This is one of my favorite Judas Priest songs. Saw them live on this tour and I was so happy they played it. This is in no way a good rendition of the song, but here is an example of them playing it recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPFHEt1Ett8&feature=related

Played slow, pretty sloppy, Halford doesn't sound great, Scott drops his drumstick and gets lost, sad to see they're losing it. But my question comes during the solo. At the end of his second solo and during Glenn's sweeping solo, his left hand barely moves! No fingers flying at all during such a furious solo. I noticed this throughout the show, he has a pretty unique, efficient style. Is he muting with his right hand? His solos are just so hard to nail, but it seems like he uses no effort whatsoever. Is it amazing technique or is he getting lazy? You don't usually see people doing quick tremolo picked runs with their fingers slithering across the strings like he does.

And they should release that sig guitar. Nothing like it!

Also, everyone should hear Machine Head's cover of this song! Damn good!
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez Iceman IC-200
Jackson RR3
Epiphone FT-120
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass
Crate Blue Voodoo 60
Marshall 1960B
Markbass CMD 102P
Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Stereo Memory Man
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Ibanez AF2
Efficient movements are extremely good and what you should always be aiming for, if something is hard but looks easy then good.

He might very well be getting old but flailing fingers are bad.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Jesus that was pretty awful, Robs voice was fine a few years ago when i saw them. He has always played like that, must just have a very low action and very strong fingers or something
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Yeah, Glenn Tipton is one of my fav guitarists along with Adrian Smith and Janick Gers... But man... His solos are pain in the arse for me at least. Maybe because many solos are hard to tab... And I saw him do the painkiller solo.... HE NAILED IT. It was like he was warming , my jaw hit the floor.
You know Glenn Tip and KK were about 30 years old when they made that album
Quote by takachan
You know Glenn Tip and KK were about 30 years old when they made that album

Which is why I was wondering if he changed his style since then, because it's not like his skills deteriorated, his playing is kind of sloppy here. I hadn't seen a video with a close-up of his hands during that solo before, the 1986 turbo tour DVD doesn't show them I don't believe. I can understand Halford at 60 not being able to sound like he used to, but I was inquiring about how Glenn is so efficient in his playing and why it is so hard to replicate.
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez Iceman IC-200
Jackson RR3
Epiphone FT-120
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass
Crate Blue Voodoo 60
Marshall 1960B
Markbass CMD 102P
Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Stereo Memory Man
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Ibanez AF2
Quote by IcemanSOAD
Which is why I was wondering if he changed his style since then, because it's not like his skills deteriorated, his playing is kind of sloppy here. I hadn't seen a video with a close-up of his hands during that solo before, the 1986 turbo tour DVD doesn't show them I don't believe. I can understand Halford at 60 not being able to sound like he used to, but I was inquiring about how Glenn is so efficient in his playing and why it is so hard to replicate.

Looking back on some of the older shows it looks like he's always been that efficient. Make no mistake: just because he's sloppy now doesn't mean his technique has changed, it just means he's losing it a bit. His technique is good, there is no doubt about that.

As for how he does it... he's always practiced that way. Making small relaxed movements and so on when he practices so it translates across when he's playing at speed. Check out Freepower's youtube channel and a few of his videos to see how you can get there too.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.