Hi guys, I'm still a beginner and as of now trying my best to learn playing the guitar... I'm into playing punk, hardcore, and metal and also some alternative rock specially those from the 90's - early 2000's...

The gear I have now is a jumpstart kit from Ibanez, a GSA6 guitar with a 15W amp. Im focusing now on learning to play specially the techniques that is needed for the style that I like, and with my gear Im just pulling out the best I can from my guitar and my amp.

I'm planning in the near future (specially if I'm luck to land a job) to buy something that will be useful, as of now I still don't know what I really need in the long run. Maybe something around $200 below (Im from a 3rd world country, I guess you have an idea about the living conditions in this kind of country)...

Reading and searching the internet, I came across with modeling amps w/ built in effects specially the Peavey Vypyr, Line 6 Spider and Roland Cube. Maybe 30W and below for those amps. I also came across with Zoom G2.1 NU and Digitech RP 255 w/c both have USB and an Expression Pedal though digitech is much cheaper but zoom has more feature I guess and also I can plug both of them directly straight in to any PA system or headphone...

Anyways what Im looking to buy is if I'll go with a modeling amp, I'm into buying peavey vypyr 15 (or 30 if I have the money so I might have the footswitch in the future) or if I'll go with a multi FX peds I'll be going to buy the digitech RP255 (or Zoom G2.1 if I have the money again and if the reviews and demos are better than the RP)

Those are on my price range however as Im still a beginner, I don't know w/c of those 2 gear will serve me well and best in the long run... All I know for now is if i'll buy a modeling amp, it will give me the feel of using a real amp with my guitar with some FX. And if ever i'll choose to have a multi FX I can have many FX and can plug it directly to any powered speaker, headphone or even the stereo AUX IN of my current amp and also it's easy to carry anywhere considering that it's hard to find a permanent job here meaning I'll be having to move to different places in the future and also I have a plan going abroad to find a job... I still dont have an ear for what a good tone is and I guess it wont matter that much if the sound will be digital (but I hope not too digital) or analog as long as it will serve me well for a long time... Also note that portability for me is also important... Thanks guys in advance...
Last edited by fr0z3n1337 at Jan 31, 2012,
wel... if you say you are looking at the Peavey Vyper, why shouldn't you get the Sampera II with it or maybe later.

I am playing an BOSS ME 70 into a VOX VT 100.

the Multi-Effects is really worth the price. but if you buy the Vyper, the Sampera II will give you something close to an RP 255.
Get the Vyper.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you said you have a pa at hand I'd get the multi-fx by itself. An rp 500 or pod hd 400-500 will sound way better than those amps through a pa.
thanks for the reply guys... Im really into buying the vypyr but I don't know if it's readily available in our country, I found one selling a used vypyr 30 for over $200, what also hesitate me from buying the vypyr is it's size, though it wont be a problem for now but I don't know after 6-9 mos if I will need to relocate and also Im planning to go abroad (maybe middle east) once I gained around 2 yrs of experience and if I'll go with a vypyr, I wont be able to carry it with me abroad...

@Itremor: Thanks for the suggestion but Sampera II cost over $200 - nearly $300, if i'll have a job here I will only earn around "$8" per day minus cost of travel and food... I dont know if i'll be able to afford to buy a vypyr 30 with a sampera II pedal...
Quote by Chad11491
If you said you have a pa at hand I'd get the multi-fx by itself. An rp 500 or pod hd 400-500 will sound way better than those amps through a pa.

I dont have a PA yet at hand, if ever i'll buy a multi fx, i'll be hooking it up using the aux input of my amp (as of now Im also using the amp as my PC speaker)... Though finding a good locally made active speaker here in our country is much easier than finding a store that sells a peavey vypyr amp... The RP500 is out of my budget, I'm really keeping it below $200 because buying an RG321 is also in my wishlist... Does the RP255 differ that much with the RP500 with regards to core sounds/tone and basic features (not including the additional effects that comes with the RP500)?

EDIT:
Now I know why, the RP500 has more modelled amp for metal, w/c is a really big PLUS... Too bad it's really out of my price range, I hope I can find one used...
Last edited by fr0z3n1337 at Feb 1, 2012,
The peavey Vypyr is seriously a much better option the the mfx pedals. If you move abroad and get a job there then buying a new vypyr shouldn't be a problem anymore cos there is much better pay in the middle east/Europe/America.
Get the zoom g3.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by itamar100
The peavey Vypyr is seriously a much better option the the mfx pedals. If you move abroad and get a job there then buying a new vypyr shouldn't be a problem anymore cos there is much better pay in the middle east/Europe/America.

So how does or on what aspect does the vypyr will outweigh the multi FX specially theRP255 considering the price vs peroformance ratio... To be fair on both, to utilize the vypyr I will need the sampera (best if it's the sampera II) footswitch right? and to make the most of the RP255, I need to have a good PA or at least an amp with an effect loop (w/c I also dont have any idea)... BTW those are just wild guess as I dont have any real hands on experience w/ both...

