So I'm looking to replace the pickups in my Gibson Les Paul standard. It came with Seymour Duncan Slash custom Alnico 2s. I don't find they are high enough output, and muddy up terribly with high gain. They are low to medium output (around 7.5K) and they just arent working for me.

What kind of pickups would you recommend as a higher output alternative for a non chambered, Solid mahogany Les Paul? Keeping in mind Les Pauls are bassy as all get out.
Burstbuckers - if I recall correctly they have a higher output.

A friend of mine swears by Bare Knuckles, afraid I can't recall the exact model he uses. They do make his LP Standard (early '90s - non chambered) sound brighter than the stock.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
Burstbuckers - if I recall correctly they have a higher output.

A friend of mine swears by Bare Knuckles, afraid I can't recall the exact model he uses. They do make his LP Standard (early '90s - non chambered) sound brighter than the stock.

there are a few different burstbuckers out there.

i am going to be throwing some BG's in my Les Paul. hellabucker in the bridge and whatever he sees fit for neck. like $70 a pop. hand wound in the US. he is a good guy,

for what its worth, its nice to be able to get something you want from the small guy for once.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+ Burstbuckers

I have 1 and 2 for n and bridge, respectively, and they're beauties
Modulus G1T, G2T, G3, G3CT, Graphite
4 Fender MIA Strats
3 custom Warmoth Guitars
Asher Lap Steel
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Taylor 314CE
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
yeah I been lookin already at bareknuckles, gibsons, Seymour duncans. ill look into BGs though, also Lace sensors and Jason Lollars.

Would a very trebly pickup suit a Les Paul, on account of "da bass"
That's mahogany wood right there. I prefer black korina because it's a type of a mahogany with a treble end.

And you'll have a tough time getting a higher end out from pups alone...don't waste your time listening to people telling you pickups that would not get the full sound you're wanting. My rec is to find a pickup you hear and like (even if it's bassy), then get an eq pedal to balance out the freq's--so you can drop the bass-y ones and boost the upper end. Just my 2 cents
Modulus G1T, G2T, G3, G3CT, Graphite
4 Fender MIA Strats
3 custom Warmoth Guitars
Asher Lap Steel
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Taylor 314CE
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
yeah............eq pedal's not a terrible idea.
There's a vid on youtube of a guy with a Les Paul Standard Goldtop with a pair of Bareknuckle nailbombs, sounds killer. I think that might be the way to go, they are rated on their website as having a lot of treble, which could be a bonus

Cheers guys
What amp are you playing through BTW?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
BKP, Crunchlab/Liquifire or EMGs if you want to ruin a 'Les Paul'.
PS. I don't mind EMGs and most of the times they sound great, but it's a bit wrong to put them in a Gibson Les paul (fine with ESP or anything).. it doesn't feel traditional. Unless you are Zak Wylde.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Remember adding treble doesn't mean removing mud. You can have a guitar that is both bright AND muddy. Muddiness comes from bass and mids. Brightness comes from treble.

Are you using 500k pots on the guitar? Gibson USA guitars use these weird 300k pots, swap them out for 500k and you'll get more output and more brightness out of those pickups. I'd do that first before going off and buying new pickups. Though, if you want high output pickups... then those will probably not do, regardless. It will definitely open up your sound though. 500k is the traditional value in a les paul. Idk why Gibson uses 300k.

I'm one of those guys who thinks that if you put a pickup that is too hot in a les paul, it starts to lose the les paul character a little. If you just want something that still keeps the les paul vibe but is going to give you more output, I would look at WCR Fillmores. I used to have those in my les paul and they actually sounded great. Very clear and a lot of character.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 31, 2012,
Quote by al112987
Remember adding treble doesn't mean removing mud. You can have a guitar that is both bright AND muddy. Muddiness comes from bass and mids. Brightness comes from treble.

Are you using 500k pots on the guitar? Gibson USA guitars use these weird 300k pots, swap them out for 500k and you'll get more output and more brightness out of those pickups. I'd do that first before going off and buying new pickups. Though, if you want high output pickups... then those will probably not do, regardless. It will definitely open up your sound though. 500k is the traditional value in a les paul. Idk why Gibson uses 300k.

I'm one of those guys who thinks that if you put a pickup that is too hot in a les paul, it starts to lose the les paul character a little. If you just want something that still keeps the les paul vibe but is going to give you more output, I would look at WCR Fillmores. I used to have those in my les paul and they actually sounded great. Very clear and a lot of character.

^This

I have Seymour Duncans in my Les Paul, and it sounds great. Mine are the Pearly Gates (which is a bit bright anyway) and the AlNiCo II Pro in the Bridge and Neck respectively, and they sound great. I play in a Metal band, and I've never really had problems with them getting muddy. I dial the bass back a bit on my amp, but bass is one of those things a guitar player rarely needs in a full band. I have 500k pots in mine, though, which could be a game changer right there. I was surprised that, as an Epiphone, my LP came with full-sized 500k pots. I agree that you should look into replacing your pots before your pickups. You might also consider checking the EQ on your amp. Having too much bass dialed in can add mud. Don't worry about the value the knob is set to, worry about how it sounds. I was having problems with my tone because it had some mud in it, so I re-EQ'd. I found that I refused to turn the bass down past 12 o'clock, so I tried doing that. Cleared it right up. It felt weird at first because I felt like I was "scooping" my bass, but if it sounds good, then use it. It could also be the volume you run your amp at. If it's a tube amp, you'll wanna crank it a good bit before judging the tone. If it's Solid State, you need to keep the volume lower to get a decent tone. Your pickups' output is unlikely to be the problem. Lamb of God uses Seymour Duncan '59s, which are lower output than the AlNiCo II Slash pickups, and their tone isn't muddy and is Metal as Hell.

