I will be ordering an amplifier head from Musicians Friend soon, but unfortunately I will have to wait for an undetermined amount of time to order the cabinet. I have an old Peavey VTX Classic that I could use as a cab, but I'm unsure of what method I should use to hook the two amps together. The head is a 100 watt solid-state, and it has a headphone output/line out. The Peavey has standard inputs, as well as an input to use the power amp exclusively. My idea is to run a cable from the head's line out into the power amp of the Peavey, completely bypassing both the head's power amp and the cab's preamp. Is this advisable? Could it cause any damage to the Peavey?
What you should do is get a 1/4'' jack, and solder one cable to each pole of the jack. Tape the jack to your VTX, and plug your head into it.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by Drache Wachter
For what purpose?

He's talking about making your VTX become a cabinet, if I'm not mistaken.

You definitely want to have a cable coming out of your new head's output into a head. Well, unless your head has a RedBox or something like it that is...

Basically, you need to have a cabinet connected to your head -- even if you just intend for it to be used with headphones.

So, the suggestion above is to solder a 1/4" to your VTX so you can use it as an extension cabinet.

But doesn't the VTX have a jack in the back for the speakers? If so, why not just use that? (Or maybe that's what you were talking about this whole time...)
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Jan 31, 2012,
Quote by richardlpalmer
He's talking about making your VTX become a cabinet, if I'm not mistaken.

You definitely want to have a cable coming out of your new head's output into a head. Well, unless your head has a RedBox or something like it that is...

Basically, you need to have a cabinet connected to your head -- even if you just intend for it to be used with headphones.

So, the suggestion above is to solder a 1/4" to your VTX so you can use it as an extension cabinet.

But doesn't the VTX have a jack in the back for the speakers? If so, why not just use that? (Or maybe that's what you were talking about this whole time...)

Speaker jacks on the amp are usually outputs from the amp for an extention cab (aka cab). By plugging your amp head into one of those, you plug your amp into another amp. Won't be what you want.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Since it's a SS amp, you should be able to run the line out into the power amp of the Peavey. It would probably sound better than using just the Peavey's speakers with the SS amp's power amp, too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm talking about the "Main" jack on the back. It has a plug for the speakers used in the cab. Using that would solve the problem -- as it would bypass the power unit of the VTX and just drive the speakers; essentially making it a cabinet for his new head.

Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Jan 31, 2012,
Does the cable going into the 'main' jack go to the speakers or to the amp? I haven't messed with that part of the amp in a while, so I'm a bit hazy.
I see what you're asking.

The jack is the output of the amp -- not the cord. The cord leads to the speakers.

VTX Classic Operator Guide: http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80343008.pdf

If you wanted to use the speakers of the VTX, you'd just need to run a speaker cable between that cord and your head (heck, it might actually be long enough to reach your head for all I know...)
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
So I should buy a 1/4" to 1/4" (female to female) connector to bridge the two cables just in case the cable isn't long enough?
Quote by Drache Wachter
So I should buy a 1/4" to 1/4" (female to female) connector to bridge the two cables just in case the cable isn't long enough?

That should do the trick. Or you could buy a male/female cable and go directly from your head to the speakers (cutting out a couple necessary connections).
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native