Page 1 of 2
I really don't like how there's a pill for everything. Not all depression is biological. Doctors who prescribe drugs for depression think it's something wrong with the body, but I believe a lot of depression deals with your mind. Hardly anyone wants to sit down and figure out how to fix themselves, they just jump to the nearest pill.
Quote by CodChick
I really don't like how there's a pill for everything. Not all depression is biological. Doctors who prescribe drugs for depression think it's something wrong with the body, but I believe a lot of depression deals with your mind. Hardly anyone wants to sit down and figure out how to fix themselves, they just jump to the nearest pill.

+1.
Theres a pill for bloody everything.
I would gladly take mushrooms from my doctor.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by thewho65
I barely even want to take a tylenol when I have a headache

Mental disorders are more serious than a slight headache. Don't be so quick to judge.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Mental disorders are more serious than a slight headache. Don't be so quick to judge.

Indeed. lol@littlekidsmouthingoff
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
+1.
Theres a pill for bloody everything.

Seriously. My family member works at a hospital and this one middle-aged lady asked:

"You have pill for this?"
"Sorry, but a pill for this doesn't exist right now"
"... But you still give her pill, right?"

Like, okay. Pills are fine when you're truly suffering and you really need help. But I'm not going to run and get the Vicodan every time I hurt. It's just stupid and it's bad for your body.
Quote by CodChick
Seriously. My family member works at a hospital and this one middle-aged lady asked:

"You have pill for this?"
"Sorry, but a pill for this doesn't exist right now"
"... But you still give her pill, right?"

Like, okay. Pills are fine when you're truly suffering and you really need help. But I'm not going to run and get the Vicodan every time I hurt. It's just stupid and it's bad for your body.

I went to my doc with a sore throat last year. He prescribed 2 inhalers and some steroid pills. It was over 200$ with no med coverage. Turns out I had tonsilitis......

Quote by StonedColdCrazy
I went to my doc with a sore throat last year. He prescribed 2 inhalers and some steroid pills. It was over 200$ with no med coverage. Turns out I had tonsilitis......

That's another thing. Doctors abuse their ability to give out drugs, but I'm not going into that.
Mushrooms are great. Really take you out of your shoes and see things differently. No surprise at all they help with depression.

And they are NOT addictive. as anyone who has taken them more than one day in a row can atttest.
Tiger blood does the trick usually

Ketamine is a stupid drug. You make bad decisions for two hours then go to sleep for 12, and then you've gotta wake up and deal with your mess. They wouldn't prescribe it for depression.
Dickless.
Quote by CodChick

There are certainly general practitioners who unfortunately haven't kept up with rapidly advancing fields such as psychology.

However they are a minority. The idea of using SSRIs or any other drug for depression is not to cure the disorder. It is to alleviate some of the symptoms that make treating the disorder itself next to impossible. It's hard to treat someone who sleeps all day for example.
However most treatments for depression include some form of counselling, which often includes Cognitive Behavioural Therapy these days, which do aim to attack the root of the disorder.

Depression can't really be fixed by oneself as it is not an ephemeral emotional state. The emotions are a symptom of an underlying problem. Depression is caused, at least in part, by a pattern of maladaptive (if ironically rather realistic) cognitions. It is important to try to change those cognitive patterns, and that takes proper therapy and sometimes needs to be aided by medication to get one out of what is essentially a horrific cycle.
Real depression is not something you can snap out of, anymore than you can snap out of heart disease or cancer.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
There are certainly general practitioners who unfortunately haven't kept up with rapidly advancing fields such as psychology.

However they are a minority. The idea of using SSRIs or any other drug for depression is not to cure the disorder. It is to alleviate some of the symptoms that make treating the disorder itself next to impossible. It's hard to treat someone who sleeps all day for example.
However most treatments for depression include some form of counselling, which often includes Cognitive Behavioural Therapy these days, which do aim to attack the root of the disorder.