It's probably worth asking, what amp are you using?
A fender Blues Deluxe is the amp I mainly use.

Didn't even think about that thanks

I think ill go with the pots Idea first. thanks guys
Just looked on internet and intend to get some new pots....

i don't need long shafted pots do i? with the les paul being a big curved top and stuff.....

Also there was heaps of 500k pots, but than i saw 1000k/1 meg pots...would that be even better or just overkill?
you'll need long shaft pots.

I say go with bg pickups hellabucker in the bridge.

don't get burstbuckers. they are the worst.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by T7E

i don't need long shafted pots do i? with the les paul being a big curved top and stuff.....

Also there was heaps of 500k pots, but than i saw 1000k/1 meg pots...would that be even better or just overkill?

1M ouch. at least when i tried one out on some older kramer superstrat 80's guitar. obviously very different guitar, but with those pots it was way to bright. that is me though. he seemed to like them. however that guitar IIRC was brighter than my les paul.

i had a guitar teacher (for about two months when i started i suppose 2003?) he swore 1M for his USA strat. sounded terrible, way too birght, and on single coils, worse.

pots are always a good place to start. get some nice caps while you are at it. they can be surprisingly nice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
there are a few different burstbuckers out there.

i am going to be throwing some BG's in my Les Paul. hellabucker in the bridge and whatever he sees fit for neck. like $70 a pop. hand wound in the US. he is a good guy,

for what its worth, its nice to be able to get something you want from the small guy for once.

Oops - I meant Pros...
Quote by Slap-happy
Oops - I meant Pros...

i have them in a faded LP, i think they sound quite nice. some pickups sound better, however i certainly wouldn't bother changing them out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by T7E

1M is just too bright. Go with 500k audio taper. It will give you a much nicer taper as well compared to the stock Gibson pot (where you literally get no difference in sound until you roll the volume down to 2).
I was given a pair by a friend and am on the look out for an older, possibly Korean Epiphone Dot to put them in.
Quote by AcousticMirror
you'll need long shaft pots.

I say go with bg pickups hellabucker in the bridge.

don't get burstbuckers. they are the worst.

not to hijack (edit: i think the answers would help OP as well)

AM- what would you use for a cap? i don't mind dropping $15 on one. what pots would you recommend? i have good luck with bourns.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
not to hijack (edit: i think the answers would help OP as well)

AM- what would you use for a cap? i don't mind dropping $15 on one. what pots would you recommend? i have good luck with bourns.

I use weird value caps on my guitars but if you sue a 22 or a 47 just grab whatever...

bourns are good.

i like these guys.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=CAPACITORS&SEARCH_TREE02=04_MOD

plus you can do all your shopping at one place.
Quote by AcousticMirror
I use weird value caps on my guitars but if you sue a 22 or a 47 just grab whatever...

bourns are good.

i like these guys.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=CAPACITORS&SEARCH_TREE02=04_MOD

plus you can do all your shopping at one place.

I added that site to my favorites. Sometimes google sucks. Thanks.
I would recommend Dimarzio X2N in bridge. (Don't care for neck)

High output, and gives much more bite in the Les Paul. (I got a classic that weighs a ton)
No muddyness whatsoever.
The bass is nicely lowered and it got a good punch in mids.

Also very nice dynamics in the pick attack.

Solos screams!!!!!
Quote by KryptPaal
I would recommend Dimarzio X2N in bridge. (Don't care for neck)

High output, and gives much more bite in the Les Paul. (I got a classic that weighs a ton)
No muddyness whatsoever.
The bass is nicely lowered and it got a good punch in mids.

Also very nice dynamics in the pick attack.

Solos screams!!!!!

i do not know what your ears are like, but they are far from great. i bought two. threw one in a superstrat (f-spaced and proper) and the other in guess what? a Gibson LP. sounded terrible. shrill, had tons of output yes, but i don't ever want to hear that tone coming out of a LP, they are terrible. if you want something with that much output, BKP.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
hellabuckers should go in an lp if you want high output.

wolfetone fenris if you want slashish A2 sounds.

the end.

everything else is bad.
Quote by al112987
1M is just too bright. Go with 500k audio taper. It will give you a much nicer taper as well compared to the stock Gibson pot (where you literally get no difference in sound until you roll the volume down to 2).

That is not true at all on my guitar......the only one like that is the bridge pickup tone control, the rest are very responsive.

Yeah pots it is....cheers lads
+500 to putting in decent 500K pots and replacing the stock caps.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.