Page 1 of 2
So I have trouble trying to pick out what to play on guitar when I'm in front of people. I don't mean a lot of people, just like if someone comes into the room, sees my guitar, and asks me to play something. I'm not nervous playing anything, but I just never can get an idea of what to play, so basically I just strum chords or something stupid. I can sing when I play, but I don't think I have a good voice, so I don't feel confident enough to do that. Also, I could play a scale or something, but then I feel as if I'm showing off, which I don't want to do.

So pit, what do you think is the best thing to play when you're put on the spot (and you can't really sing)?
Electric Six - Gay Bar. Not a joke, I'm serious.

Deadly serious.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
The Pink Panther Theme.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Either just play whatever song that comes to mind or (and this is the best option) show off and play those scales or some awesome solo. It's your chance to pretend that you are randy rhoads or van halen or cc deville. don't let it go to waste. It's nice to do something good from time to time and even better if there is someone there to appreciate it.
I'm a drummer.

(I just play anything I can think of. Usually my mind goes fairly blank, so just whatever song I think of first.)
I have done this before. It's called Guitar Center syndrome.

I walked into one once and found the drums section. I ended up playing Metallica, even though I had a HUGE collection of impressive Dream Theater songs that I could have played.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Guns n' Roses - Nightrain or Mr. Brownstone probably. Or just improvise some funky riffs with a blues scale.
I just play something completely atonal and jagged. Eventually the word will spread, and nobody will ask you to play anything ever again. Job done.
Quote by jetfuel495
I play original tracks, then when people say "oh that was awesome what was that song called?" I'll be all like "lol idk haven't thought of a name yet"

/pretentiousdouche

That's never happened.

OT: Ride Wit Me by Nelly. Everyone loves it.
Yeah, but you need multiple guitars to get the beauty across! And when are you going to jam with that dude that keeps wanting to make a band?
Quote by S0n1c '97
I have done this before. It's called Guitar Center syndrome.

I walked into one once and found the drums section. I ended up playing Metallica, even though I had a HUGE collection of impressive Dream Theater songs that I could have played.

That's the way I feel. After I play something crappy, I think later when I'm playing by myself, "why the hell did I not play this song?"
It's always hard to think of anything when you're put on the spot. That's why I think everyone should have a song ready just for those occasions. It should be an easily recognisable song in standard tuning.

I would probably play Chet Atkins' arrangement of "Yesterday"
I can't believe I'm saying this, but if you have an acoustic and you just play the typical 4-chord song, finger picking some random notes (while still sounding good of course) chicks dig it. Some guy did that today in class and all the girls were freaking out. The worst part was some guy that was super impressed when the guy with the guitar started playing "Nothing Else Matters" as if he were shredding like crazy. I don't get it.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I play Defeater. I Don't Mind. Panty dropper.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
I play Defeater. I Don't Mind. Panty dropper.

Played this for my ex while we were still dating.

It's definitely a good decision. She still considers it the nicest thing anyone's ever done for her.
Quote by jetfuel495
And when you broke up you played Headstone, right?

He killed her?!??
Mary had a Little Lamb. Seriously. This song will have the bitches frothing at the clunge
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Taylor - Jack Johnson, or Better Man - Pearl Jam if you play acoustics.
Corduroy - Pearl Jam or Can't Stop - RHCP if you're on electricals.

Edit: The Girl - City and Colour, if playing for a girl. They lap that shit up like a cat with sour milk.
Last edited by Dory77 at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by jetfuel495

It will when I play the newest tab I posted in public!

It happens to me all the time I take pride in showing my originals to people, even if I'm terribly drunk. Shoot to thrill brotha
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
If I'm playing electric, usually Iron Maiden riffs or random riffs that I make up.
If acoustic, usually a jazz progression because they sound ....different.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
If I'm trying to be funny, I usually play Yakety Axe by Chet Atkins.
If I'm legitimately trying to "show off", though, I'll usually whip out some blues improv.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I tell people that I don't want to play in front of them. As most likely all of the people posting in here like "Y'know, I bust out a Dream Theater solo on the down low" do.
Quote by jetfuel495
I'm just gonna clone myself, problem solved.

Speaking of that guy, I'm trying to set something up with him, another guitarist, and a drummer. It'll totes be rad.

I want to be in a band with Jay
Quote by jetfuel495
well get over here bro and we can take over the world

Chicago's far away, though...

(That's where you are right? Chicago?)
Just choose a song ahead of time for the occasion. I usually ask them if there is anything they want me to play and I will tell them if I know it. If they don't have any I'll just play the song I chose before. Usually I'll play Metallica or The Beatles, depending on whether I have an acoustic or electric. I'll also play a lot of Sublime songs because that is mostly what I know, and a lot of their songs do sound good acoustic or electric.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by jetfuel495

Or, because I know you like Gaslight. Blue Jeans and White T Shirts. Always get's 'em.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by jetfuel495
yes

just do it

i'll drop out and everything

COME ON

I can't have that now, man. You go and get all book-learned.
Page 1 of 2