Well, I'm done with school and unemployed, and I'm not going to beg for a job or anything of the sort.

But rather than run through my gear and seek stuff to write a view on whether its mundane or not, I've e-mailed the management to several bands I love and just asked if I could conduct an interview with them for ultimate-guitar.com.

So far, 1 has already indicated he would like to.

I just seek a general UG approval before it seems like I'm just playing the UG Contribution system or something. I'm basically looking for resume work for future writing jobs, and figured I'd start with something that I would find awesome and provide UG with an interview or three.

So. Hopefully others think this is a good idea?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Thanks Tom. I just sent that e-mail per your advice.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Ian MacKaye has agreed to do an interview, as has - in theory - David Bazan.

Ian responded to the promo e-mail personally. I was pleased.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
I think its great and im cool with the idea, but lets get some more opinions. I got your pm, and I prefer old school pm's lol.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
^ I also prefer old school PMs. You're forced to respond to it. It's nicer... but, we're both from 04. so that's us.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
I have e-mailed several artists management, including (but not limited to):

Les Claypool [Primus]

Dave Navarro [Jane's Addiction]

Kim Thayil [Soundgarden]

Tom Morello [the Nightwatchman, Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave]

Matt Bellamy [Muse]

Josh Klinghoffer [the Red Hot Chili Peppers, formerly Beck and Gnarls Barkley]

Max Bemis [Say Anything]
His management e-mailed back and said he just finished the US & UK tour and he would like to rest for a while before he does press/work again. I intend to contact again when his song shop opens up later in summer.

David Bazan [Pedro the Lion]
His management and I have been in touch and when he finishes the living room show tour, he will give an interview.

I'd like to do an interview with any artist I like that UG is also interested in. Someone PMed me saying they'd like me to interview Beck Hansen, which I would love to do, but his management requires you to say you'd be willing $10,000 to do the interview (which is outrageous, and, no.)
Unfortunately, its obviously true that the more well known an artist is, the harder it is to get in contact with them & the less likely it is for them to do an interview (hence my success with the smaller and more independent artists - Max Bemis, Ian MacKaye, David Bazan, etc.).
But I'm going to keep at it and hopefully deliver more front-page worthy stuff.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
um, update:
1. Juan Alderete (bassist for the Mars Volta, Racer X, Big Sir) interview happened, but as he's on tour, he won't get it back to me finalized until July (I've given virtually every artist say on if they want to take out/edit out anything they said, because, you know, I'm not paying them. I think it's only respectful to give them that much haha.)
2. I interviewed Arun Bali (lead guitarist for Saves the Day & Two Tongues) yesterday and am typing it up as we speak and will be e-mailing it to him for approval tonight and I hope it doesn't take long to get back.
3. David Bazan interview will happen after this leg of the living room tour. He can't do it while on this tour as he is both driving himself everywhere and his daughter is going on the tour since it's summer. Daddy has his priorities straight, and good for him.
4. I intend to interview Randy Strohmeyer from Finch, although I'm not sure how much the world cares (which is too bad, because there's some incredible guitar work and interplay and musicality on Say hello to sunshine and their final EP and they were a great band). He's actually sort of become a friend of mine, and I'm going to write a book about Finch approved by the people who were last in the band.

5. Feel free to make more suggestions, but the bigger the artist: the harder it is to get in touch with them.
It's not like I'm this huge punk rock fan (although I guess I am.) It's that Max Bemis, Arun Bali, and Ian MacKaye responded, and Beck, Josh Klinghoffer, Dave Navarro, and so forth did not.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie