Poll: Will you continue using Google after their privacy policy changes?
Poll Options
View poll results: Will you continue using Google after their privacy policy changes?
Yee boy, Google's my homie4lyfe
102 78%
Google? More like Poo... gle.
28 22%
Voters: 130.
Page 1 of 5
With Google's new privacy policy going up soon, I don't think I want to continue using their service anymore, which means I will be deleting all my associated data and accounts with them. Thought I'd put a poll up to see how many people will be moving away from Google.

I don't think Google put up the option to delete your account until the last year or two either. Just like facebook, theirs was always a "once in, always in" kind of service until privacy issues overcame enough friction for them to have to throw in deletion as facebook did.

If you are going to stay with Google, will you be doing so out of utter convenience of functionality? If you are moving away, what services will you use to replace Google in your life?

Myself, I will be switching to:

- ixquick non-IP-logging private search.
- Rent hosting space, buy a domain, and have my own email and FTP server.
- Mapquest lol.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Google changes policy now or google changes policy later when ACTA passes...might as well accept it now and get it over with since it's going to be like that everywhere eventually...
I won't bother changing anything. I don't have this terrifying feeling that the rest of you do about my personal information. Anything that I've said or done on the internet is probably fair game for someone to find if they look hard enough, and I can't think what "personal information" I would be so scared about being revealed.

Except bank details and the like, but I buy hardly anything online and my card changes every couple of months anyway
I still haven't read the new privacy policy. What exactly does it change?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
I still haven't read the new privacy policy. What exactly does it change?

The levels of paranoia that people are experiencing
Quote by PeZ546
So, are you quitting for political or moral reasons?

- Protect myself legally from political agendas by removing myself from Google's logs. Like I mentioned in the OP, ixquick does not store your IP for more than 48 hours. If they go down, I'm gonna go ahead and design Web 3.0 just out of frustration. I already know exactly how it needs to go down for all of us to maintain complete freedom and integrity.

- Moral reasons also - they're selling you out...
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by BlackLuster
I won't bother changing anything. I don't have this terrifying feeling that the rest of you do about my personal information. Anything that I've said or done on the internet is probably fair game for someone to find if they look hard enough, and I can't think what "personal information" I would be so scared about being revealed.

Except bank details and the like, but I buy hardly anything online and my card changes every couple of months anyway

I'm with this guy.
Don´t like google, they know too much and make too much money from our personal details. I use startpage, works fine for me.
I'm using chrome right now, so I might change my browser, recommendations?
Quote by So-Cal

Internet Explorer
Quote by BlackLuster
Internet Explorer

Okay, 2002.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
People please... just google things in a private tab in another browser and they'll never find out your sick, twisted pleasures.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by So-Cal

Firefox with startpage.com as your home page. There´s a setting on startpage that helps you change from google default to startpage when searching on firefox.
Quote by BlackLuster
The levels of paranoia that people are experiencing

That's not exactly helpful, as I've heard things ranging from something as small as "Certain sites not showing up in google" to "Only allowed to google specific things pre-set for you"
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
They aren't collecting any more data than they did before, all it is doing is combining data from multiple google services.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by necrosis1193
That's not exactly helpful, as I've heard things ranging from something as small as "Certain sites not showing up in google" to "Only allowed to google specific things pre-set for you"

Sorry if it's unhelpful, but that's the way I see it. People have this deathly unearthing fear that Google is going to ruin and change all our lives for us, and it simply isn't true.
To go with that, there are a thousand other search engines out there that are easy to use and probably just as good but everyone is paranoid about Google.
Quote by BlackLuster
Internet Explorer

I only use IE to download Opera.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by FireHawk
Google changes policy now or google changes policy later when ACTA passes...might as well accept it now and get it over with since it's going to be like that everywhere eventually...

Your apathy is sickening. We shouldn't just bow down and accept whatever bullshit is being shoved down our throats. This is going to screw everyone that uses google for searches regarding anything illegal once this PIPA shit passes. By refusing to use google we can actively protest this to try to get this stopped.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Your apathy is sickening. We shouldn't just bow down and accept whatever bullshit is being shoved down our throats. This is going to screw everyone that uses google for searches regarding anything illegal once this PIPA shit passes. By refusing to use google we can actively protest this to try to get this stopped.

I agree, those blackouts worked - but could you image the weight that would be behind the opposition if Google closed down for a day?
Quote by a_7_x
I agree, those blackouts worked - but could you image the weight that would be behind the opposition if Google closed down for a day?