Depression can't really be fixed by oneself as it is not an ephemeral emotional state. The emotions are a symptom of an underlying problem. Depression is caused, at least in part, by a pattern of maladaptive (if ironically rather realistic) cognitions. It is important to try to change those cognitive patterns, and that takes proper therapy and sometimes needs to be aided by medication to get one out of what is essentially a horrific cycle.
Real depression is not something you can snap out of, anymore than you can snap out of heart disease or cancer.

This.

For long term depression, CBT is usually prescribed alongside SSRIs.

Although, I do agree with other posters. I don't like how everything has a counteractive drug nowadays.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I thought this was about the cereal. I am dissappointed.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
This.

For long term depression, CBT is usually prescribed alongside SSRIs.

Although, I do agree with other posters. I don't like how everything has a counteractive drug nowadays.

Having suffered depression for around a year - CBT is absolutely more effective than SSRIs.

I was on 30mg of Citalopram and just stopped one day and it was completely fine since the CBT was so effective.

However, I do know a few people who find them really helpful. Personally, I feel that unless you can realise the cause of your depression, then the SSRIs can help. But coming to that realisation is the best thing and after that, no medication is necessary.
Yeah! drugs really do solve the loss of loved ones and friends.

But seriously, i tired CBT with a Councillor and i had the therapy for a whole year. i relapsed in a week. I took sertraline and citaolipram but after 3 days of taking it, i was too ill to work. Hypnosis helped me the most by far

Quote by CodChick

This. In a lot of instances, the problem is actually doing something about the cause of the depression.

Quote by Weaponized
Damn depressed ppl need 2 get over it.

Glad you've never been depressed?

Quote by Ur all $h1t

However they are a minority. The idea of using SSRIs or any other drug for depression is not to cure the disorder. It is to alleviate some of the symptoms that make treating the disorder itself next to impossible.

This. This is why CBT didn't work
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 31, 2012,
Quote by CrunchyRoll

Did Crunchy just... not troll? My god.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Exercise is the best cure for depression. Half an hour walk a day does wonders.

End of.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Exercise is the best cure for depression. Half an hour walk a day does wonders.

End of.

Exercise only shows significant positive effects for people suffering from depression characterised as mild to moderate. Furthermore it is rather difficult to go and have a half hour walk when among the symptoms of depression are hypersomnia and a general lack of motivation.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by CodChick

I picked up a book on vacation this past summer that I regret not buying now. It was written by a professor of neuroscience and the brain while she was having a stroke or some kind of brain trauma. She documented and studied her own condition as it worsened and (I think) healed. I flipped it open to a random page and it was about her emotions. According to her, chemicals in our brain that make us feel certain emotions, such as rage and sadness, only persist for around a minute or less. After that time period, it's up to us to let go of the emotion or to dwell on it. Mind over matter is real.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Uh, this is so wierd. I just became depressed all of sudden. Ah well, I guess I'll have to do some mushrooms...
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Exercise only shows significant positive effects for people suffering from depression characterised as mild to moderate. Furthermore it is rather difficult to go and have a half hour walk when among the symptoms of depression are hypersomnia and a general lack of motivation.

It's EXTREMELY difficult.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I am severely depressed and i am so sick and tired of doing nothing all my life for 5 years, that i force myself outside and walk. Because i hate myself far too much to do nothing. Basically, everything i don't want to do, i do. Because what i did want to do every day was to kill myself.

I just want to rid myself of depression that badly that i'll torture myself. Who gives a shit if its the hardest thing to do in the world? i want to kill myself. The chances of death are imminent anyway, so what do i have to lose?

as fucked up as that sounds, that is my motivation to go outside. Because i have complete disregard for myself. I don't deserve the satisfaction of doing nothing. And if i can't go outside, it means that i don't want to be free badly enough.

