So I just picked up a black russian muff, circa 96 or so. As soon as I plugged her in my cleans were shot. I have a peavey classic 30 and it really dulls the sound of my telecaster. It sounds like I have the tone half way.

I also have a dunlop wah and an mxr m66, neither of which are true bypass and they dont hurt the cleans like this.

is the russian muff notorious for this?
Also I managed to fix the problem by running the muff alone in my effects loop. Is there anything wrong with this? I know that no one runs OD/Dist pedals in their effects loop, surely there must be a reason why?
Guitars:
'95 MIM black label strat
'99 MIM telecaster
'05 Squier bullet hardtail
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
'94 Peavey Classic 30 w/WGS ET65 + 2x12
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
The bypass is done the same as on MXRs, so I'm surprised you didn't notice with one of your other pedals. It's just the bypass. If you true-bypass the pedal, it'll never affect your tone when switched off again.

As for the loop thing, most people don't run dirt boxes in the loop because you usually want it to push the preamp, not the power amp. Plus, the loss of preamp filtering can make your distortion sound much harsher.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
My od takes a Little tiny bit of sparkle away but this muff murders it.

So if it sounds decent to me in the FX loop, I should just roll with it?
Guitars:
'99 MIM telecaster
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
I would. I mean, modifying the bypass isn't hard, but why bother if you're okay with the sound?
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
If you're ok with it in the loop, I guess go with that. If it was me, I would get it modded, or get a true bypass looper.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by chip46
You don't have to modify the actual pedal itself though, just throw it in a true bypass looper with a single loop.

Like this: (except that you can build one much cheaper)
http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=30

Would this be any different than my effects loop sound wise? at 35 bucks that sounds cool.

And i'd prefer not to mod it because its discontinued. I assume it'll grow mildly desirable so I don't really wanna molest it. Even if its for the best.
Guitars:
'99 MIM telecaster
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
Quote by John.Garcia33
Would this be any different than my effects loop sound wise? at 35 bucks that sounds cool.

And i'd prefer not to mod it because its discontinued. I assume it'll grow mildly desirable so I don't really wanna molest it. Even if its for the best.

Totally different. Your effects loop is essentially putting the "effect" of the pedal between your preamp and your poweramp. With this looper, your muff would be out of the pedal chain in it's own loop, until you step on the looper button.

Edit: You don't have to buy this exact looper, but this video explains what they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqXL3AAweDE
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by John.Garcia33

I guess it's all preference. I wouldn't run dirt pedals in the loop but that's me. Plus it's requires extra longer cables to make it to your amp.

I wouldn't mod the pedal, like you said. There are people that can make you a simple TB looper for cheap if you don't want to build your own. Guys like Tim (greeny23 here on the forums, Toyroom Effects is his company name). I would offer to make it, but I'm low on money and parts right now.
If it's the big box one, you should totally just sell it to me.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
If it's the big box one, you should totally just sell it to me.

Lol It's a big one? idk its black not the green one, a little smaller than the american one.

I guess i'll just keep messing around with it until my cleans sound alright.
Guitars:
'99 MIM telecaster
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
I want one of these in the big 6 screw box.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

oh no not that one, lol. Is there anything else I could try as a buffer? I'm probably just gonna end up having to sell this pedal at this point.
Guitars:
'99 MIM telecaster
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
That totally just slipped my mind somehow. Im just gonna buy the one you showed me probably cause I just need one asap, but how do I hook up my muff to it? like how does it work?
Guitars:
'99 MIM telecaster
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
You hook up the looper like a normal pedal. Guitar to in and out to amp. Then send goes to in of the Muff and return goes to out of Muff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Okay so I can leave the muff always on and just use the looper as the new on and off switch? and I can leave the other two pedals in the chain after the looper yes?
Guitars:
'99 MIM telecaster
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff