I have a cool brag, after 10 hours of daily wood-shedding that has blended together into a continuous blur...Sweep picking finally "clicked for me today...What would have seemed impossible for me to ever do even just a few days ago is now just like brushing my teeth! Now that I have gotten something that I so desperately wanted and coveted, I have to admit that the awe I once felt whenever I saw someone sweeping fast is now gone...truth be told, I wish i'd had an alternate picking epiphany instead today...But to all those struggling out there w/ this technique, Dont loose hope because I am an average joe just like you...and based upon what I know about myself, I can honestly say that "If I can learn to do it...than I imagine that pretty much anyone out there can" woohooohohoo!
now for the lightbulb that tells you sweeping is useless in real situations
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Good job man and thanks.
----------------------
ESP LTD MH-417
ESP LTD EC-400
POD X3 Live
Randall RG100SC
Boss HM-2
Way to be man. If you want something bad enough, chances are you'll get it!
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Every technique has it's place. Often the ones who turn their nose up at sweeping are those who can't do it.
Quote by mdc
Every technique has it's place. Often the ones who turn their nose up at sweeping are those who can't do it.

10 hours is pretty extreme though.

Sweep picking has its place. Now the op has to make sure he knows how to use it.
Quote by mdc

i remember for months after i learned to sweep and economy pick i tried to put it in everything

same with string skipping

then i realized unless you want to use it as a fill or transition or scare away the crowd it almost never works
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Wow, amazing. I am currently trying to learn sweep picking to play the song Give into me (by MJ and Slash). Do you have any tips?
Quote by Loki22
Wow, amazing. I am currently trying to learn sweep picking to play the song Give into me (by MJ and Slash). Do you have any tips?

Rest strokes are the key. No time for me to explain, but google it.

It'll help you get the technique down at a slow tempo, which you need to do to be able to do it fast.
Congrats! Now, can you share any particular piece of the technique that helped that lightbulb go off???

I'll admit, I've been struggling with sweeping. I've been playing for 14+ years, and never really tried to sweep until last year. I can play the intro to "Fade To Black" but that's the extent of my sweeping, lol.

It's not a technique I wish to use all the time, but occasionally I'll write a piece of music that really calls for it.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by jkielq91
Rest strokes are the key. No time for me to explain, but google it.

It'll help you get the technique down at a slow tempo, which you need to do to be able to do it fast.

Those rest strokes make a lot of difference. I think that I'm on my way, when it comes to downwards sweeping. Do you also have tips on sweeping with an upward stroke? I have been trying for some hours, but my palm keeps hitting the strings before my hand. And when I twist my hand, it just feels weird.
Sweeps, as others have said, are only good for fills and transitions. They should NEVER be the main "attraction" in a solo or riff (unless you want it to sound boring and repetitive). I'm not saying this because I can't sweep (I'm not great at it, but I can do it to an extent), but because I've tried writing songs that incorporate a lot of sweeping and it just doesn't sound good. It's just repetitive and emotionless. Don't get me wrong, though, it can sound exceptionally beautiful when used 'correctly' and in moderation; for those 'arguing for the sake of arguing' people out there, this is entirely MY OPINION.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Quote by KailM
Congrats! Now, can you share any particular piece of the technique that helped that lightbulb go off???

Practice and repeat. That's all there is to it. After a bit you'll get it down to muscle memory and soon your brain. Repeat till it's engraved in your mind, then suddenly every shape becomes easy.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Good job. I will disagree with most people here, sweep solos can be absolutely incredible, Unholy Warcry by Rhapsody is probably one of the best uses of sweep picking that I've heard. If sweep picking sounds cold and emotionless, you aren't doing it right, so focus on finding a way to put your sweeps together in a way that is melodic and memorable.
I remember when that lightbulb went off in my head. 3 years later, sweeping is easier than tying my shoes.