A while back someone taught me how to make this cool melodic sound by putting my finger gently over (not right down on) the 7th fret, plucking the string and quickly taking my finger away. It make this cool, musicboxy muted sound.

I've heard a few guitarists use this kind of sound as an embellishment, but it seems they do it differently? - It almost looks like they're holding a chord when they do it.

I want to know what this technique is called and how I can improve on it.

Cheers for any advice!
Quote by friskysobriety
A while back someone taught me how to make this cool melodic sound by putting my finger gently over (not right down on) the 7th fret, plucking the string and quickly taking my finger away. It make this cool, musicboxy muted sound.

I've heard a few guitarists use this kind of sound as an embellishment, but it seems they do it differently? - It almost looks like they're holding a chord when they do it.

I want to know what this technique is called and how I can improve on it.

Cheers for any advice!

yup it's a harmonic.

Is this your annual post then?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Here's another cool way to get harmonics:

Fret any note, then tap 12 frets away on the same string. Ex. - Fret the A note, 2nd fret, G string. Then tap the 14th fret on the G string. Try this with chord shapes.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by maker's marked
Here's another cool way to get harmonics:

Fret any note, then tap 12 frets away on the same string.

Yup that will get you an octave. For a harmonic two octaves up, tap 5 frets away.