The thing is that this isn't really like that. Google is playing into this whether they know it or not with their new privacy policy.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I don't care. If I really want things kept quiet, I just use Tor.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Yes.

I buy my music, but if I upload a cover then I can do time? the **** is that about.
Quote by rocknrollstar
Yes.

I buy my music, but if I upload a cover then I can do time? the **** is that about.

I don't believe you can. From my understanding copyrighted material being uploaded/posted on a website will **** shit up for the site itself for allowing it to be uploaded. For example, UG could be taken down because someone posted a link to copyrighted material in the forced listening thread.

This is how I understood SOPA to be, but ACTA may be different. Can someone follow up on this for me and correct any mistakes I made?
Quote by L2112Lif
I live in Syria. If someone tracked my private information from fookin Google, then came to stab me in THIS place? They've more than earned it.
I already use facebook, I don't think I have the right to bitch and moan about privacy and data tracking.

Besides, they've been doing it for ages, now they're just making it more efficient. Like I care, just use a burner email like guerillamail.com if you're that paranoid.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Was gonna read the new policy, but then I remembered I didn't read the old one and that I don't really give a shit.

This is the internet.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Its not apathy. I wrote my representative and all the fun stuff for SOPA, but I am starting to feel if they want to pass something like this they are going to do it one way or another.
Quote by a_7_x

In what sense did they work?

Wiki goes down for a day. They shelve the bills who's names have been made toxic. Then the very next day they shut down MegaUpload and arrest the dude who runs it.
Flawless victory?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
A better question might be how long people will continue to use Google with the shit search results Google has been cranking out lately. As for privacy, even if Google didn't store info about every site you see wouldn't your ISP?
Quote by Spud Spudly
A better question might be how long people will continue to use Google with the shit search results Google has been cranking out lately. As for privacy, even if Google didn't store info about every site you see wouldn't your ISP?

There difference there is that you are your ISP's customer, you are not google's customer, you are their product.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Slightly OT:

From the looks of things, "Steal This Wiki" has been taken down too

Quote by sam b
He's going to batter Bottas. Aye, stick that in your sig Bill

Quote by FireHawk
Its not apathy. I wrote my representative and all the fun stuff for SOPA, but I am starting to feel if they want to pass something like this they are going to do it one way or another.

apathy
noun, plural -thies.
absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement.
lack of interest in or concern for things that others find moving or exciting.

Based off of what you've said before, and what you're saying now, you're quite apathetic about this. What you're basically saying is "It's going to happen anyway, so fuck it". This is the same shit that gets us into these situations.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by Ur all $h1t
In what sense did they work?

Wiki goes down for a day. They shelve the bills who's names have been made toxic. Then the very next day they shut down MegaUpload and arrest the dude who runs it.
Flawless victory?

Yeah, sorry. I was referring to the two acts not being put through - It was by no means a victory, just opened awareness.

The US didn't need SOPA or PIPA to do what we all fear. Hence the megaupload closure, it's their way of showing those who were made aware of SOPA etc. that they still had the power to close such sites.

I just think that the more people who are aware of such acts, the more transparent they'll need to be when they try to pass them.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I don't believe you can. From my understanding copyrighted material being uploaded/posted on a website will **** shit up for the site itself for allowing it to be uploaded. For example, UG could be taken down because someone posted a link to copyrighted material in the forced listening thread.

This is how I understood SOPA to be, but ACTA may be different. Can someone follow up on this for me and correct any mistakes I made?

I hate this shit. It reminds me of school when one person would act like a dick and the whole class had to be held back for it.

That's ACTA in a nutshell.

Quote by FireHawk

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
apathy
noun, plural -thies.
absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement.
lack of interest in or concern for things that others find moving or exciting.

Based off of what you've said before, and what you're saying now, you're quite apathetic about this. What you're basically saying is "It's going to happen anyway, so fuck it". This is the same shit that gets us into these situations.

I agree with IRISH_PUNK13.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
There difference there is that you are your ISP's customer, you are not google's customer, you are their product.

Exactly. As if there isn't enough advertising and advertising mediums already.
Okay guys, since I can't actively do anything as far as ACTA goes I decided to make a big post on facebook about the issue as a way to get this around. I'm encouraging all of you to do the same. The more people you can tell about this the better. I also said in my post to protest google too because of this bullshit. I'm hoping that the people on my friends list will see this and pass it around so we can raise awareness and do all that we can to put a stop to this.
Quote by L2112Lif
My phone runs Android. I'm not giving my phone up, if theres an accident and i need to dial 999 I don't want to have to run to find a payphone.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Page 1 of 5