I currently have a Vox VT40+ and really do not like it at all. Before that I had a Crate VFX that sounded great.

In the $400 price range, is a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 a good choice? Does it have a tube sound? (My old Crate VFX had tube sound, but the Vox doesnt at all)

I cant find anywhere to test the Vypyr 60 out so I resorted to asking online...

I play mostly alternative/rock/some metal.

Thanks for any help
it seems that its hard to get a peavey vypyr tube 60, unless you use like ebay or something. you can get a used one for about $380. im also looking to get one in a week or two.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
It's one heck of an amp. I absolutely love mine. I have a Vox AD30VT-XL, which I pulled out the other day, and it doesn't hold a candle to the Vypyr. I got mine (with the Sanpera II) for $350, so I'm sure you can find one sub-$400.

Get the Vypyr. You won't regret it.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
thanks, im reading about it everywhere and it looks really great for what i need.... I've seen them cheap on craigslist but they sell right away.

I might just end up buying it new. The one thing that sucks is the pedal for it costs another $100+. Looks really cool to have.
Quote by lostfuze
thanks, im reading about it everywhere and it looks really great for what i need.... I've seen them cheap on craigslist but they sell right away.

I might just end up buying it new. The one thing that sucks is the pedal for it costs another $100+. Looks really cool to have.

You may just have to troll CL for a while. If you can get the amp cheaper, then you've got a foot up on getting the pedal (which, by the way, is almost useless to me--I only use mine once a week for band practice). Try searching areas other than the one your in. For example, I live in the Space Coast, but I had to search north of Orlando (two hours away--which did not show up on my initial scan of the Space Coast) to find my Vypyr. It was worth the drive.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
If versatility is your game, there really is no better amp in the price range (or even a bit above, for that matter).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I definitely like my Vypyr 60 better. Some would say that for low-mid gain stuff the Vox's are better but I don't know. The Vypyr 60 is just such a joy. I have a mid gain'ish clip called 'Vypyr 60 - Brit' or something like that and shredkev has a bunch of great Vypyr 60 clips on youtube.

Do it!