I'm looking for a new amp to match my new guitar. I heard somewhere these details would be useful:

Budget: Under $500 USD, lower is better

Genre(s):metal/hard rock, particularly of the progressive variety. John Petrucci, Luke Hoskin, etc.

I'm game for new or used, with a preference toward the new.

This will mainly be for home use, but I'd like to be able to mic it up for smallish gigs.

I live in Youngstown, Ohio. It's right between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

I play a PRS SE Torero and an abused entry model RG through a Fender Frontman 15G

The Torero is the reason I'm amp shopping; I'd like something to handle what this guitar brings to the table. I recently had a Vox VT+ 120, but it didn't have nearly enough tone improvement over my little Fender to justify the price, so it got returned. My experience with that particular amp may be clouded as it was a floor model and had clearly been abused by all the metal kids that hang around GC, so I'm more than willing to give the series a shot again. Perhaps the 80? I'd like to make the switch to a tube amp, but I understand this may not be realistic with my budget. However, I have noticed the VHT Special 6 Ultra, but I'm not sure how I can metal it up without investing in pedals.
Do not get the VHT Special 6. Just get a 6505+ 112 combo. Fine amps.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

ive been looking at the peavey vypyr tube 60s myself. might be something for you to check out.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Used JSX.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You can't just "quick google search" used gear. It doesn't work like that. You have to be vigilant and hawk eyed.

Here's this for now http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-JSX-Joe-Satriani-Signature-Guitar-Amp-Head-/250983288263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6fc50dc7

It'll probably go up though. The best place is craigs list. There you can barter with people and talk them down.

$600 would give you better chances of getting one though, if you can manage that. I highly recommend this amp for the two artists you listed though.

EDIT: Here's a nice catch. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/2769261789.html Not nearly as nice as the JSX, but it's always hard to argue with a XXX for the prices they go for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 1, 2012,
You might check out the fender Mustang III (watch some clips on YT to see if gets the sounds you want).

If you're after a tube amp you can definitely get something for that price -- but of course each $100 more you can spend, the better you can get.

Check out Blackstar, Egnater, Hughes & Kettner's Tubemeister, Jet City, Fender Blues JR & VOX Night Trains. There are a lot of good, affordable tube amps out there.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
the JSX in the link he posted is 450$
it's cheap! but it's little out of your budget...

recommended in your budget: peavey vypyr 60 watt 112 combo, very nice of what i've heard...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30