If the the budget is real tight, I think I'll buy the vypyr 15 (no footswitch capability) but with enough effects i guess it's more than enough for me...
The problem with the Vypyr is the lack of a footswitch in the package. If you think you need a footswitch you would be better off with a multifx and keep searching for an amp in your budget. Even a solid state amp will do the trick. If you are only playing in your home as I would expect from a beginner, and you have a fairly decent stereo you can plug into it.

I got a wall of tube amps and right now I'm running my whole rig through a mixer and into a stereo power amp and a set of Yamaha home stereo speakers and it sounds great.
Quote by fly135
The problem with the Vypyr is the lack of a footswitch in the package. If you think you need a footswitch you would be better off with a multifx and keep searching for an amp in your budget. Even a solid state amp will do the trick. If you are only playing in your home as I would expect from a beginner, and you have a fairly decent stereo you can plug into it.

I got a wall of tube amps and right now I'm running my whole rig through a mixer and into a stereo power amp and a set of Yamaha home stereo speakers and it sounds great.

Thanks... If only the Vypyr 15 has the capability to have a footswitch or the vypyr 30 comes with the footswitch or at least the footswitch is much more affordable, I'll be buying it anytime over the multi fx...

But if buying a multi fx plus a good budget amp or a good stereo speakers would cost me near/same/more as much as buying a vypyr 30 and a sanpera I footswitch, which would be the best option with regards to tone, usability of the effects, versatility, etc.?

EDIT: hmmm... seeing this video: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVj132-5FUA" I guess on a tight budget, the vypyr 15 is more than enough for me with just the amp models...
Last edited by fr0z3n1337 at Jan 31, 2012,
I'm a believer in separate components. Anything "all in one" is locking you in. If you can get by with your current amp while saving for something better then get the multifx. If you need an amp to carry around and can live without the floorboard then get the Vypyr 30.

The Vypyr 30 is a nice amp. You could do worse. I don't know where you live but they practically give away good older home stereos with large speakers on Craigslist. It's a viable option for those who want to get a multifx but can't afford a good amp at the same time.
Quote by fly135
I'm a believer in separate components. Anything "all in one" is locking you in. If you can get by with your current amp while saving for something better then get the multifx. If you need an amp to carry around and can live without the floorboard then get the Vypyr 30.

The Vypyr 30 is a nice amp. You could do worse. I don't know where you live but they practically give away good older home stereos with large speakers on Craigslist. It's a viable option for those who want to get a multifx but can't afford a good amp at the same time.

I can't really seem to find a dealer of peavey vypyr here in the Philippines, my other options to get one is to buy one from an online store in the USA (like GC or zzounds) using a forwarder w/c will cost me an additional 5% of the total checkout price plus $75 shipping and an electronic item charge w/c is dunno if it's still $5 and anothe $5 for insurance... It will also be shipped via ocean cargo w/c is something scary considering that I also can't find a peavey service center here w/c will not be good if something goes wrong... Though my present kit was bough by my father in the U.A.E. as a gift and he shipped it to our country via sea and I got it without any problems, I might also ask him if he can find a dealer there and ask about the price w/c is also another option for me...

Locally I guess if I can't really find a peavey dealer, I guess my best bet is to buy the RP255... I dont know if this kind of amp would be good with the RP: (http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=lx20r), it seems a decent one at it's price at $145 and with the RP it will cost me less or the same as the vypyr 30 with a sanpera I...

Will I go wrong if i'll choose the RP255 instead of the vypyr?...

EDIT:
I found a thread about the RP355, seems like it's much better than the 255, I didn't know that it has a stompbox mode w/c can be used to turn on/off the distortion & chorus... Anyways, do you think any of that 2 RPs plus a Powered speaker like the M-Audio AV30 will serve me good for a long time? I can use the speaker for other things like plugging my phone or PC to play music and if i'll jam with my friends or gig with them, I can use the RP direct to the PA or as a pedal effect in front of an amp... I like that kind of varsatility, will it outweight the benefits of buying vypyr amp?
Those M-Audio speakers will not have anywhere close to the quality as the Vypyr 30 amp.
Quote by fly135
Those M-Audio speakers will not have anywhere close to the quality as the Vypyr 30 amp.

I see... So to make the most out of the RP, w/c would be better a powered/active studio monitor, powered/active PA speaker, a keyboard amp, or a guitar amp with a clean channel or anything of those as long as it has a larger speaker?
Yep, a monitor with a 3" speaker is not going to sound good except at fairly quiet levels. Can you find a cheap older home stereo used? Some 2 or 3 way speakers with 10 or 12 woofers and an amp?
Quote by fly135
Yep, a monitor with a 3" speaker is not going to sound good except at fairly quiet levels. Can you find a cheap older home stereo used? Some 2 or 3 way speakers with 10 or 12 woofers and an amp?

