Hey UG.

I have hit my local Muso up and quoted me a peavey Vypyr 30 for $199 AUD w/ possible extra discount (company stuffed me around previously)

After playing around on the Vypyr 75 and with my minimal knowledge of transtube technology (i assume they aren't fantastic due to it still having a solid state output system) but regardless its in my price range and is 100x better than my current setup.

I have an ibanez RGR321EX (inf1/2) fixed bridge
Digitech rp50 (second hand cost me $15)

and currently using an ashton GA10 BASIC practice amp thats more than a decade old.

Mainly a bedroom guitarist but have to keep up with an electric drum kit with a 30w bass amp.

I play a wide variety of styles the vypyr satisfied the majority of them.
from Ac/dc to steve vai and practically anything from the 60's to early 90's as far as rock, metal, and killer guitarists go.

so as for the questions.

Is the peavey vypyr 30 decent as far as amps go?

transtube technology? pointless?

sanpera pedals ( I or II ) necessity or just pleasure?

are there any other amps that i should be considering around the same price range 200-250 AUD$?

i appreciate any advice, cheers guys.
I actually am selling my peavey 30w because I simply just don't use it.

If you want to buy, send me a message.

But overall, this amp can get a lot of very good tones.
If you need the versatility, it's a very good amp for the money.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Vypyr is a solid modeling amp, it gives pretty good tone but keep in mind about half of the effects on it are useless. The ones that are worth anything sound pretty decent considering the price tag. If you have solid access to a computer the Fender Mustang series is worth checking out as well.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
@tyler - thanks but no thanks its fairly cheap new no need to buy s/hand.

@offworld92 - versatility is just what I'm after.

@flux'D - oh im well aware of the uselessness that reverse effect, cant do jack with that. but yeah it seemed to go well. ill check out those fenders now

thanks for the replys guys.
flux'd - with the fender mustang i see the I and II are fairly similiar besides the I =8"/20w and II = 12"/40w

the II is double the price for double the watts but practically the same features until i can get my hands on one to check out can you provide any insight on whether ill need the extra 20w?
The watts aren't important. The speaker size is. It's almost comical how bad a 8" speaker sounds compared to a 12" speaker.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i figured both would play some role in the importance of sound quality. Hows the sanpera II ?
Quote by Offworld92
The watts aren't important. The speaker size is. It's almost comical how bad a 8" speaker sounds compared to a 12" speaker.

im glad ill be able to hear that difference pretty soon lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^Offworld nailed it, guitar tracks are written with 12" speakers. Well, 10" and 12" but the 12 is used 90% of the time.

Both the Vypyr and the Mustang are great modeling amps and the two most popular ones today. In a nutshell..

-The Vypyr does higher gain better, everything built into the amp
-The Mustang does clean and crunch better, dependent on a computer but infinitely more versatile due to the software

Neither are bad at what they do but they have their strong points.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
seeings as both amps are decent i guess ill just have to sit them down side by side and compare.

fantastic info guys. appreciate the help
Quote by Forum User
i figured both would play some role in the importance of sound quality. Hows the sanpera II ?

It has it's flaws, but it's pretty awesome if you want to play under "live" conditions (being able to control everything at your feet in real time, and not bending over to mess with the amp).

Biggest flaw in the pedal is that the looper is almost useless. Even if you as a player has perfect timing, the looper will either add some silence onto or cut short the end of your loop. I haven't figured out a way around this yet.

The other thing is that there's a delay when you change patches. I figured out a way around this - just hold the button down for a second, and then release it when you want to change. Major downside is that if you're not careful, you can overwrite the patch you want to change to with the one you're using.

My verdict, is that if you're familiar with the amp and the pedal, and you know what you're doing it, the pros it gives you easily outweigh it's flaws. It really makes the Vypyr so much more functional and versatile. Like a little thing I love, for instance, you can program a patch with an effect, but have it set so that it's naturally "off" when you switch to the channel, and you have to turn it on manually. That is something that you can't do with the amp alone.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 30, 2012,
I've had a small play with one and it seemed functional however i might just get the sanpera I for the expression pedal and limited functionality. doesn't need to have too many bells and whistles.