So I decided to not go to French class and instead stay at home looking up different types of microphones, appropriate microphone placement, and frequency responses. Me being the curious boy I am wanted to know the frequency range of my friends Ampeg SS-140. So when I looked up the manual for it from Ampeg it gave me these ratings and I don't quite understand what it means.

Channel A
Low: 16db @ 80 Hz
Ultra mid: 12db @ 1K Hz
High: 24db @ 2K hz.

Channel B
Low: 24db @ 80 Hz
Mid: 12db @ 1K Hz
High: 28db @ 5K Hz
Bright: 6db @ 2K Hz

So my question is, what does the Decibel at Hertz ( __db @ __ Hz) relate to? Is it simply relating to how loud these frequencies achieve when rolled up all the way? Such as, if I were to roll the low knob on Channel A up to maximum it would put out a total of 16db at an average frequency of 80 Hz? And then applying the same to the other tonal controls I would achieve the threshold that the amplifier can put out in terms of that frequency, and then naturally volume would be controlled by the Gain and Level controls?

Now then, I do not run this amplifier at dimed controls. It was just an example. But a more practical example would be like this.

Channel B:
Low: 12 o'clock
Mid: 11 o'clock
High: 1 o'clock
Bright switch off.

This would mean that I am putting out at the moment:
Low: 12db @ 80Hz
Mid: 4.5db @ 1K Hz
High: 15db @ 5K Hz

I am not skilled with electronics, and I am not trying to seem as though I understand everything about amplifiers. However I want to start learning more about technical aspects of musical equipment, understanding how to record certain sounds and such. So I figured I should try to apply it to what is available to me.

Thanks for your help!
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I'd say the frequency ratings are the nominal frequencies each channel runs at. Typical subs run around 20 Hz - 200 Hz, and that's why the Lows are running at 80 Hz. 1 kHz is the typical frequency people talk at, and that's why your Mid controls are there. The High levels could should be getting up closer to 10 kHz - 20 kHz though imo, but that's the general idea.

I'm assuming the decibel ratings are the maximum "sound levels" the Ampeg can amplify, so you pretty much have the right idea there I think. The rating is basically telling you how powerful each control is and what frequencies they're centered around.
Okay cool. That's mostly what I figured. And of course speakers will definitely have a profound effect on the frequency range. But I'm looking to go into Sound Recording Technology program once I get out of my community college, so I want to start learning as much as I can about all of this. I've spent all day writing about microphones and frequencies and such, trying to understand mic placement and such.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Sounds cool dude. I don't know much about recording and mic placement, but it sounds like it would be a neat program. I've dealt with constructing amplifiers a little bit at school, but I have no idea how PA systems and recording stuff works haha. Good luck to ya!