Thanks for the advice... So that's the one I should aim for, does a powered PA speaker (something like this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB210D) would be good?... Theres a high chance that I can find one, there are also locally made (and some china made) available at a more affordable price... If ever I'll buy an RP, I might also buy a good sennheiser headphone and use my current amp or the HP for the time being while saving up for a good PA speaker...
Quote by fly135
Yep, that would work fine.

I see, thank you so much fly... So with that kind of set-up, will it become much better than a vypyr set-up? if yes I guess that'll be the direction i'll be going to...
Well a big difference is that you have a floor board. Just the volume control and wah alone on the RP count for a lot. Throw in the ability to use a whammy. the 20 sec looper, and drums for practice. The PA speaker will accommodate vocals and backing tracks. You have the option of later upgrading and adding fx while keeping the PA.

IMO it's better.
Quote by fly135
Well a big difference is that you have a floor board. Just the volume control and wah alone on the RP count for a lot. Throw in the ability to use a whammy. the 20 sec looper, and drums for practice. The PA speaker will accommodate vocals and backing tracks. You have the option of later upgrading and adding fx while keeping the PA.

IMO it's better.

Thanks again fly... I guess theres alot of room for me to grow and experiment with that set-up and I can keep both of them for a long time...
I respect fly and he always gives good advice but my 2 cents is that i had an RP250 and outside of the delay, I didn't really care for the tones to much. Wah was kinda cool though. I ran it into a Fender Frontman on the clean channel. Now I have a Vypry 60 and I really like it better for all kinds of amp tones. I do not have the Sampera II pedal - which you would need. I would say the Vypyr's effects are not its highlight - it is the amp models. I got mine for $315 used.
The rp250 is old generation and doesn't sound as good as the newer processors.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I respect fly and he always gives good advice but my 2 cents is that i had an RP250 and outside of the delay, I didn't really care for the tones to much. Wah was kinda cool though. I ran it into a Fender Frontman on the clean channel. Now I have a Vypry 60 and I really like it better for all kinds of amp tones. I do not have the Sampera II pedal - which you would need. I would say the Vypyr's effects are not its highlight - it is the amp models. I got mine for $315 used.

Thanks for your insight...

I'm really considering the vypyr amps, even the vypyr 15 as all the vypyr have the same modelled amps and I kind of like the tones from those modelled amps based on the demos that I've watched online... The reason that made me hesitate to buy a vypyr is that, first it seems peavey doesn't have any dealer/service center here in the Philippines. Then it's an amp meaning it's a bit huge, it wont be reasonable to buy one online from the USA then ship it here in the Philippines. A vypyr 15 sold at $99 would cost me an additional 5% from the forwarding company for them to purchase it for me then with it's size, it would cost me an additional $30-$40... The same goes with the bigger brother of the 15 but with it's larger size, the shipping would now cost 50-60 bucks... It's an ocean cargo and it will be shipped to the other part of the world and the lack of service center here means I'm screwed if something bad happens...

For the digitech multi fx, there's a dealer here in the Philippines though the price is the same as the listed price or SRP, buying online from the USA is cheaper but because of the shipping ($30) minimum + service charge, it will make the price almost the same... But with a dealer present here, warranty wont be that much of an issue...

I'm still looking for more RP demo specially RP355 and 500(it has more metal amps), if the modelled amps would be on par, or at least not that bad compared to those on the peaveys I think that will make my decision final to buy the RP...

Quote by kutless999
The rp250 is old generation and doesn't sound as good as the newer processors.

I guess he's just trying his best to share his experience with his digitech product...
Take this into consideration: Andy from PGS makes EVERYTHING sound awesome. Your results may vary
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Take this into consideration: Andy from PGS makes EVERYTHING sound awesome. Your results may vary

That doesn't mean anything.
Quote by kutless999
That doesn't mean anything.

Actually, it sorta does. But in this case it doesn't...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack

yeah, seems like it sounds familiar with the phrase "it's all in the fingers" or something like that, not sure... ^_^

BTW let's just say I also want a new toy, can't afford a vehicle now and the next thing that interests me is rock music... Video games is my real hobby before though I kinda feel tired playing games...
Quote by LaidBack
Personally, I'd look for an amp. BUT, you can get a modeler, and then down the line, add this guy to your rig: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/tech-21-power-engine-60

I kept on thinking to buy a vypyr 15 first just to give me a good start, improve my skills while saving then thats the time i'll try the RP (through headphone, direct to PA and if lucky through the effect loop and in front of a tube amp and compare it with the sound from the vypyr, if it'll beat the vypyr (for me) then i'll go with a multi fx set-up, if not i'll go with a larger vypyr... Though buying a vypyr for me have alot of risk specially in the warranty aspect...

Wow, that one is nice... Reading from MC, seems like it's a powered cab? more like a PA speaker that looks like a guitar amp for me... I guess running the RP through it would be good but with it's price, would it be better than buying a tube amp at that price range (like the peavey valveking or blackstar HT 1/5) and running the RP through it's FX loop or using it as a stomp box pedal infront of the amp? or can it be also used as a cab and connect a tube head to it?
Last edited by fr0z3n1337 at Feb 2, 2012,