im havin trouble understanding what chords fit with the harmonic minor scale. for example: i know that in the key of the harmonic minor scale would be ABCDEFG# but im confused what chords fit because of the raised 7th degree. Can anybody help please? thankyou.
Basically you have your normal minor environment, except some of the chords are altered to fit the raised 7th. It's hard to think of harmonic minor as a scale without thinking of it harmonically first, hence the name.

Normally you have: i ii dim III iv v VI VII
That minor v is weak in resolution compared to the dominant, major V chord. Composers realized this and started raising the third of the V chord to make it major and get that full dominant effect. When you reduce that harmony to a scale you end up with the harmonic minor.

This is a really, really brief explanation and there's a lot more to it but hopefully that shines some light.

tl;dr or don't care. i ii dim III iv V VI VII
or in Am: Am, B dim, C, Dm, E, F, G
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The first thing you need to understand is that a scale is a categorical model of a set of notes. They don't take into account the context in which the notes are used.

In any key, you can use all 12 chromatic notes in the right time and place.

With that in mind, do not think about the harmonic minor scale, but rather the minor TONALITY. All that means is that there is a prominent minor 3rd degree of scale. Whatever harmony you come up with, there is a scale or mode to fit it.

In the case of the harmonic minor, the raised 7th comes from the need to have a dominant V chord to resolve to I. A minor 7th would mean that the V chord is a minor chord, which isn't as compelling in leading back to I. The function of the raised 7th is thus as a leading tone, LEADING into 1. When we hear this as a major 3rd in the V chord, it becomes magnetically attracted to I.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jan 30, 2012,
If you don't understand that, then how can you understand how any chord goes with any scale? Learn the theory of chord construction, it'll help you in the long run.
The harmonic minor scale is usually employed when a V chord is used in a minor progression.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Xiaoxi
The first thing you need to understand is that a scale is a categorical model of a set of notes. They don't take into account the context in which the notes are used.

In any key, you can use all 12 chromatic notes in the right time and place.

With that in mind, do not think about the harmonic minor scale, but rather the minor TONALITY. All that means is that there is a prominent minor 3rd degree of scale. Whatever harmony you come up with, there is a scale or mode to fit it.

In the case of the harmonic minor, the raised 7th comes from the need to have a dominant V chord to resolve to I. A minor 7th would mean that the V chord is a minor chord, which isn't as compelling in leading back to I. The function of the raised 7th is thus as a leading tone, LEADING into 1. When we hear this as a major 3rd in the V chord, it becomes magnetically attracted to I.

I love the way you explain music theory.

Only if I could understand it as much.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by petered1
im havin trouble understanding what chords fit with the harmonic minor scale. for example: i know that in the key of the harmonic minor scale would be ABCDEFG# but im confused what chords fit because of the raised 7th degree. Can anybody help please? thankyou.

Do you know how to harmonize a scale? Either way, the chords of this scale aren't so necessary.

The only ones you would use are the Vb9b13 and viio7. You can create tension on the I by making use of the raised 7th, but then resolve it.
---8-7-4-5
-9-6-5-5-5
-7-7-5-5-5
-9-6-6-6-
-8-7-0-0-0
---------
I have some doubts too. Can someone just say if I am right: so in D harmonic minor chords should be Dm, Edim, Faug, Gm , A, A#m C#dim . So I guest that I can use A# major (A# D F) ,and A# dim(A# C# E) too, beacuse their notes belongs to D harmonic minor; same with Gdim. So ?
^^ In keys you can play any note or chord you wish. There are no rules saying you can't play x note or chord.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by kimi_page
I have some doubts too. Can someone just say if I am right: so in D harmonic minor chords should be Dm, Edim, Faug, Gm , A, A#m C#dim . So I guest that I can use A# major (A# D F) ,and A# dim(A# C# E) too, beacuse their notes belongs to D harmonic minor; same with Gdim. So ?

Bbmaj - Bb D F.