I've borrowed volume pedals before and the like and I use them primarily for swells and ambient playing. I have a few in mind, but I'm sort of unsure which one to go with. Basically, I'm looking for a fairly linear taper, durable build quality, and no string design like Ernie Ball. I'd like to keep the price range around $120 and lower, but I can make an exception. I don't need to buy one before a certain time, but if I went over that budget I would have to wait longer than I would prefer to wait since a playing date is quickly approaching. I'm looking at...

Morley Volume Plus
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
Visual Sound Visual Volume (newer metal construction models...and used)

Suggestions? The reason I'm not just going with my guitar volume knob, is because it cleans up too much when I want to do a dirty swell.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
How is the tone coloration with that? Is it very noticeable. That's another thing that I am concerned about.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I play a lot of clean jazz and really haven't noticed any coloration with it. I also play some classic rock and country. Again, it doesn't seem to add any coloration - it just does a good job of letting me add volume swells.

Not sure about the other pedals you mentioned, but this one also has the capability to set the minimum volume level. Also has a tuner output and the ability to connect to an expression pedal. I've occasionally plugged it into my wah. If you happen to live near a Guitar Center, I'd give it a try.
I've had the Dunlop DVP1 for about a year now. it's really transparent, built like a tank...and you can adjust the volume range on it to fine tune it to your liking. that one gets my vote!

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
If you have the pedalboard room, boss FV-500 for sure.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
+1 to the Morley. They have a great sweep. I don't have that particular volume pedal so I am speaking about use with my Mini Volume/Wah pedal. But it does a great job when I need a little bit of ambience with the volume.