So I'm getting a pretty nice income tax return and I was planning on buying a new laptop. I also figured that I would go ahead and buy some recording software while I was at it. So here are my questions:

What are some considerations I need to look for when buying the laptop itself? Do I need to make sure that I get a certain type of sound card? My budget is $500 for the laptop.

What would be the best software for some basement guitar recording? I'm not looking for professional level software since this is just a hobby so I couldn't see me paying much more than $100 for it.

I've made recordings before by using my audio out jack on my amp to plug into the laptop's microphone jack. I used Audacity to record but I couldn't listen to the playback while I played because the sound was delayed by about a half second. I done some research and found that it is most likely a combination of my processor speed and sound card since my laptop was so old.

Guitar: Ibanez RG321
AMP: Line 6 Spider IV 75W

Thanks in advance.
I've always been a fan of Adobe Audition ever since I was given a free copy lol. But the program itself shouldn't cost more than $99 and it's very straight forward.

I've never used a laptop for recording but I would just make sure you have adequate processor speed and plenty of RAM. As far as the delay in playback, try downloading ASIO4ALL drivers. That solved my delay problems.
Quote by vesticles3562
I've always been a fan of Adobe Audition ever since I was given a free copy lol. But the program itself shouldn't cost more than $99 and it's very straight forward.

I've never used a laptop for recording but I would just make sure you have adequate processor speed and plenty of RAM. As far as the delay in playback, try downloading ASIO4ALL drivers. That solved my delay problems.

I'll definitely look into both of those options. Thank you.

Quote by sanjinator17

I think every Mac comes with garageband, which can get stuff done. I may be wrong

I've heard good things about Garageband, but I'm not sure I want to get a Mac. I've played around on them but I just prefer a PC.