Page 1 of 2
I just read an article on CNN about how many colleges in America are starting to teach courses covering "whiteness studies", or in other words white privilege, and interestingly enough, most of these courses are taught by white professors. I dont wish to start any fights or arguments, I just want to have a healthy discussion on this subject with someone. What do you think?
I don't see what there is to study.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm in a class right now and actually reading a 40 page entry from a book on "whiteness" in society. Some serious bullshit.
So it's just a normal history class then?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
So wait, what's being discussed here? Crackers? I've always been more of a "cookie" kind of guy, but crackers are cool too, I guess.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
No, cuz its not teaching white history, its teaching all the ways whites supposedly have a huge advantage on everyone else, which may be true to an extent, but i really dont think it is to the extent that the people teaching these courses think
I do because they're qualified teachers, since when did you have to be black to teach white power?

That's like me not being able to say racist jokes because I'm white.
West Ham United
Quote by SwitchFender
I just read an article on CNN about how many colleges in America are starting to teach courses covering "whiteness studies", or in other words white privilege, and interestingly enough, most of these courses are taught by white professors. I dont wish to start any fights or arguments, I just want to have a healthy discussion on this subject with someone. What do you think?

Source article please.
summary: white people get it good in business compared to people of color.
TS, are you a member of a minority group? No? Then you are not qualified to say to what extent whites have an unfair advantage in society, and claiming that the white instructors are exaggerating the extent of the white advantage is a bit preposterous.

Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Bored? read these, or this
I don't see it would be bad. I mean there are classes focused on black culture and history. Is it suddenly rascist because white people are involved?
So people are teaching how privileged white people are? What the hell is there to say? This is the same thing as that "gay history" bullshit and black history. There's nothing to teach... it's all just plain history.
it's hard to know where bias begins and ends
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by mesopatamius
TS, are you a member of a minority group? No? Then you are not qualified to say to what extent whites have an unfair advantage in society, and claiming that the white instructors are exaggerating the extent of the white advantage is a bit preposterous.

Minority reporting in here.

I don't think any of my life has been pre-determined by the color of my skin, and if anything I'd be subject to reverse-racism. There are scholarships and grants I could easily get if I applied for them, but they aren't awarded based on intelligence or effort but if you've got maori blood in you. So naaaaah.
to be quite honest.... whites aren't going to be the majority in 'murica for much longer.

people are overreacting. I took an ENTIRE college course on Nazi Germany.
c'mon people. there are stranger classes.

Quote by devourke

I don't think any of my life has been pre-determined by the color of my skin, and if anything I'd be subject to reverse-racism. There are scholarships and grants I could easily get if I applied for them, but they aren't awarded based on intelligence or effort but if you've got maori blood in you. So naaaaah.

.thank you. :]

I'm not trying to say that's the case for everyone.
and I'm not trying to sound like some white-supremacist bigot. but races get more options for scholarships, hell. blacks even get a month. (/flameshield)

and don't pull the whole "yeah, whites get every other month." card.

not trying to start a flamewar here. just stating an opinion.

although I will admit, the subject in and of itself does seem a bit vague...
Last edited by icesk8erqueen8 at Jan 31, 2012,
for what I'm studying at the moment, it has more to do with differences between different nationalities of white people, pertaining mostly to modern media such as film or television.

Style of clothing, family values, beliefs and mannerisms are all studied in depth and honestly it's all pretty ****ing boring haha.
Quote by mesopatamius

I read the OP a few times and I don't think he said any of that.

Quote by icesk8erqueen8
to be quite honest.... whites aren't going to be the majority in 'murica for much longer.

Minority vs Majority has little to do with the number of people, if that's what you're getting at.

I don't think I'm going to return to this thread.

Last edited by Butt Rayge at Jan 31, 2012,
Quote by devourke

See, I really like your attitude on the subject! I recognize that theres some lasting problems among minority populations and in areas that are mostly populated by minorities as a result of racism in the past and present but i feel like things like scholarships just for black kids, or latino kids etc is treating a symptom rather than getting to the root of the problem itself, which i think is the poor education these groups and these areas have access to. I think that with truly equal opportunities for education up though high school that things like affirmative action wouldnt be necessary and we really could began to fairly say its up to the individual to work hard for their own success
Quote by dazed60
any wonder american schools are failing

Do you really believe that, with grammar like that, you have much room to criticize another place's education?
If they can teach African American studies and it be cool then why not? I think someone needs less white guilt in their lives.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by mesopatamius
TS, are you a member of a minority group? No? Then you are not qualified to say to what extent whites have an unfair advantage in society,

This is the most racist statement said in the thread so far...
Quote by devourke

Glad to see it's not just white people who feel that way. I felt a little racist to be honest.
Quote by reidhasguitar
Glad to see it's not just white people who feel that way. I felt a little racist to be honest.

I'm pretty sure that everyone except the Maori and Mana party feel that way.
White people do have an advantage, as documented here:

www.racebending.com

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jan 31, 2012,
How is giving scholarships to poor black students reverse-racism. It's not because they are black, but because they are poor. The only way to get people out of that ditch, is by educating them.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Paroxysm
Most of history?

Nope, just from around the Romans onwards. That's pretty much where white supremacy starts, with the Roman Empire spreading into Europe.

Written history goes back to around 6000 years ago in the Middle East, while the Roman Republic, followed by the Roman Empire only dates back to arounf 2500 years ago.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Nope, just from around the Romans onwards. That's pretty much where white supremacy starts, with the Roman Empire spreading into Europe.

Written history goes back to around 6000 years ago in the Middle East, while the Roman Republic, followed by the Roman Empire only dates back to arounf 2500 years ago.

I don't think the romans would qualify for the third reich, so how white are we talking abouT?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
How is giving scholarships to poor black students reverse-racism. It's not because they are black, but because they are poor. The only way to get people out of that ditch, is by educating them.

It's not poor black students, it's black students in general. You don't need to be poor to be eligible.
Quote by devourke
It's not poor black students, it's black students in general. You don't need to be poor to be eligible.

I'm pretty sure you do for most of them. Also there are enough scholarships that richer white kids get sometimes, when you are smart, you are smart.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I don't think the romans would qualify for the third reich, so how white are we talking abouT?

Funny you should mention the third reich, do you know what the first reich was considered to be?

It was the 'Holy Roman' Empire which existed from 962 to 1806 in Central Europe. It was named after the Roman Empire and was considered to be its continuation.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Funny you should mention the third reich, do you know what the first reich was considered to be?

It was the 'Holy Roman' Empire which existed from 962 to 1806 in Central Europe. It was named after the Roman Empire and was considered to be its continuation.

I knew about the holy roman Empire, not that it was the first reich though. But that doesn't change the fact that south Europeans are generally dark haired, brown eyed and slightly coloured.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I'm pretty sure you do for most of them. Also there are enough scholarships that richer white kids get sometimes, when you are smart, you are smart.

And that is what scholarships should be given for. One of my friend is 1/16th maori. You wouldn't be able to tell that from looking at him though. He's not poor, he's as middle class as it gets. But he applied for the Maori scholarship and got it just because of his 1/16th. He's not poor, he didn't work for it and there's no reason he should be handed money because his grandfather was part maori.
Page 1 of 2