How did Green Day get away with pretty much stealing the "Stray Cat Strut" riff by The Stray Cats?

In Green Day's song "Hitchin' a Ride" from the album Nimrod, the main riff is the exact same one from The Stray Cats' song "Stray Cat Strut". How did they get away with that? Was there some king of lawsuit or anything? Or did they just take it and run?

Granted, I understand that Green Day is one of the most unoriginal bands out there, but other people have stolen riffs from others and made it there own.. I thought this was violation of copyright... am i wrong?
Quote by cpt_pimp
my last fail was breaking up with my gf.

that's going to suck for a while

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

Last edited by popeye100 at Jan 31, 2012,
How did RHCP get away with stealing Mary Jane's Last Dance from Tom Petty?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I don't know, let me ask someone who gives a shit.

Oh no, nobody does.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

How did the French get away with stealing their national anthem from All You Need Is Love by The Beatles?
So If I took a riff from somebody made a new chorus and bridge with a new breakdown...throw in some original lyrics, I could use that riff without getting in legal trouble?
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

Their chorus to 21 Guns is almost like "All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople.
Quote by K Reyn
Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

I would have to agree on that.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
How did Ghaddafi get awa- oh wait.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by K Reyn

No. No. No.
Every week my parents buy 3 cucumbers, by the end of the day they're all gone. They say the way to a man's heart is in his pants, not me, it's in cucumber. I cucumber too much.
CUCUMBER.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by popeye100
So If I took a riff from somebody made a new chorus and bridge with a new breakdown...throw in some original lyrics, I could use that riff without getting in legal trouble?

You? No.

Someone famous like Greenday with good lawyers? Yes.
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by ctb
Their chorus to 21 Guns is almost like "All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople.

Came here to say this, Im pretty sure I spat out whatever I was eating when I first heard it.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Vendetta16
You? No.

Someone famous like Greenday with good lawyers? Yes.

So there was a lawsuit?
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

There are only so many riffs in the world. There are bound to be repeats.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by popeye100
So there was a lawsuit?

Since you're obviously got your bum in a knot why not do some googling?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by popeye100
How did Green Day get away with pretty much stealing the "Stray Cat Strut" riff by The Stray Cats?

In Green Day's song "Hitchin' a Ride" from the album Nimrod, the main riff is the exact same one from The Stray Cats' song "Stray Cat Strut". How did they get away with that? Was there some king of lawsuit or anything? Or did they just take it and run?

Granted, I understand that Green Day is one of the most unoriginal bands out there, but other people have stolen riffs from others and made it there own.. I thought this was violation of copyright... am i wrong?

Probably because nobody knows who the fk The Stray Cats are.
Quote by rockingamer2
Since you're obviously got your bum in a knot why not do some googling?

I tried all I could find is little fan based websites talking about Green Day.
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

Quote by BlackVoid
Probably because nobody knows who the fk The Stray Cats are.

you shut your whore mouth
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Chances are if Green Day were involved in a lawsuit of this nature NME and Kerrang would have reported on it. The point I was trying to make is that a tiny no name band is not gunna take on a band like Green Day if there own song hadn't been widely known before, considering Green Day can afford good lawyers
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
"Weels" by Foo Fighters and "Learning to Fly" by Tom Petty, "Wonder wall" by Oasis and "boulevard of broken dreams" by Green day (which they were almost sued over) or every single 4 chord song (or blues 12 song btw)
There are only so many chord progressions that makes sense to the mainstream audiences and so there will be a lot of reusing old riffs. The more time progresses the less "new ground" is there to cover. If everyone avoided using old riffs there would be almost no new music out there. Only ranting on but you see my point.
Gear

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Fender Stratocaster HW1
Squier Vint mod P-bass
Boss DS-2 distortion
electro-harmonics "Small Clone"
Roland GA-60 combo amplifier (nickname "Nap attack")
"The more time progresses the less "new ground" is there to cover. If everyone avoided using old riffs there would be almost no new music out there. Only ranting on but you see my point."

which is why black metal elitism makes total sense
Quote by Colgate Total
Because no one cares.

this. no one really cares. i used to when i was an elitist metal kid. now im just a regular metal head that doesn't give a ****. music is music.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
How did RHCP get away with stealing Mary Jane's Last Dance from Tom Petty?

listening to the Tom Petty now, but I can't think of an RHCP song that sounds like it?
Quote by theknuckster
listening to the Tom Petty now, but I can't think of an RHCP song that sounds like it?

Dani California. Even the lyrics is similiar.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Dani California. Even the lyrics is similiar.

Tt's a v-IV-i song about girls and growing up in America, so I don't think that's so much to read into...
Also, from the man himself:
“I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock ‘n’ roll songs sound alike. Ask Chuck Berry. The Strokes took ‘American Girl’ [for their song 'Last Nite'], and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, ‘OK, good for you’ … If someone took my song note for note and stole it maliciously, then maybe . But I don’t believe in lawsuits much. I think there are enough frivolous law suits in this country without people fighting over pop songs.”
I heard this rap song. I wana say it was on yellowwolfs new album, it had the melody from black by pearl jam.

Btbam completely ripped off lunar wilderness from rihannas we found love, note for note.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Jan 31, 2012,
Quote by K Reyn

i use this phrase too. nobody ever knows where its from
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
How did Django Reinhardt get away with stealing the outro riff from Necrophagist's "Fermented Offal Discharge" 60 years before it came out?
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']How did Django Reinhardt get away with stealing the outro riff from Necrophagist's "Fermented Offal Discharge" 60 years before it came out?
I'm guessing it involved magnets somehow.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████