So I dusted of my Guild 12 string which hase been cased for about a year. It was stored tuned down to D, anyway I took it out and spent some time putting on a set of Daddario's I've had around for quite awhile, still they were new in the sense of never been used. After tunning up and playing a few chords it sounds worse than ever, sort of dull and lifless? Maybe I will try a different set of strings. Not really sure what else could be the issue.. If the would dry's out from a wall heater, could that effect tone?
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
I've heard many times that the wood kinda falls asleep if not played for a long time. It should "wake up" with a few hours of playing. Be sure to keep it well humidified, that definitely affects the wood.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Really? Has anyone else here heard of that?

Thanks!
could be the strings. on the other hand, a lot of people - including me - feel that new string sound sucks, so figure 3 to 4 days to break in before your guitar sounds right again. m but if things don't improve, and your guitar hasn't been stored in high or low humidity, figure the strings.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
ok - I strech new strings out and like bright tones anyway, so I was not really thinking it was a case of too new. I'll keep that under consideration though, thanks.....
Highly doubt it's the strings. Never heard new strings that were "dull"
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
yea - it's weird. I'm sort of bummed because it was a big purchase and I've had it for a long time so sentimental value ya know. I sent an email to the local Luthier. see what he says later..
tried to find a thread from another forum talking about what i was saying, can't find it though. stumbled upon another thread with the same discussion though. here's one quote:

"I understand what you're saying. It happens most often with my 12 string. I suppose that's because it's about my least played acoustic, and it simply falls asleep, waiting to be played. When it first comes out of the case, it often sounds awful and right away the "sell it" thoughts come flooding back. But, after being played a couple of hours it wakes up and I again decide to keep it. When I use the D12-28 consistently it displays the characteristics of a "great one", but then I put it away for weeks, sometimes months at a time, and it falls asleep again. "
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12