Hey all

I'm currently saving up for a new amp (still a long way to go but checking out all options while waiting) and the amp in particular I got an eye on is the engl invader..

The main reason it caught my attention is it's versatility. That and the amazing lead tones it has. And the cleans.. Hell, the only downside (for me) is the pretty bright rhythm tone.

For rhythm tones I really like the Mesa Boogie dual/triple rectifier. I just love the darkness it has and the palmmutes, but unfortunately it lacks the versatility I need..

My search for versatility brought me to the ENGL Invader 100. As far as I've heared it can tackle any genre I play with ease, but as mentioned before, none of the clips I found sounds as dark as I'd like my rhythm tones to be.

When I think Mesa Boogie rectifier tone with more versatility, the obvious solution seems to be a mark IV or V, but unfortunately those are above my pricerange (I live in Belgium so they are sort of overpriced here)

So my question is, is it possible to get dark tones out of an ENGL Invader that are comparable to the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, Mark IV or Mark V? Maybe with certain cabinets or something?

The main genre I'll use the amp for is symphonic metal, but I play just about anything, ranging from blues to softer rock to heavy metal, hence my need for versatility.

To illustrate the rhythm tones I'm after, here are a few clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVcqqGjH5s&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKfvVhAwG8

These clips illustrate the darkness I'd like to have in the tone, and preferably from an ENGL invader..

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated!

PS. Unfortunately I am unable to test out the amps since very few shops actually have high end gear in stock around where I live :/
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Last edited by Gego at Jan 31, 2012,
Maybe the E670 Special Edition? 6L6 tubes should make it a little darker than the EL34s in the Invader.
Quote by Sputnik1
Maybe the E670 Special Edition? 6L6 tubes should make it a little darker than the EL34s in the Invader.

That unfortunately is even more expensive than the mark V so it sort of falls outside of my pricerange, the Invader is already stretching it so.. :p
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Have you thought about a Mesa Dual Rec Roadster at all? It has four channels and you can get very different types of tones from each. It has that classic dark dual rec sound you like as well as, in my opinion, amazing cleans, especially for a high gain amp. I own one and I love it.
This may seem obvious and that is because it is. The amp is exactly as bright or dark as the knob positions are. I have an engl blackmore which is bright as hell with all knobs at noon but I can easily dial in a good dark tone. I see no reason why the same would not work for the invader.
Gego: i don't know how the prices are there, but there was a ENGL SE head for 2k some months ago..
may be worth a look if u got a car cuz AFAIK a used SE is as much as a new invader..

other thoughts: the savage is also a nice amp..
but heck: i seen a Mark IV for 1600€ used when i was gassing for an amp...

I really like the TriAmp.. and they're quite cheap over here, as they are made in Germany..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
mesa roadster
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I love my invader, and i can definitely get darker tones out of it if I want, but it doesnt sound like a rec at all. The nice thing about the invader is that both the 2nd and 3rd channel have enough gain to be a really nice high gain rhythm channel, and if you want you can set one of them to be a lot darker than the other and switch between. I use my 2nd channel for a lot of rhythm parts with the lows and highs around 1 o clock, mids around 11 o clock. It has a really warm midrange that mixes well with all of my other amps. My 3rd channel i have set up to have more attack and punch, and for recording having both of those channels on separate tracks sounds huge. The amp as a whole has a ton of bass, but its really tight and not boomy or flubby like a rec.

Of course different strokes for different folks, but the invader is my favorite amp I've used.
Quote by Sputnik1

wut?

i haven't tried the invader but it has the rep of being a bit smoother than some other engls

i have tried the 6L6 SE and it's bright like most of the other engls
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This thread makes me want an invader even more
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator