I plan on purchasing a Hellraiser C-1 soon, and I have a strap (poly or nylon) and I worry that the guitar may be too heavy for the strap. Should I get a better strap with it (and/or strap locks?).
The strap itself should hold, but I say get strap locks. I swear by them these days.
I use strap locks as well. I prefer to use straps with leather ends instead of cheap materials. Ive always had issues with them breaking. Fender makes great straps. Its all personal preference, but i always go for comfort and durability.
Quote by telemetal
The strap itself should hold, but I say get strap locks. I swear by them these days.

This

But I like having a diecent Leather strap for a good guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Definitely get strap locks, not only adds protection but it makes it a lot easier to put the strap on/take it off.

As far as straps go, I've been using a simple Ernie Ball strap I picked up for $10 when I bought my very first guitar, and I've used it on everything from a Washburn to an ESP to my Les Paul and it's help up perfectly fine, so yours should too.
Okay...I will play sitting down for around a week after I get it so I can get strap locks with this strap: http://www.guitarcenter.com/LM-Products-Studded-Guitar-Strap-104643085-i1130650.gc Or this so I can get the locks at the same time, depends which one is better: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ernie-Ball-2--Poly-Strap-100205678-i1413294.gc
I heard the Hellraiser is heavier than normal (mahogany is heavy)
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 1, 2012,
The C-1 isn't so heavy that it's going to make a difference. We're talking a pound or two, distributed over a large volume of material. Don't worry about it.

That being said, strap locks are awesome -- I put them on every guitar.

Feel free to get whatever style you like, but if I had to choose between bling and quality of materials, I'll take the quality any day. The first link you posted is little different than the second. They're both nylon straps with leather ends. They'll both work fine and you won't have to worry about failure. So the second one would do it for me if it means you can get the locks at the same time.

Get some strap locks as soon as you can afford them (consider them an investment for your nice new baby).

Oh, and one other thing. If you're buying the C-1 new, see if the store will throw in a nice leather strap and strap locks as part of the deal.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Feb 1, 2012,
i like schaller strap locks. have them on most of my main guitars. they are pretty much failproof, also if they were to give, you would have that piece of metal right underneath the strap and would still hold the guitar.. i use loctite on the metal pieces that touch the strap, not the permanent kind though. the only way you can mess it up are to not install properly.

if you are ever worring about a strap being able to hold your guitar, grab it by both ends and pull on it with the center of you strap being under your foot. if it can handle that (and are bigger than 120 lbs), nothing will mess up the strap. i am 6'0" 250lbs, if i have never broken a strap testing that way, i doubt you are going to run into trouble.

my only problem is that some straps don't come long enough. no i dont have my guitars at me knees, its a reasonable height, but i spent like $30 on a leather strap and it was too short. not worth shipping back, probably be $10, used it as trade fodder on a cl deal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
my only problem is that some straps don't come long enough. no i dont have my guitars at me knees, its a reasonable height, but i spent like $30 on a leather strap and it was too short. not worth shipping back, probably be $10, used it as trade fodder on a cl deal.

Me too. I am a bigger guy and only 1 strap I have is long enough that I have bought, and that is a Nylon Car seatbelt one. All my other straps are leather and my dad has made longer ends for me(he's a leather-smith).

And nothing says METAL like BLACK LEATHER!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I always use schaller straplocks and a good sturdy leather strap on all my guitars, the cost is relatively low, especially vs. getting a headstock/neck/pointy part of your guitar glued back on after it hits the deck due to a crappy weak strap. Re. nylon/fabric straps, I've seen plenty of those break, almost always at the plastic 'buckle' part where you adjust the strap.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
buy some straplocks and a nice leather strap.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I guess I'm the only one that's 'survived' without strap locks on any of my guitars.

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Dunlop Straplocks for me. And before I found Couch it was always a mission trying to find a long enough straps - I'm 6'6" and most seem to get my LP or SG as far as my ribcage. In fact a guy in one shop said "that's enough" - ??? What? How would he know where my preference is? (I like the area I strum and pick to be just below belt level).
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
in reality i would wager that most strap-lock failures would be due to an improper installation, than mechanism. i have seen a dunlop straplock fail in person (some kid at a gig), he caught it as it happened and everything is fine, so all is well, but i am betting he pulled the threads of the screw right out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I've used Schaller straplocks for 20 or 30 years and have only had one break on me, the little knob unscrewed and got lost. Never had one actually fail and I played a lot of punk. You know, all that Sid Viscous jumping shit.
Get a nice comfy leather strap and stick some Schaller straplocks on your guitar. You won't regret it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Flux'D
I guess I'm the only one that's 'survived' without strap locks on any of my guitars.

Nah, it's not like that. Heck, I've never had a problem with or without strap locks. They're not essential, but a real nice-to-have...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Flux'D

i had one close call, that was enough. caught the gibson about 4" from the ground. it was a good strap too. spending a hundred bucks to put straplocks on all of my guitars is worth it to me than to either repair myself or find a luthier if one were to be damaged.

i do have to say guitars aren't as fragile as you think though. yea you bang it on something you may get a dent and need to tune it again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I dropped my guitar once back at the beginning and put a great big ding in my shiny red guitar. Stuck straplocks on everything and it's never happened again. Schallers and you use a spanner to tighten the nut. Practically foolproof.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I guess the way the strap attaches to my guitars (vintage ML, Razorback, Flying V, etc) they don't really need straplocks. The weight of the guitar keeps the strap secure on the bottom horn since it wraps around it and the other one is located on the heel of the neck. And all of them come with rather large strap buttons, where it takes a second to get the strap around it.

Then again I don't jump around or anything like that either
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
I guess the way the strap attaches to my guitars (vintage ML, Razorback, Flying V, etc) they don't really need straplocks. The weight of the guitar keeps the strap secure on the bottom horn since it wraps around it and the other one is located on the heel of the neck. And all of them come with rather large strap buttons, where it takes a second to get the strap around it.

Then again I don't jump around or anything like that either

I hear you. The strap buttons on the PRSi I've bought were gigantic! The problem I had was getting a strap ON the thing.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Flux'D

I've never used straplocks. I don't know what the **** you guys are doing onstage.

I've never had a guitar drop off a strap except once, and that was my fault.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
I've never used straplocks. I don't know what the **** you guys are doing onstage.

i don't ever do anything stupid, that is for damn sure, but how do you feel about the positioning of the neck side strap button on a LP. could they be more useless as far as angle? i realize that balance is important, but i am sure there could be an alternate location.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't ever do anything stupid, that is for damn sure, but how do you feel about the positioning of the neck side strap button on a LP. could they be more useless as far as angle? i realize that balance is important, but i am sure there could be an alternate location.

I've never had any problems with the location on my SG
--

--
I have the strap button on a Harmony Stratotone fall out. My LP slip at the neck from brand new, good quality straps and an Ibanez fall from my ex-wife's shoulder to the rocky ground as she "helped" me get gear to the car.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by stratman_13

You aint a punk are ye?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by stratman_13

Curious, what happened that was your fault?

And I liken them to other protective things people buy and use. I use to exclusively buy steel toed boots for work, but never had my foot crushed to necessitate it. And while they were expensive, I just thought it was prudent.

Strap locks (I prefer the Dunlop style) cost about $25. Way cheaper than my boots.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by stratman_13
I've never had any problems with the location on my SG

maybe you should look a little closer. the location on the SG is on the back of the body. les pauls have it on top at a queer angle on the edge.

research before saying something you do not know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
maybe you should look a little closer. the location on the SG is on the back of the body. les pauls have it on top at a queer angle on the edge.

research before saying something you do not know.

Sorry Derek.

But wouldn't straplocks be uncomfortable on that location? I've never owned a Paul so I can't really comment.

And that initial comment wasn't directed at you.
--

--