So, I'm thinking of buying a third strat. I have two MIM strats, both with mods. One is set up for standard tuning with 10's, one is set up for D standard with 11's. I also have a Les Paul that I have tuned for Eb. We use these tunings for various songs that we're playing in the group I play with.

I'm thinking of getting a third strat for the Eb tuning, and because I like collecting guitars. Is this just stupid? I'm liking the strats more than the Les Paul, and might trade the LP for an American made strat. Or I might tune the LP back to standard and just fiddle with it for a while.

I play classic rock, blues, and a little country.

What do you think? Is this wrong?

Any thoughts on what strat to get for a third one? The first one has Fender Noiseless pickups in it. The second one (the D tuned one) is getting Seymour Duncan SSL-1 pickups this weekend. Cost is not an issue, within reason (no custom shop guitars for me). I may just get another used MIM one and do the partscaster thang again. But I'm up for ideas here.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
You can do a lot with a strat. They take lots of different sounding pickups, and tend to work well for most things. Add that to your use of them for different tunings and I don't see a problem. If you were looking at getting a third bone stock MIM because you just wanted more stuff, or a different color, that would be a bit silly.

If you want a bit of a departure for the third one, I'd go with a JB junior in the bridge and some slightly hotter SD single coils in the bridge and neck. I've always liked that combination for a slightly more modern strat.
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Roc, man. Getting what you like is the bottom line. Personally, I own several guitars and I've made it a point to never buy more of the same model...but that is simply how I am, personally. I know a guy who owns THREE Clapton strats, only in different colors. I think it's sort of strange, but he enjoys having them. A buddy of mine has two of the same LPs..so, you aren't alone at all.

I think it's neat for you to set these things up to serve a certain purpose. It really seems to make use of what they call an 'arsenal.'
Quote by Roc8995
If you want a bit of a departure for the third one, I'd go with a JB junior in the bridge and some slightly hotter SD single coils in the bridge and neck.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not undeerstanding what the "JB junior" is. A little expansion, please? I'm assuming that SD is Seymour Duncan.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
Sorry - yes, a JB junior is a JB humbucker sized down to fit in a single coil slot. JBs tend to sound quite good in the bridge position of a strat - sort of like a hotter, humbucker version of the stock bridge pickup. You can also of course just put a regular JB in the bridge but you'd need to buy a new pickguard if you're buying a SSS strat stock.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/high-output/jb_jr_sjbj1/
Buying another guitar is only ''wrong'' if you or people close to you are in dire need of other things which that money should have been spent on instead. Otherwise, go buy another axe.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
It's possibly wrong that you don't own a Tele, but other than that buying another strat is fine
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Actually, a Tele could be a very viable solution for you. Its still kind of in the same neighbourhood as a Strat, but still sounds a little different.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
Actually, a Tele could be a very viable solution for you. Its still kind of in the same neighbourhood as a Strat, but still sounds a little different.

No Tele's for me right now, don't like the way they look. I'm working towards a selection of strats, each with slightly different pickups, to learn about the variations due to the electronics.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
If I had 3 Strats, those would be:

50's style, maple fretboard/neck, vintage output singlecoils
60's style, rosewood fretboard, hotter singlecoils, maybe HSS
And an HH Strat with a floyd and higher output pickups.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Maybe think about going for an HSS strat, it would give you more versatility and variety between your various strats. You could have more wiring options with it as well if you want to learn more guitar wiring stuff. Black with gold pickguard HSS strat is probably the only strat I would consider getting, but that's just me.
Nothing stupid about it all. If you like strats, it'd be stupid to not buy a strat. Don't let people make you think that you need all different types of guitars. I own 4 superstrats. Because I like superstrats. It'd be dumb for me to get a Tele for the sake of a "versatile collection", because I hate Teles.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, based on the replies, I;m moving forward. Can I do better than this one: Ash bodied strat ?
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
NB: I'm in the UK so have been using UK sites to judge the costs of things, I'll put the prices I find in commas. They may be way off for the american market..

If it were me: if I could afford a deluxe ash strat (£1300) I would save a little more and get an EJ strat (£1700)..

For that sort of money you could also try something a little different; you could almost afford a Suhr S1/2 (£1500) or a C1/2 (£1700) if you wanted a more traditional strat. I've seen s/h melancon strats go for £1300-1500 on these shores so I'm sure you could locate one cheaper. A second hand Grosh might be in your price range as well. I've heard K-line make a mean strat too.

Have you considered G&L too?

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I pulled the trigger on this one. I pick it up tomorrow after they get it set up.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
i have 2 strats and figure i'd like to have at least 2 more. never have a enough strats.