Currently I'm playing out of a little marshall one thats a 15 by 15 square that's about 10 inches deep, that I got at a garage sale for 30$

My current budget is 0... I'm just wondering if this is really important, I don't gig or anything so I don't really need the extra power.

I play my dad's MIJ Fender Strat, I've only been playing for a year and a half so I'm not that good, but should I invest in something a little less sketchy that doesn't hiss feedback periodically and require a bunch of wiggling to make sound?

Also, is there a huge difference in a 400$ amp vs a 200$ one?
Last edited by Makko Mace at Feb 1, 2012,
Yes, yes, and yes. I'd say no if there wasn't anything negative about the sound you were getting out of the amp. If you start learning about circuits n such you could turn it into a project... but I'd leave that for much later. A recent article in Premier Guitar was about this dude who bought a guitar at a flea market for $50 and turned it into one of his go to guitars next to $1500 guitars he'd bought new. Sometimes the low price tag is totally worth it!

If you play on better stuff you'll develop an ear for it. You'll be more happy with the sounds you hear when you play and will want to play more. You'll probably start writing your own licks, if you haven't already. I know just holding a strat is inspiring to me.

$200 can get you around a block but IMO you can get some stuff much better for the $400. More $$ is always more options. If all you're doing is around the house stuff, and you're playing blues, rock, classic rock etc, I'd say look for a Fender Blues Jr. They're great and have great tone for home use. Not sure what they run used, but there's surely a deal better than $500 new. A strat through a blues jr is great!
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Last edited by bpdeem at Jan 31, 2012,
Quote by bpdeem
Yes, yes, and yes. I'd say no if there wasn't anything negative about the sound you were getting out of the amp. If you start learning about circuits n such you could turn it into a project... but I'd leave that for much later. A recent article in Premier Guitar was about this dude who bought a guitar at a flea market for $50 and turned it into one of his go to guitars next to $1500 guitars he'd bought new. Sometimes the low price tag is totally worth it!

If you play on better stuff you'll develop an ear for it. You'll be more happy with the sounds you hear when you play and will want to play more. You'll probably start writing your own licks, if you haven't already. I know just holding a strat is inspiring to me.

$200 can get you around a block but IMO you can get some stuff much better for the $400. More $$ is always more options. If all you're doing is around the house stuff, and you're playing blues, rock, classic rock etc, I'd say look for a Fender Blues Jr. They're great and have great tone for home use. Not sure what they run used, but there's surely a deal better than $500 new. A strat through a blues jr is great!

Huh, the internets have good things to say about those... though how load can they get? I've started playing with other people and we might form a band at somepoint...

Also, does it/most non low end amps have built in overdrive/distortion?

Anyways, I'd better get a job lol
Quote by Makko Mace
Huh, the internets have good things to say about those... though how load can they get? I've started playing with other people and we might form a band at somepoint...

Also, does it/most non low end amps have built in overdrive/distortion?

Anyways, I'd better get a job lol

The blues Jr is a fantastic amp and will get PLENTY loud. Don't worry about that.

If you're playing with others now, you're eventually going to want to gig -- heck, even if it's just for parties to meet girls.

Pretty much any amp that will be recommended to you will have distortion built in.

What kind of music are you having fun playing (and anticipate to play with other people)? This will be a big help in getting suggestions. Also, your location and that sort of thing would help.

But to reiterate what bpdeem said, you'll probably learn faster by having a more enjoyable experience while playing. I know for me I had a cheapie amp to start on and didn't really feel inspired. But after upgrading a bit, it made a big difference. I sill don't consider myself "good", but I'm playing out with others -- tomorrow night, now that I think of it...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Wow thanks for the advice!

I play mostly rock, classic rock, alternative and some related stuff, so it seems this amp would be good for me.
i'm not sure you'll get much better for your proposed budget of 0

EDIT: more seriously, though- yes, amps are one area of guitar playing where spending money is worthwhile and (if you know what you're doing) you'll notice massive improvements with more expensive kit (at least until you get to a certain level).

EDIT #2: your guitar should be great. MIJ stuff is awesome, generally. amp would be where i'd be putting the money next, that's for sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 1, 2012,