Is it illegal to text message when you drive if you are speaking the text message, instead of typing it?

I came across this phone app Vlingo (lets you text using your voice)looks pretty good, just didn't know if it was legal or not.

What is Vlingo?
Well it's safer, and that should probably be your first concern.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Because texting/speaking to your phone to text is so much more important than concentrating on the road. Surely it can wait until you've pulled over.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by trainspotted11
If it isn't, it should be. I ****ing hate texting drivers.

+1
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
People need to have their technology taken away. Stupid fucking humans.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Does it read the received text to you? Or would you still have to take your eyes and mind off the road for a few seconds to read the text?
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
Using your voice to text...sounds like you are too chicken to call the person so you send a little note

Exactly, that's why I hate texting. I'm not saying I don't send the occasional text message, but I'm much more likely to just pick the phone up and talk.
I know people who have never actually talked with a person they like, only text.
Quote by Trowzaa
Because texting/speaking to your phone to text is so much more important than concentrating on the road. Surely it can wait until you've pulled over.

/thread
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
Using your voice to text...sounds like you are too chicken to call the person so you send a little note...TS voice text would read:

"I like you, do you Like me? Text 7 for yes, or 9 for no."

I personally don't like even the notion of using phones if a direct confrontation with the person you like is possible and convenient.

Edit: If it's used to "being" or "engage" into a relationship.
If you lack the mental capacity to text/talk on the phone and drive you shouldn't be driving in the first place.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
It's illegal here in Santa Fe, as well as talking on your cell phone while driving, but people do it anyways. Including cops.
Quote by parigod
If you lack the mental capacity to text/talk on the phone and drive you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

No. If you lack the common sense to not talk/text and drive then you should be driving. If you text/talk and drive then you're not only putting yourself at danger but could potentially kill innocent people because of your idiocy.

Quote by Trowzaa
No. If you lack the common sense to not talk/text and drive then you should be driving. If you text/talk and drive then you're not only putting yourself at danger but could potentially kill innocent people because of your idiocy.

Haha, there should've been a "not" after that to in my post. As in what you just said.
Quote by parigod
Haha, there should've been a "not" after that to in my post. As in what you just said.

Oh, thank god

Quote by Trowzaa
No. If you lack the common sense to not talk/text and drive then you should be driving.

We're really on a roll for some typos, aren't we?
Quote by parigod

There are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to start. Your opinion as it stands is 100% based on arrogance. You're physically taking your eyes off of the road when you're texting and driving and shifting your focus to forming a conversation. I'm more inclined to state that you're just a terrible driver who instead of doing the things that make someone a good driver (noticing patterns, defensive driving, the stuff that requires focus) you neglect to do any of these things and notice no difference in your driving as any mental capacity you're using towards operating a phone wasn't in use before.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Jan 31, 2012,
Texting and driving is absolutely stupid. Talking on the cell and driving is less stupid but still quite distracting. Talk to text isn't as bad as either, but I hardly see that as being any different than talking to a passenger considering you won't be making essay length texts.
Quote by CaptainRon
There are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to start. Your opinion as it stands is 100% based on arrogance. You're physically taking your eyes off of the road when you're texting and driving and shifting your focus to forming a conversation.

I'd like to thank you for reading the entire thread before you posted.
Quote by parigod
We're really on a roll for some typos, aren't we?

Nah, that makes sense
I'm saying if you don't text while driving then you're alright

Quote by Trowzaa
Nah, that makes sense

Ah. I'm driving right now, so cut me some slack.
Quote by Trowzaa
Nah, that makes sense

What if you drive while texting?
Quote by BlackLuster

Don't put my life in danger

Brilliant.

Quote by parigod
I'd like to thank you for reading the entire thread before you posted.

I tend to open a bunch of threads/links at once so it takes me a while to get through all of them. My apologies.

Edit: Actually no, not my apologies. You were a dick about it. I not only did the above but took my time to conjure up an argument and then posted it. Any typo in your post that makes you like like an idiot is your own fault.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Jan 31, 2012,
Surely that would be nearly the same as talking on a phone while driving, which is also illegal?
Least the police should treat them as the same.
I'm assuming he's on about hands free but I still think that shouldn't be allowed, considering you'd be concentrating on listening to the person moreso on the road. I don't think there's any situation in which answering your phone in any way is more important than concentrating on the road.

I love the strategy cops have for catching texters, which works best at night.

Get two motorcycle cops to ride down the lane, making their headlights look like a car's headlights. Then they ride up alongside the car to make sure they're not texting at the red light.

****ing genius.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by parigod

You shouldn't do anything else while driving. Period.
Your focus should be 100% on the road.

Just last saturday night, due to a wet/slippery patch of asphalt, my car oversteered along a turn, and was going to end up on the opposite lane. There was a car coming fast on that lane.
If i wasn't focused on driving and didn't have both hands on the steering wheel to immediately counter-steer, i wouldn't be alive right now.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jan 31, 2012,
Quote by Vince Sixx
I love the strategy cops have for catching texters, which works best at night.

Get two motorcycle cops to ride down the lane, making their headlights look like a car's headlights. Then they ride up alongside the car to make sure they're not texting at the red light.

****ing genius.

That's retarded.

Why not just pull up along side them at a red light?
My cousin was hit by a texting driver.

Indescribably lucky that, while his car was totaled, he just had a dislocated shoulder, but suffice to say that accident made me read up on the issue, as well as apply the common sense that diverting your attention to futzing on a keyboard you can fit six keys of under your thumb to type a message on a two-inch screen while controlling a two-ton steel block careening down the street at 50MPH is stupid.

I have about as much sympathy for texting drivers as drunk drivers.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193

I have about as much sympathy for texting drivers as drunk drivers.

Bottom line: This x1000.

I never have and never will. I value the idea of not killing someone on the road, or damaging my property or killing myself that way. Texting while driving is just completely dumb.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Totally against the idea. Nothings that important over a text that you should put yourself or others in danger.
Is it hot in here??

This one time in Dubai.....

I used to do it a lot... my good friend died in a car accident last month and I promised myself I'd never text and drive again.
I hate my sig
Just lower your window and shout really loud, and throw that fúcking phone in the bin.
Quote by blake1221
I looooooove texting and driving.

I don't like to drink too much. I just hang out with people that do.