Poll: Why did you just pick up and play that guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Why did you just pick up and play that guitar?
Visual Appeal [IMG]http://briansguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/IMG_4296.jpg[/IMG]
14 47%
Pickup Configuration [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Pickup-HSH.jpg[/IMG]
10 33%
Brand [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/leecs79/DSCN0056.jpg[/IMG]
13 43%
Research [url]http://www.bradwayresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/1.jpg[/url]
13 43%
Other [IMG]http://www.opensecrets.org/news/money-question-mark.jpg[/IMG]
8 27%
Voters: 30.
Thread title says it all. Searchbarred, didn't turn up anything relevent.

What Motivates YOU to pick up a guitar and play it in store, and WHY?

Color/visual asthetics?

Pickups config? (Huge for me)

Brand Recognition?

Previous research/expirience with that model?

Other?

For me, pickup config is huge, right behind brand recognition. I know which brands I like, which produce consistantly good guitars, and ones that don't. Pickup configuration is another one. I like certain pickups in certain places (Singlecoil in the neck, only if it can be wiried with another single coil or in the form of a split 'bucker.)

Leave your preferences, I think this could be interesting...POLL UP.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Last edited by Controlpanel at Jan 31, 2012,
If ladies are present.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Is it possible to resist the urge to show case your amazing talent every time you set foot in a guitar shop?
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
If I like how the guitar looks, the PUs, the brand, the price, or it could be spur of the moment. There is this really nice SG at my local GC, I keep going in there to play it as I save up for it. Can't Wait!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Looks. It's like when you're picking out girls at the club/bar. You go for the best looking, and if she's a stank ass ho, you move onto to something more refined and add other criteria.
I really hate playing guitars in music shops. Love to look, but I won't really play them too much. The only real reason I'd play is if I want to see what the playability is like on a certain style, and even then it doesn't take me too long to decide whether or not I like it. Beyond that, I'll only really play in a store if my reason for being there is to actually buy something.
Research or features. I mean, you can't deny being attracted by an amazing looking guitar right off the bat, but I'm more likely to avoid brands or models I'm familiar with. The point is that I'm looking for something new.
Researched. I picked my first guitar after playing a Squire I was given for a couple years and figuring out what features I wanted, and researching certain brands. Went in GC for a PRS SE or a Schecter C-1+, left with the C-1+.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I would say research but the only guitar shop I can easily get to has a bunch of shitty Ibanez's everywhere.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
boredom normally, i'll be in with a friend who insists on asking very anal questions about basses. so i'll pick up a PRS and play some blues on it keeps me occupied, and the old people who come into that store quite like it, even had a jam with a few of them, one of them asked if i was employed by the store to play.
normally it's following up research I've done.

I feel very awkward playing guitars in shops.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Carswell98

I feel very awkward playing guitars in shops.

So do I, especially when they have some old 'know it all' jackarse working there, who I know is secretly judging my playing and choices.
Quote by Dory77
So do I, especially when they have some old 'know it all' jackarse working there, who I know is secretly judging my playing and choices.

I know that feel

I remember playing "I Want You(She's so Heavy)" in a shop and getting the worst looks, and I'm not a shitty player, they just really didn't approve.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I voted the first three. First I look at the brand name. Then at the pickup configuration, the colour, shape, ect.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I'd only play it if I was buying and then when no one was around, and then as quietly as I could..
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer