I saw a similar kind of thread but it was last posted in over a year ago, so I wasn't sure if I was to bump that one or not (plus, it's not the exact same subject, only similar). Hopefully this is alright.

What albums changed the way you listen to music and how? This could be a positive and/or a negative change (good albums and bad albums).

Here are some examples

My Bloody Valentine-Loveless: Changed how I paid attention to layering in music and how different song writing is to song execution.
Serge Gainsbourg-Histoire de Melody Nelson: Changed how I looked at concept albums. They don't have to be long and daunting. This concept album is short, sweet and just what it needs to be.
Eminem-Encore: Made me appreciate his older albums more and made me realize the difference between good rap and rap that is subpar (inb4 all rap sux lol)

Alright guys. Hopefully this isn't too confusing/stupid or anything. If so, you know what to do!
Charge iPod.

Switch iPod on.

Put headphones in ears.

Click play.

No album has changed that routine.
Narrow Stairs - Death Cab for Cutie
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Kid A, made me realise how much I love concepts and songs sliding into each other. Made me start listening to an album in it's entirety if I had the time.

Marquee Moon, made me realise just how important it is that every instrument is active and not just have the bass and drums be passive instruments as it is in most rock I usually despise.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
^ yeah I think Kid A was huge for many listeners, including myself. Brilliant album.
Also, same goes with Television. I'm actually listening to it now coincidentally . There isn't many albums like that one.

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Eminem is subpar rap though.

I dunno. I really like his earlier work, especially Slim Shady LP. Granted there are far better rappers, but I don't see anything wrong with what he was doing before. I guess it's just my opinion in the end.
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Jan 30, 2012,
My Chemical Romance-Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Taught me to be more open-minded about music and shit.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Army Of The Pharoahs, they introduced me to rap which I had previously avoided my entire life.
Mastodon, every one of their progressing albums has given me different perspectives to music.
Alkaline Trio, made me realize how vocals can be used to take a simple chord progression and make the overall sound of the song complete.
All my friends are Imaginary

"There was much of the beautiful,
much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible,
and not a little of that which might have excited disgust"

Swan Song
A Story by the Earl of Slander
Cliche, but:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.

Made me truly appreciate listening to an album from start to finish, and not looking at individual songs so much as the whole album as a piece of art.
Bon Iver's "For Emma: Forever Ago"
This is the first album that made me stop what I was doing, lay down on my bed, close my eyes and just let the music wash over me. It may have been the timing of it, but I had never done that before. Now for almost all new music I get, this is the way I listen to it. And is still my favorite album of all time after (What my Ipod tells me is) 500+ times through.

Just recently got Tom Waits' "Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards"
Same sort of thing. It's a very striking album. I swear it's got some subliminal thing going on because since I got it, I can't stop listening to it and I can't tolerate to hear anything else.

EDIT:
I guess another important one would be Dre's "The Chronic"
Junior year of high school. The album that got me into rap. Now I can't live without it.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Jan 30, 2012,
Doppelgänger by Fall of Troy got me in to harsh, screamed vocals, which pretty much opened an entire other side to music up to me I would never have listened to previously.
Quote by benonbass1
Doppelgänger by Fall of Troy got me in to harsh, screamed vocals, which pretty much opened an entire other side to music up to me I would never have listened to previously.

Wow, that's what I was about to say, also that album really is a work of art.

Also, Deloused in the Comatorium. It was the first album, and almost the only one, that I could put on play, go in my room, and just lay down and feel complete bliss. Idk what is about it, but the album is brilliant.
Jack De Mello - Music of Hawaii.

total different opinion of how orchestrations and contemporary music can meld.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

EDIT: Seriously though,

Quote by FireHawk
The Downward Spiral

This!
Last edited by Jyrgen at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by frankv
Binaural took the the word "grower" to a whole new level for me. Only started to properly appreciate it after about two years.

I'm sure you remember from the Pearl Jam thread that I have loved it from the first moment I heard it. Hell, it's still my favorite even a couple years later.
Quote by FireHawk
The Downward Spiral

This was another big one.

Songs for the Deaf
was also a big player.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Inside In / Inside Out by The Kooks.
Relighted an extinguished passion for music in me
(and also made me realize that british accent f*cking rocks)
You'll Never Walk Alone!
I feel posts with images attract more attention than posts with just text. Whether it be because it's just eye-catching and the album art intrigues people to look into it and maybe try it, or the fact that posts loaded down with large images take up so much space and are very annoying, they still attract more attention.

Both of these albums (plus a Bob Dylan Best Of compilation) started me on down the folk road, which is pretty much all I listen to these days.

I encourage people to give these albums a try (though I do like The Mountain Goats All Hail West Texas a bit more than Tallahassee)! As well as my personal favorite Bob Dylan album, Blood on the Tracks, if you want!
Last edited by institutions at Jan 30, 2012,

made me view music differently
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump

Before I listened to this I was under the impression the only good music was technically difficult with many guitar solos. It also had to be very heavy. After hearing this very under-rated masterpiece I just started listening to so many different genres of music, Silversun Pickups are gods in my eyes
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
Probably Nirvana's Nevermind album. At the time, I was ONLY BRUTALZ METAL YO. Starting with Nirvana, I was getting into punk and even further, noise rock and such. Oh and Silversun Pickups are pretty sweet too.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Pantera - vulgar display of power
Forever shouting 'IM THE DEVIL I CAN DO WHAT I WANT' at inappropriate times.

Black Sabbath - s/t
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Kylesa - Static Tension
Tool - Lateralus
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
(as they come to mind)

"Master of Puppets" - Metallica (being 14, etc.)
"Leviathan" - Mastodon
"Australasia" - Pelican
"Jesu"- Jesu
"Loveless" - My Bloody Valentine
"Menos el Oso"- Minus the Bear
"Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" - Explosions in the Sky
"F#A#∞" - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
"Doppleganger" - The Fall of Troy
"Jane Doe" - Converge
"Board Up the House" - Genghis Tron
"Clients" - The Red Chord
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", "Rubber Soul" - The Beatles
"Pet Sounds" - The Beach Boys
"Gorillaz", "Plastic Beach" - Gorillaz
"Dummy" - Portishead
"The Fall of Math" - 65daysofstatic
"Louder Than Bombs" - The Smiths

etc. etc. etc.

I could go on for a while.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20