Page 1 of 2
I'll probably get flamed for this, but guitar hero is pretty good for building up pinky strength and abit of finger independence.

If you're someone who's into games and want to build up some strength in your fingers, try it out some time. This only really works on expert difficulty where things become quite strenuous.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Wait, who's Alan?
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Crazyedd123
Wait, who's Alan?

A guy with this in his signature: "No, guitar hero will not help, not even on expert"
I only ever found it good for warming up when it's cold, not much use besides that, and you might as well do it on your guitar.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
ok.... so i won a few state guitar hero III comps. 1 to be exact.

if i could take back all the time i spent on guitar hero i would. don't equate learning guitar hero to learning guitar. just... don't. if i could slap my 15 year old self i would.
Probably works like this:

12 hours of guitar hero = 2 minutes of trills..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Marshmelllow
ok.... so i won a few state guitar hero III comps. 1 to be exact.

if i could take back all the time i spent on guitar hero i would. don't equate learning guitar hero to learning guitar. just... don't. if i could slap my 15 year old self i would.

Nah I would never equate it to that.

But, if you're in a situation where you can't really practice the guitar, playing guitar hero is pretty good for loosening up fingers and (atleast for me) making the pinky a bit stronger.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Or you could use a proper guitar to build up pinky strength and learn how to play the instrument at the same time.
Yay logic!

In all seriousness though, there's a bit of difference between pressing a button and holding down strings.

Also, if you want to combine video games with a real guitar then try Rocksmith
Last edited by JustPhil at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by Crazyedd123
Nah I would never equate it to that.

But, if you're in a situation where you can't really practice the guitar, playing guitar hero is pretty good for loosening up fingers and (atleast for me) making the pinky a bit stronger.

thats like trying to improve your swimming by taking a bath. think of it like this. for every thing you develop playing guitar hero; motor skills and whatnot. that skill is minimalized when later decide to play guitar. the skill is not very transferable.

so heres what i think. if you want to improve pinky strength and dexterity for guitar, why not do it on guitar. cut out the middle man. you will find you can develop other necessary skills along side this. and besides, there are already guitar exercisers designed directly for that.

if you want to play guitar hero, then fine, but do know that the skills you learn from that aren't transferable.
Guitar Hero II built in so many improper techniques, it took me ages to correct them. Some of them are still kicking.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
BUT the real question is THIS. Does playing guitar improve you're guitar hero experience?
If you want pinky strength play the bass. Set the action stupid high and string up like some 55s on it or something.
This thread is too stupid to even bother writing a legitimate response
I get what you're saying, but it won't help. Compare the frets to those big ass guitar hero buttons, it ain't the same, man.
Quote by vayne92
This thread is too stupid to even bother writing a legitimate response
+1
Quote by Freepower
GH for strength and independence?

Get into Starcraft mofos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q

HHH i watched a game not long ago.. TLO vs a Terran Korean player.. the Korean player was at 400+ APM.. probably smashing his face against the keyboard because of TLO´s maneuvers..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Didnt read this thread. Refer to AlanHB's sig.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Slashiepie
HHH i watched a game not long ago.. TLO vs a Terran Korean player.. the Korean player was at 400+ APM.. probably smashing his face against the keyboard because of TLO´s maneuvers..

Even if you have 400apm you still have to out-think a mad genius. How could you practice for a match against TLO?

Back with the swarm now. <3
Quote by ThisIsBS
BUT the real question is THIS. Does playing guitar improve you're guitar hero experience?

Yes it does!
Quote by Slashiepie
Probably works like this:

12 hours of guitar hero = 2 minutes of trills..

No it's more like 12 hours of guitar hero = 12 hours wasted that should have been spent playing guitar.

Guitar hero will not help. I like the game and all, it's a good time waster, but it will not help you with a real guitar in any way.

While we're on the subject, getting over 600 APM in starcraft 2 will make you as good a military strategist as Sun Tzu.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Last edited by Junior#1 at Feb 1, 2012,
I had been playing guitar hero for a year before I got my real guitar, and I had been playing violin for several years prior to that. I don't think it's particularly harmful but by no means is it incredibly beneficial
Quote by Freepower
Even if you have 400apm you still have to out-think a mad genius. How could you practice for a match against TLO?

Back with the swarm now. <3

We requiere more metronomes!
Idra ragequits!
You realize all those string skipping arpeggios were hallucinated!?
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 2, 2012,
is this a starcraft thread now? i've been meaning to get back in to it but it's seriously the hardest game i've ever played, and I was only in gold league in the oceanic servers
While we're on the subject, getting over 600 APM in starcraft 2 will make you as good a military strategist as Sun Tzu.

Been reading the Art of War a bit recently, Sun was a lot more badass than I thought. Also, ancient Chinese stuff is really hard to translate properly.

We requiere more metronomes!
Idra ragequits!
You realize all those string skipping arpeggios were hallucinated!?

Sweeping is a useful skill toi have.

is this a starcraft thread now? i've been meaning to get back in to it but it's seriously the hardest game i've ever played, and I was only in gold league in the oceanic servers

SC2 is pretty hard by most standards, but you need to go and play brood war to see just how much the new interface helps. You need 200+ apm just to 2 base properly in BW.
Rock riot, maybe, I've heard of it. But guitar hero, not at all. But if we talk about battery, well it can have some help. Actually you can use it's battery set at home to practice, instead of using separate pads to practice. But well, guitar, there are only 5 frets.
Yeah my apm was always pretty damn low and that really hurt me when I was trying to macro and micro at the same time. Maybe I'll practice some guitar finger Independence to get better at starcraft :p
Quote by Junior#1

Medivac drops at 600 APM would make Sun Tze cry.
And would make IDRA ragequit again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yOw-hYMbDY
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by Freepower

haha those medivacs should have a trollface animation gif instead of the female medic.

Holy Sh1t
This was amazing to watch too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKVFZ28ybQs&feature=related

only the brave play Zerg nowadays.. as much as i loved infestors i switched to Terran.
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
Page 1 of 2