I want to learn how to play musically. I've been playing the same junk for years, and the only things i've picked up musically is the major scale and how to construct basic chords. I'm diddling with the minors now. I'm bored of my playing, and I'm determined to be a better guitarist.

I think I want to try a book or two, cause it's the closest thing I'll get to a teacher. I understand how to read music (I've been taught saxophone in school band) so nothing that basic.
BLANKBLANK
Well it sounds like you're not exactly clear on your goals for the instrument mate. Sean on this forum offers a free mentoring program (I think) which may be good for someone in your position.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I might look into this, so called Sean.

I just want to be taught properly.

I can't think of anyway of explaining how I feel about guitar right now than that. I'm sick of browsing articles on the internet that all teach different ways and just end up getting me all confused inside.
BLANKBLANK
Mate, think about what you want to accomplish, and go from there.
Not just about what you want to play on guitar, but the reasons from it.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Jan 31, 2012,
I will tell you right upfront, if you want to be a good guitarist with many ideas, you MUST know how to navigate around the fretboard and know it like the back of your hand. You don't need to know every single solitary chord or way to play a scale or arpeggio but you need to find what works for you and your style of music that gives you lots of room to "say" what you want on the guitar.

Its like a puzzle that you have to piece together very slowly. and trust me it will come together if you keep at it.
Last edited by Appetite_4_GNR at Jan 31, 2012,
if you are looking for a book and can read music check out the berklee modern method book, there's a lot of great text out there for different directions in gtr studies, depends on what you want to work on. there is a great improvising book by Hal Crook, or you could always get yourself a real book. if you want to go in a more classical direction than check out the guitar classics book, and there are numerous classical collections by different composers that you can play on gtr. for example one of my favorite books is the Bach sonata book, there's also the Carulli, Carcassi, Sor....if you haven't guessed by now there are a lot of options, you just have to decide where you want to explore

have fun
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well