Hi,
Don't beat me over the head, but I am new and am learning. However, I bought a POS electric guitar, Tye-Ger brand, with an amp. It was a starter kit. I didn't want to spend a lot to find out I didn't like it. What is done, is done. I can't go back.

However, after learning a few chords and really interested in pursing this, I find that the guitar and amp suck. It's really fun to play, but the sound from the amp is horrible. And I don't think it's me for the most part. Maybe it's the settings on the amp (only "hi" and "low" on this sucker). It doesn't sound like I can do much with it like make a heavier sound or a 50's sound.

Again, I am new, maybe I am asking for too much too soon. Maybe you'll tell me to be patient or actually get new gear. But I have this question.

Would an improved amp or an improved guitar help (ultimate answer is more practice and both new guitar and amp would be better), but if I had to start somewhere, would it be amp or guitar if BOTH at the same time is not an option. Thanks for your help!
I would start with a new amp, A great guitar will still sound shit on a crappy amp, but your crap guitar will sound better on a good amp.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Quote by troyofyort
I would start with a new amp, A great guitar will still sound shit on a crappy amp, but your crap guitar will sound better on a good amp.

Some people may argue that bad sounds come from bad players, but I honestly think having better equipment will improve your sound. Someone can only sound so good while playing on really low tier gear.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
As long as the guitar is playable you should stick with it and when you get a better one it'll feel amazing, while nothing puts you off playing like a crap amp sound. New amp every time. Have a look through the forums for what fits your budget, take your guitar down to a shop and try a few out to make sure they compliment your guitar and then take the plunge. Best of luck, you've just picked up a brilliant hobby.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by troyofyort

This. I wouldn't be afraid to spend €200-€250 or even €300 on an amp as a beginner.
Of course, a new guitar is probably appropriate but in terms of sound it won't have as much of an effect.
I would suggest that if you are serious about guitar go to a guitar stoe nearest you and check out some of the guitars there, find which guitar design, sound, feel, you like. Some guitar companies that are built for starting guitarists are squier, epiphone, and some of Ibanez's lower end guitars. As for amps there are beginner level amps like the Fender Frontman, Marshall MG just to name a few. Also, one thing not to forget is get a good cord cheap guitar cables make crackles and sound bad
I recommend checking out the Fender Mustang 1, It is only $100 dollars and you can get literally any type of sound out of it.
Quote by Shinozoku
No, the guitar was built to play metal. Not pussy ass cowboy chords. They won't work on that guitar. Get a Gibson Hummingbird for that bullshit. .
UG'ers of Newfoundland
And if you decide to buy new gear, I would recommend used stuff as long as it is reliable brands. Used high-quality equipment for reasonable price is always better than new low budget stuff that you will stick with only a short period of time.

ebay or musiker-board

http://www.musik-service.de/Flohmarkt.aspx
Thanks for all the imput. Looks like amp it is. Thanks for recommendations too. One quick one: there is a Line 6 on Amazon for $100 that I saw a review for on youtube. Anyone like that brand or heard things about them?

I am excited about playing. It looks like I need a new cord because there is a lot of noise like hissing and popping. Thanks for bringing that up.
Don't even look at the line6. They are terrible (if spider we talking about)
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Line 6s are alright. I'd check out the Peavey Vypyr, and perhaps a Yamaha Pacifica guitar.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by Killsocket
Hi,
Don't beat me over the head, but I am new and am learning. However, I bought a POS electric guitar, Tye-Ger brand, with an amp. It was a starter kit. I didn't want to spend a lot to find out I didn't like it. What is done, is done. I can't go back.

However, after learning a few chords and really interested in pursing this, I find that the guitar and amp suck. It's really fun to play, but the sound from the amp is horrible. And I don't think it's me for the most part. Maybe it's the settings on the amp (only "hi" and "low" on this sucker). It doesn't sound like I can do much with it like make a heavier sound or a 50's sound.

Again, I am new, maybe I am asking for too much too soon. Maybe you'll tell me to be patient or actually get new gear. But I have this question.

Would an improved amp or an improved guitar help (ultimate answer is more practice and both new guitar and amp would be better), but if I had to start somewhere, would it be amp or guitar if BOTH at the same time is not an option. Thanks for your help!

Most of those no-name 10 watt starter amps really do sound like crap - ideal starter amp is a Roland Microcube - cheap, easy to use, makes a few nice sounds, has a few simple effects and runs of batteries so is worth keeping around for shits and giggles even if you buy something bigger.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, it was the Spider 20W.
I found the Peavy Vyper and Mustang 1, both priced well at Amazon? I don't know why I like to use Amazon as a starting point, but I do.
http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-Modeling-Amplifier/dp/B0035GWSV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328112006&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Mustang-Electric-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B0042EZH6W/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1328112188&sr=1-1