I am looking to buy a stratocaster. But i hear bad reviews on the Mexican made ones.

This is the one i was looking at Fender Standard (£393):

http://www.heybrookmusic.co.uk/fender-standard-stratocaster-electric-guitar-lake-placid-blue-maple-neck.html

The alternative was this a vintage v6 (£219.00):

http://www.heybrookmusic.co.uk/vintage-v6m-electric-guitar-firenza-red-maple.html

Just wanted some of your opinions on them.

Cheers
There's nothing wrong with the Mexican Strats. The build quality is slightly less than that of an American one, but that doesn't mean they're not good guitars. Don't listen to all the Strat Nazis here who get hard-ons for their beloved Americans and despise everything else.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
not it is not, its a good guitar for the price, but again, americans just talk shit because it has the "mexican" part in the name...
i have the same few myself i am limited to how much i can spend having a family and all and i just cant justify the best part of £1000 for a guitar
Mexican strat - built by mexicans in mexico
USA strat - built by mexicans 40 miles away in the US
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a Mexican HSS strat. When I first got it I was blown away by it but after playing it for a few years and trying different guitars out I became a little disappointed in the tone, it sounded tinny and weak (compared to my Gibson Les Paul Jr and ES-335). However, I changed the birdge pick up to a Seymour Duncan JB, had the action and intonation tweaked and it now sounds awesome! It has a thick full puncy sound, my only complaint is that the input jack sometimes throws a tantrum. The neck is surprisingly good and it plays very well, blows my Les Paul Jr out the water completely.
Not as good as American obviously, but well worth the price. I have both and swapped the pickups in the MIM one. I'm happy with both of them.

If you compare this to an American it isn't as good but if you compare it to other guitars in the price range, it stacks up well against them.
MIM strats arent as good as the american ones..

but they are great guitars.

go for a mexican, but try it first if you can.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
yer i have the chance to try both the guitars the Vintage V6 and the Fender Standard as the shop is round the corner from where i work.
MIM strats can be great or just ok so try before you buy. i've found a few over the years that were just as nice as a US strat (i own a US strat for the record). they are nice guitars overall and decent for the money. not all US made guitars are gems either.
I actually love the Road Worn series guitars which are Mexican made, as well as the Baja Tele.
The few other Mexican Fenders I played were actually pretty good for the price IMO.
Pickups aren't the greatest in many of them, but they are still quite nice guitars.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I'm not a great Strat fan anyway, but when I bought my MIM 70's re-issue I tried a few other MIM Strats and some US strats and this was the one I was most impressed with, even over the US ones, admittedly they weren't high end US Strats but the MIM I bought was the closest I could get to a good quality US one.
As someone else said, the pickups on some models aren't the best, but the ones on mine sound great, I've got no problem with them at all.
I don't see the big deal about the "lower end" fenders, I've played a squier that had amazing quality, the only fault with them are the pickups of course, mexican made strats are fine mate, but I must admit that the other strat your looking at is sexy (Sorry I'm a fiesta red guy lol)
Peace
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
The worst part about the Mexican Standard Strats is the color. If they had Fiesta Red and Surf Green, I don't know what I would do with myself.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
I don't see the big deal about the "lower end" fenders, I've played a squier that had amazing quality, the only fault with them are the pickups of course, mexican made strats are fine mate, but I must admit that the other strat your looking at is sexy (Sorry I'm a fiesta red guy lol)
Peace

I have a Vintage V100 the les paul copy and i really like it and my guitar teacher was suprised with what i got for how much i paid. It really is a toss up between the Vintage and the Mexican Fender.
Quote by kangaxxter
The worst part about the Mexican Standard Strats is the color. If they had Fiesta Red and Surf Green, I don't know what I would do with myself.

They do, but they're more expensive lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Fender-50-s-Reissue-Stratocaster-Fiesta-Red-50s-RI-Strat-Classic-Vintage-/250979179029?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a6f865a15#ht_4775wt_932
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
the colour i was looking at Vintage - Fiesta Red or Black or Distressed in either colour
The colour in the Fender - Lake Placid Blue
Quote by mattwigan
I am looking to buy a stratocaster. But i hear bad reviews on the Mexican made ones.

This is the one i was looking at Fender Standard (£393):

http://www.heybrookmusic.co.uk/fender-standard-stratocaster-electric-guitar-lake-placid-blue-maple-neck.html

The alternative was this a vintage v6 (£219.00):

http://www.heybrookmusic.co.uk/vintage-v6m-electric-guitar-firenza-red-maple.html

Just wanted some of your opinions on them.

Cheers

Check out some reviews here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/fender/standard_stratocaster/index.html

You'll probably see that they're universally liked. Don't know where you're getting reviews on them.

The most common thing you'll probably read "negative" about them is the pickups. But they're really quite good, straight out of the box. The people criticizing them are usually people that have more experience and want particular tones. And when they replace the pickups you'll hear about how awesome the guitar is once more.

But top notch pups are not inexpensive. You could spend as much for pickups as the original price of the guitar!

So consider what you're getting for this price. It's a very well made instrument, using solid wood (no pressed woods, plywoods, composites, etc.) and good electronics & hardware.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Check out some reviews here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/fender/standard_stratocaster/index.html

You'll probably see that they're universally liked. Don't know where you're getting reviews on them.

The most common thing you'll probably read "negative" about them is the pickups. But they're really quite good, straight out of the box. The people criticizing them are usually people that have more experience and want particular tones. And when they replace the pickups you'll hear about how awesome the guitar is once more.

But top notch pups are not inexpensive. You could spend as much for pickups as the original price of the guitar!

So consider what you're getting for this price. It's a very well made instrument, using solid wood (no pressed woods, plywoods, composites, etc.) and good electronics & hardware.

The people with more experience should have better gear, they don't sound that bad through a decent enough amp but single coils do sound really bad through a crap amp.
Quote by steven seagull
Mexican strat - built by mexicans in mexico
USA strat - built by mexicans 40 miles away in the US

This.

IMO A mexican stratocaster is a fine guitar. Compared to a Chinese or Korean copy a mexi strat is hard to beat. I know... I've tried.

Everything Can Be Beaten
I have two MIM strats and like them both. I bought them used, swapped the pickups and tuners, and presto, a Strat that is close to equivalent to the American Standard for half the price.

That said, I pick up a new American Deluxe tomorrow, so I'm not of a single mind on this.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
They are pretty good actually.

Some of the Classic player stuff is also awesome for the money, if your after one PM me, I can sort you some very good prices out at the moment in the post Naam fall out lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi