I've never understood how someone can take a guitar that's set up for E or D standard and just drop the bottom string and still sound good. It just ****s up my intonation on the lower frets if I do it. What's the deal?
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
Different string gauges and probably the bridge. The thicker the string, the better it is at dropped tuning.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
Different string gauges and probably the bridge. The thicker the string, the better it is at dropped tuning.

I use power slinkies in E and Eb and Beefy in D, so I don't think thickness is a problem for me.
BOSS NS-2
My intonation is usually just about right and I just use D'addrio 10-46s. It's not perfect but it's only barely off at the 12th fret.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Maybe your frets are the problem. Have you had them checked?
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
Maybe your frets are the problem. Have you had them checked?

No, my guitars are mid to high end and not that old. I just tried tuning by the lower frets instead of open on the bottom string and now it sounds okay. Open seems to sound alright, too.
BOSS NS-2
Do you mean going from standard to drop D "On the fly" or tuning a standard guitar for drop D "all the time"?

anyway, the intonation will "move" a little when you drop. You'd have to fine tune the intonation pegs to get it "on the spot"
Quote by t1mman
Do you mean going from standard to drop D "On the fly" or tuning a standard guitar for drop D "all the time"?

anyway, the intonation will "move" a little when you drop. You'd have to fine tune the intonation pegs to get it "on the spot"

I mean from E to drop D and D to drop C on the fly. It was hard for me to tune the string right because the needle was all over the place on the tuner, but like I said, tuning by the frets instead helped.
BOSS NS-2
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
I mean from E to drop D and D to drop C on the fly. It was hard for me to tune the string right because the needle was all over the place on the tuner, but like I said, tuning by the frets instead helped.

after you drop it enough times you can pluck the e and d strings at the same time and drop the e until it matches the d and it will come out perfect
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby