I think this may only be applicable to people in Europe or maybe even just the UK, I'm not 100% sure though.

How many of you guys have a membership with PRS?
Since my band are gigging semi-regularly and finishing up recording soon I've been strongly considering signing up for an account so I can get a bit of money when we play.

Here's the website for anyone who doesn't know about them/wants to know more http://www.prsformusic.com

If you are gigging then it shouldn't even be a consideration, it should be done. Had a guy come down and take a seminar at my uni the other day, he got paid £300 for a festival and on top of that PRS gave him £2500.

Why are you hesitating?
Just procrastination to be honest. Stupid, I know. I'm going to get on it as soon as I've got £30 to join.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRS_for_Music#Legal_cases

In 2007, PRS for Music took a Scottish car servicing company to court because the employees were allegedly "listening to the radio at work, allowing the music to be 'heard by colleagues and customers.'"

You're really going to become a member of an organisation that sues people for listening to the radio?
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Meh, I'll join when I actually start gigging. Don't really need to at the moment.

Also, this:
Quote by Basti95
Not the guitars? Screw that
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Quote by Gerard_xD
The organisation's extremely beneficial for musicians, regardless of who they sue.

And that makes it right to sue some mechanics for listening to the radio?
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

Quote by Crofty89
And that makes it right to sue some mechanics for listening to the radio?

Technically it's within their rights if the mechanics are playing music in a public place with no PRS license.
Everywhere from concert venues to garages like that NEED to buy a PRS license if they are going to be playing music that the general public can hear.

Quote by Gerard_xD
Technically it's within their rights if the mechanics are playing music in a public place with no PRS license.
Everywhere from concert venues to garages like that NEED to buy a PRS license if they are going to be playing music that the general public can hear.

Concert venues makes sense. They are charging people to get in and people are going there specifically for music being played by a band or DJ. But having the RADIO on in a garage is taking the piss. Considering any member of the public who hears that radio in the garage can get the exact same radio station in their car/on their phone/whatever, in a public place, is absolutely ridiculous. No one is losing money from someone listening to the radio.
Quote by CV334

Quote by Crofty89
Concert venues makes sense. They are charging people to get in and people are going there specifically for music being played by a band or DJ. But having the RADIO on in a garage is taking the piss. Considering any member of the public who hears that radio in the garage can get the exact same radio station in their car/on their phone/whatever, in a public place, is absolutely ridiculous. No one is losing money from someone listening to the radio.

What do you want me to say?
No, it's clearly not fair, but it's just the way it is, and suing a garage is not going to put me off signing up and getting paid to play shows.