I play blues, country and classic rock type stuff in the main. I have never tried any picking techniques such as alternate picking, sweep picking etc. I've just developed a picking way that works, but do you think there is any merit in these techniques for blues and country, or are they primarily for where speed is the main part of the guitarists technical contribution, such as fusion jazz, or metal?

Most of the guitarists I listen to, such as Clapton, Bonamassa, SRV etc, are not known for advocating a particular picking technique, so I guess they all use my method, i.e. just play the damned thing and get the notes out there! But would they get any benefit from using a specific picking technique?
Depends on if they like the sound.

There are no techniques specific to a genre. Any technique you learn can be applied in any genre - I've used sweeping in bluesy solos and hybrid picking in metal. It's all about the sound you want to get and the means by which you get it.
Learning a rigorous picking technique, such as alt picking, can give you a certain amount of consistency in your picking which helps when it comes to faster stuff. Also, as said, other technique can give you more musical options, like using hybrid picking.
Quote by deano_l
I play blues, country and classic rock type stuff in the main. I have never tried any picking techniques such as alternate picking, sweep picking etc. I've just developed a picking way that works, but do you think there is any merit in these techniques for blues and country, or are they primarily for where speed is the main part of the guitarists technical contribution, such as fusion jazz, or metal?

Most of the guitarists I listen to, such as Clapton, Bonamassa, SRV etc, are not known for advocating a particular picking technique, so I guess they all use my method, i.e. just play the damned thing and get the notes out there! But would they get any benefit from using a specific picking technique?

Watch Joe Bonamassa when he's playing at speed; it's pretty damn consistent alternate picking to my eyes.

Yes most of the choice in picking technique only really applies when you're playing fast things and then it's a choice of tone and blah blah blah but saying then that technique is restricted to a genre is implying that speed is restricted to a genre... which is just blatantly balls.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've just developed a picking way that works, but do you think there is any merit in these techniques for blues and country, or are they primarily for where speed is the main part of the guitarists technical contribution, such as fusion jazz, or metal?

I don't know man, those country guys are ridiculous... there's lots of nippy alternate picking going on.

The main advantage to having a proper picking technique worked out is that you can play fast, clean stuff easily. If that's important, then get to it. If it's not, don't worry.