers. I disagree with a few guys in here.. I can almost make any amp sound good....a lot amps they claim are garbage work ok for me with some tweek, with the exception of a DaVinnci 5 watt amp or the like.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by danvwman
All the dudes here are gonna say the Toneblaster is crap.... But more than likely it has really cheap speakers in it. Small magnets poor sensitivity,poor cone material. The only way to tell is to switch them out.

Hell in my Lead 15 mini stack the magnets were smaller than hockey pucks. Replaced those speakers with some very good Celestions and it sounds way different , I can actually say good sounding for a 15 watt amp.
That amp should have enough power to push some good speakers. I disagree with a few guys in here.. I can almost make any amp sound good....a lot amps they claim are garbage work ok for me with some tweek, with the exception of a DaVinnci 5 watt amp or the like.

It is crap. All the time it's just crap, years ago it was "cool" but after developing an ear for tone it's just an oversized practice amp.

Weren't you the guy trying to say you needed a 100w amp to gig And you said you needed a half/full stack to play in a gym because you need something big and to your defence you ask why else are they made

Honestly from your posts, it seems you never played a tube amp. You always suggest the worst SS amps so I'm guessing you just started playing or waste money on bad amps. Speakers will not change how bad an amp is, it'll make the tone slightly better but nothing drastic on something that's junk.

Think about it, would you put a set of $5,000 tires on a cheap pickup truck that's only worth 3/5's of the tires, or on that brand new Ford that just came out that's $50,000 of top quality parts and work. I would hope you choose the $50,000 Ford.

The same applies to amps, would you rather stick two speakers that are worth $150 each in an amp that's worth only about $300 new, $140 used, or a tube amp that's worth $800 dollars. Personally I would choose to stick them into that $800 tube amp then some $300 SS amp.

Honestly I don't consider your posts of any value to me, so don't take that personal, and I'm not going to reply to anymore on your posts on this thread because last time you got a thread locked and threw it so far off topic. I, myself, am going to wait till someone like Cath posts who builds amps and could probably answer my question very detailed and accurately. I encourage you to research more about amps and ask questions, but don't recommend what everyone knows is junk and try to tell someone otherwise.

Cheers,
Xter
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by danvwman
I can almost make any amp sound good....a lot amps they claim are garbage work ok for me with some tweek,

Clips or you're just blowing smoke...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Xter
Okay so I have a question.

Why does my POS SS (Ibanez TBX150R) amp sound acceptable at low volumes but once it starts to get cranked, it just loses its tightness and clarity. It would be good for metal core/death metal and possibley stoner metal, but the fact once you get it to about 1/4 cranked it just sounds like it had an untightened gain mod ( Best thing I can think of!). This also gets worse with a pedal in the front on the clean channel. (Makes it sound better though at low volumes!). It's a good, "No one gets pissed at night amp" but what causes this?

Compared to my Orange Dark Terror, which once cranked seems to get tighter and more dead on. In any situation I would rather my Orange Dark terror.

I have a hunch it deals with the tubes, but I'm not really an amp guru.

Cheers,
Xter

I think you'll eventually get a more educated answer than mine, but it has to do with the circuit itself and the components in it.

Again, I can't tell the specific values of things, but if say the diodes are expecting a certain input yet they receive a higher value, then they'll give a different signal -- ultimately affecting your tone.

The speakers could certainly be a major culprit, but I'm betting it's more a matter of how the circuit is laid out and the components being used...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
It's likely the circuit design. They just aren't very good amps.

Pull the gain down and see if it fixes the problem.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
It's likely the circuit design. They just aren't very good amps.

Pull the gain down and see if it fixes the problem.

The gain knob never affects this even on the clean channel it'll get spacey and just sound weird and unpleasent.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
The amp may have a sweet spot that may be a far cry from your desired tone. That doesn't necessarily mean that the amp is crap, just that it is incapable of producing a sound you like.

FWIW- Low volume EQ setting are much different from loud volume EQ settings.

My suggestion:

Guitar: set volume to off and tone knob to half.

Amp: set the EQ & gain knobs to half, crank the amp. (Often less gain is needed the louder it gets.)

Gradually add a little guitar volume and gradually tweak the EQ settings on the amp.

Why? Most people crank the guitar, crank the gain on the amp, and then roll off the amp volume to bedroom levels. The speaker is not being pushed so the sound it is reproducing is not revealing the imbalance until the volume is increased.

Think of a funnel. Lots of capacity above the hole, but the funnel restriction determines how much gets through.

My suggestion is more like a horn. A small amount of input going in then being amplified going out.

By setting everything to half, one can add or subtract at each stage of the EQ process.
Last edited by irnmadn88 at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by Arby911
Clips or you're just blowing smoke...

Does not really matter here. The only thing that matters is what the dudes in the tin foil hat click think.
And I don't have time to waste on that crap.You guys will just claim its magik or trickery or something dumb like that
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Does not really matter here. The only thing that matters is what the dudes in the tin foil hat click think.
And I don't have time to waste on that crap.You guys will just claim its magik or trickery or something dumb like that

Didn't think so...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by irnmadn88
The amp may have a sweet spot that may be a far cry from your desired tone. That doesn't necessarily mean that the amp is crap, just that it is incapable of producing a sound you like.

FWIW- Low volume EQ setting are much different from loud volume EQ settings.

My suggestion:

Guitar: set volume to off and tone knob to half.

Amp: set the EQ & gain knobs to half, crank the amp. (Often less gain is needed the louder it gets.)

Gradually add a little guitar volume and gradually tweak the EQ settings on the amp.

Why? Most people crank the guitar, crank the gain on the amp, and then roll off the amp volume to bedroom levels. The speaker is not being pushed so the sound it is reproducing is not revealing the imbalance until the volume is increased.

Think of a funnel. Lots of capacity above the hole, but the funnel restriction determines how much gets through.

My suggestion is more like a horn. A small amount of input going in then being amplified going out.

By setting everything to half, one can add or subtract at each stage of the EQ process.

I've done that already. It's nothing with the EQ itself or the gain. It's just no matter how loud it gets, it just gets "spacey" and loses its tightness. Even the clean cranked with all the EQs at 12, it just does it.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
I've done that already. It's nothing with the EQ itself or the gain. It's just no matter how loud it gets, it just gets "spacey" and loses its tightness. Even the clean cranked with all the EQs at 12, it just does it.

Again, sounds like it's either the original circuit or a component has failed and can't handle the increased power.

Any clips?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by Xter

Is the reverb off? What you describe can be a symptom of running too much signal through a crappy reverb set too high.
Quote by richardlpalmer
Again, sounds like it's either the original circuit or a component has failed and can't handle the increased power.

Any clips?

Nope, don't have a camera/video recorder.

Quote by irnmadn88
Is the reverb off? What you describe can be a symptom of running too much signal through a crappy reverb set too high.

I always run the reverb on zero, just sounds awful to me.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Jan 30, 2012,
The horrible sound you are hearing is referred to amp clipping. Something you do not want on a SS amp.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Try a tubescreamer

wait

I think the tubescreamer would be better with my Orange Dark Terror
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter

I think the tubescreamer would be better with my Orange Dark Terror

Nah!

A tubescreamer is the answer to every "gear not sounding good" problem.
Just stick a tubescreamer in front of it, crank the gain and it'll sound good.

I pwomise
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by irnmadn88

Guessing you didn't read the OP. Already got a better amp
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
^^^ Everyone's already on.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Crap SS amp sounds crap when you turn it up.
STOP THE PRESSES!!! An unexplainable phenomenon has been discovered!

just
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100