Exercise for many people who are depressed find it beneficial. I have nothing to lose by trying it no matter how depressed i am. and if it doesn't work, at least i tried.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by shavorules42
I picked up a book on vacation this past summer that I regret not buying now. It was written by a professor of neuroscience and the brain while she was having a stroke or some kind of brain trauma. She documented and studied her own condition as it worsened and (I think) healed. I flipped it open to a random page and it was about her emotions. According to her, chemicals in our brain that make us feel certain emotions, such as rage and sadness, only persist for around a minute or less. After that time period, it's up to us to let go of the emotion or to dwell on it. Mind over matter is real.

You mean Jill Bolte Taylor. she's awesome.
You may however have missed her point somewhat. Your entire brain is chemicals and electrical signals, nothing else. There is no magic. Those chemicals are everything you are I'm afraid.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I am severely depressed and i am so sick and tired of doing nothing all my life for 5 years, that i force myself outside and walk. Because i hate myself far too much to do nothing. Basically, everything i don't want to do, i do. Because what i did want to do every day was to kill myself.

I just want to rid myself of depression that badly that i'll torture myself. Who gives a shit if its the hardest thing to do in the world? i want to kill myself. The chances of death are imminent anyway, so what do i have to lose?

as fucked up as that sounds, that is my motivation to go outside. Because i have complete disregard for myself. I don't deserve the satisfaction of doing nothing. And if i can't go outside, it means that i don't want to be free badly enough.

Exercise for many people who are depressed find it beneficial. I have nothing to lose by trying it no matter how depressed i am. and if it doesn't work, at least i tried.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You mean Jill Bolte Taylor. she's awesome.
You may however have missed her point somewhat. Your entire brain is chemicals and electrical signals, nothing else. There is no magic. Those chemicals are everything you are I'm afraid.
That's very probable seeing as I just opened up to a random page. Thanks for the name though, now I might buy the book. I just remember her saying she had a choice to remain angry at her condition.
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Quote by shavorules42
The world's your oyster

I've seen that so many times. But its true. You've just gotta be brave and face your fears.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Hopefully I get dumped, lose my job and crash my car so I can start to form depression and get me some special k.

Oh wait, I don't have any of those things. : ( ... I just need a bowl and some special k
RAW POWER
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've seen that so many times.

Then do it man. Or try hypnotherapy again
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
Quote by shavorules42
Then do it man. Or try hypnotherapy again

I do do it.

and I would try hypnotherapy again. But I can't afford it. Its massively expensive.

Its a terrible shame because i miss my therapist it really does help me feel a lot better.

All i can do is walk myself to death. Even if it is emotional consensual rape.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by shavorules42
That's very probable seeing as I just opened up to a random page. Thanks for the name though, now I might buy the book. I just remember her saying she had a choice to remain angry at her condition.
Absolutely. Most people do have that ability. What's unfortunate is that there are disorders that prevent that for people suffering with them. Their brain chemistry is different, not different in the "every snowflake is different" way but in the "you probs need to fix this, it's hurting you" way.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I've been going through waves of depression over the last year. The only way out is true understanding of your psyche, the extent of what you can do for yourself, your family, and the world, and looking forward to a hopeful future.

Depression also rewires your framework on what it means to be happy. It's a tough question to answer for yourself when you seem to have lost your way... what does it really mean be happy (not for a moment, not for a day, a week, etc. Forever.), how does it feel like, and how can you make yourself tailor your experiences and expectations to feel that way?

I don't think you need pills or medicine when you experience depression. Introspection and counsel are the right solutions to unravel the thought processes in your mind that make you feel like shit, and rewiring them to make you happy.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
ive never toyed with psychedelics (though i would like to try one day, with quality stuff and good friends), but everything ive heard about them tells me mushrooms+ deprssion= catastrophic disaster

Depression can actually be eased by some fairly simple things. A proper diet, a good excercise routine, being outdoors a fair amount, some nice music, and a healthy sleep schedule (which can be hard when you're depressed, but is not impossible *see above*)
Isn't this what most people on here do anyways?
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
You can't go to work in a k- hole.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Page 1 of 2