I want to get pickups for my Ibanez RG. It's just a run of the mill RG, HH basswood/maple.

Mainly gonna be playing a lot of Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails with this guitar.

Should I get something like PAF's, or do they generally use higher output stuff?

Amp is a Vypyr Tube. I currently have EMG HZ's in the Ibanez, mostly what I want out of it is something more "lively", not so dull and bleh sounding.

Thanks~

EDIT: Totally forgot to add, I do want them to be DiMarzios.

EDIT 2: If it helps, I'm looking for something to be able to do this:

Reptile @ 3:40

Tourniquet @ 0:55

So maybe something on the lower output side of things?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 1, 2012,
A thread asking for Dimarzios specifically - This should be fun!

There are pups considerably higher output than normal PAFs. A lot higher!

I'd go one step further than just normal D-Activators and get the D-Activators Xs and maybe even an X2N in the bridge (it works for some people)
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I found both the D-Activator and XN2 to sound pretty dodgy personally..........

I reccommend the DiMarzio Crunch Lab(B)/ Liquifire (N) combo.

The cream of the DiMarzio crop
Last edited by T7E at Feb 1, 2012,
D'Activators are amazing in mahogany, wouldn't recommend them for a basswood RG though.

I'd agree with T7E - get the Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo. Should get some awesome tones with that.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
D'Activators or X2N, maybe even a Super Distortion.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
People use EMG's for industrial cause it needs lots of damn output, and they seem to be fit well with all effects. For dimarzio, I think a pickup with more output then D-Activator would be too much so don't go for X2N or D-Activator X. But if you use currently EMG HZ, you can go for active ones. But seriously, If I look for a high output picku from dimarzio, that's SUper Distortion.
+1, the X2N is garbage, the D-Activators are really suited to different situations to the one you're in.

Pair of Breeds, not much point getting super high output pickups with a modelling amp - they'll be great for livening up a basswood RG and giving it more oomph. Powerful, plenty of mids and crunch but not as compressed and sterile sounding as some of the shreddier Dimarzios, they've got a bit more of an organic tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
To balance out a basswood RG for that kind of alt tone, if you're dead set on DiMarzios then I'd just pick a Tone Zone for the bridge and a Breed neck.

Though frankly, when it comes to alt styles I find DiMario's selection to be rather lacking. I go to DM for shred, jazz and pop, but for alt, goth and grunge (and any offshoot/bastard baby genre, such as industrial) I head to Seymour Duncan. An SD Custom bridge with the magnet swapped for an alnico 8 one and a Pearly Gates neck with the magnet swapped for an alnico 4 or 5 makes an unbeatable combination for that kind of tone in any bolt-on guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ive always used a SD hot rodded set for everything humbucker, JB and Jazz, saddly all my guitars are mahogany and ive never liked the sound of a JB in basswood, same with active EMGs, something sounds off to my ear there too, now the crunch lab/liquid fire combo is AMAZING, maybe check out some bareknuckles as well, another company i found was riogrande, but theyre prices are a tad high for what they offer
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
Breeds look really good. I've never really looked into those pickups before.

How about a D-Sonic/Breed combo? Yes/no?

Tone Zone/Breed also looks really appealing.

EDIT: If it helps, I'm looking for something to be able to do this:

Reptile @ 3:40

Tourniquet @ 0:55

So maybe something on the lower output side of things?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92
Breeds look really good. I've never really looked into those pickups before.

How about a D-Sonic/Breed combo? Yes/no?

Tone Zone/Breed also looks really appealing.

Have a listen to the amp clips in my profile, that's a pair of breeds but in a mahogany guitar so in your situation things wouldn't quite be so wooly due to the basswood. I'd steer away from the Tone Zone based on my experience, it's more a shredders pickup to my ears and not all that great for rhythm work - the mid spike is too pronounced and it's all a bit too busy and dense tonally. The D-Sonic's good, it's a very tight pickup with exceptional clarity under distortion...I guess a way to compare it to the Breed is that it's like a sabre compared to the Breed's sledgehammer.

[EDIT]
those tones are quite grainy and organic to my ears, definitely more the Breeds territory than the D-Sonic.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Possibly going too far low here, but how about a Air Zone/Bluesbucker? Too low output?

I'm a little afraid of a Breed set being too high output, but I have no idea how much output DiMarzio pups have.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Use your volume/tone knobs!
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