Hello! I posted this on the gearslutz forum, but I'm not getting much replies, so I'll try here. I hope this is the right category to post this under, as I didn't see anything relating to computers.

I'm buying new computer (not building). My budget is $850.

I need something that will last me through college, meaning for the next 5 or 6 years. I know that's probably too much to ask for considering the budget. I will use the computer for music recording with Pro Tools. Right now I use Pro Tools 8, but I plan to upgrade ASAP. I will also use the computer to watch movies and browse the internet. I am by no means a gamer, however I will most likely find myself wanting a game every once in a great while, so I do want to best graphics card I can fit in the budget.

I know thats not much to go by. But what are the first things I should look at when buying a PC for recording? I had an idea to look for good gaming computers, as they would probably be good for processing and handling a good ammount of info, but I don't know if that's a good rule to go buy. I'm actually looking around a bit at CyberPower.com

The main computer I'm looking at though is theDell XPS 8300. Here are the specs.

8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 1GB DDR5
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Dell 1501 Wireless-N PCIe Card
Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet
THX® TruStudio PC™ (Sound Card)
Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)

The price of this computer totals at $830, and offers what looks to me like a great configuration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So the Dell XPS 8300 is what I will most likely buy. My questions are:

Do the components of the Dell XPS 8300 excel in audio recording, particularly Pro Tools. If not, what needs to be improved?

Will one of the cheaper computers from CyberPower or other speciality computer manufacturers offer more for the price?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note. I don't want to build my own computer. If you guys need any more info, please ask, I'd really appreciate the help. I'm treating myself to a new computer as my birthday gift. Thank you all so much
What you really need is a new amp.

But really you should use the Computer thread.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.