I've been playing guitar for 7 years. Self taught. Because I'm self taught I have no knowledge of theory, scales/modes or any of that. I love neo-classical guitar and would love to play that better.
So I want to learn theory/tab but have no clue where to start. Do I learn the notes? How? Also, I have a hard time learning from a book.
Any tips? I know there are some crazy shredders on this site.
How did you start learning theory and the like?
Quote by trainspotted11
I've been playing guitar for 7 years. Self taught. Because I'm self taught I have no knowledge of theory, scales/modes or any of that. I love neo-classical guitar and would love to play that better.
So I want to learn theory/tab but have no clue where to start. Do I learn the notes? How? Also, I have a hard time learning from a book.
Any tips? I know there are some crazy shredders on this site.
How did you start learning theory and the like?

No relation there. Being self-taught implies the lack of a teacher, not learning material. Plenty of theory information in the internet, as well as on this site.

Learn the notes on fretboard, basic chords, and I guess the major scale, but not just learn, try to find practical use for it.
Normally I would recommend a couple of books, but since you don't want to go that route, have you considered one of the pay lesson sites like Jamplay.com? (I'm not affiliated with them, but did some reviews of them for a third party and found them to be pretty worthwhile and very reasonably priced for what you get).

Figuring out a way to have some sort of structured lessons - whether it's private lessons with a teacher, a book/DVD series, or something like that is definitely the way to go if you want to take your playing to the next level.
just remember u need to KNOW the scale and each note it consists of and after a while listen to stuff and use it. if u sound like u r playing it though simply, then u don't really know its components. use a metronome and play up and down and from different starting ponits.
there's really not a lot theoretically to neoclassical, unless you want to analyze the classical music it's based on specifically. it's more about playing fast and clean than the actual note content, honestly. you'll spend a lot more time by a metronome than a theory book.
modes are a social construct
Learning all of the notes on the fretboard has been a tremendous help ever since i learned them. to learn them, i would pick a note and find it on one string and play it, then move to the next string and so on. This not only helped me find the names of the notes on the fretboard, but also helped trained my ear to know what each note sounded like. I also found it very helpful to play the same riff or series of notes at as many different places on the fret board as i could find.
Where to start? Learn the notes on the fretboard, while simultaneously learning scale and chord construction. Those are the core concepts that you will be using in song analysis and playing.

As for being self-taught, you can still learn theory and correct technique with the available resources online and in shops, but if you feel that you need someone to oversee your learning, don't hesitate to go down that route; it'll help you immensely if you're that way inclined.