Hi

I'm playing alot of Metallica on my new bass, and I was wondering if there were any strings that would fit the Metallica Sound.

In general, just some strings that'll sound good when playing metal

Anyone got some suggestions ?

Thanks alot
Roto Swing 66.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Don't thank the Alot, thank the people who are gonig to help you

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway.

Coated or uncoated and any particular gauge?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
although i use swing 66's all the time, the tone at the start may not suit some people. they're almost harsh to start with, but after about a week of playing they sound truly amazing. i still recommend them. recently though, i did use a set of rotosound nickel on steel strings. they were in a black box as far as i can remember and i liked how they stayed at a consistent tone for nearly 3 months
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Tbh at the moment I'm a huge fan of the Dean Markley Blue Steels for bass. Really in the end a lot of bass strings sound the same, especially in the nickel roundwound world.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by moody git
although i use swing 66's all the time, the tone at the start may not suit some people. they're almost harsh to start with, but after about a week of playing they sound truly amazing. i still recommend them. recently though, i did use a set of rotosound nickel on steel strings. they were in a black box as far as i can remember and i liked how they stayed at a consistent tone for nearly 3 months

+1 on the Rotosound roundwound nickel strings. I use these in 40-100 gauge exclusively on my basses now, fantastic strings.
I am not sure whether I should go .040 or .045. I'm pretty new at bass, so I'm not sure about the diffrence between coated & uncoated, roundwound & flatwound

I would like some strings that would fit "Nothing else matters" & "Enter Sandman". I guess some strings that sound nice in the lows
Just go with the Roto Swing 66's if you don't know what you want. If don't know what the different kinds of strings are or what you really want, it's very hard to give you a recommendation without first giving you a full education in bass strings.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by martinbass
I am not sure whether I should go .040 or .045. I'm pretty new at bass, so I'm not sure about the diffrence between coated & uncoated, roundwound & flatwound

I would like some strings that would fit "Nothing else matters" & "Enter Sandman". I guess some strings that sound nice in the lows

45 is considered the standard gauge, 40 is considered a little lighter. Basically, a little less tension on the strings making it a require a little less effort to play faster (though if you're sloppy, you can encounter some fret buzz proplems). Personally I've always preferred 40, but you should be fine with either.

Coated strings are supposed to allow the strings to last longer by making it harder for gunk off of your fingers to get stuck to the strings, allowing them to stay fresh and lively for longer. Unless you have particularly sweaty hands or something, I'd say it's largely gimmicky/unnecessary, as a well made uncoated set will last for a long time if you look after them anyway.

Flatwound is something you probably don't want for the type of music it seems you're playing. If you're just in your beginner stages, I'd wait a while before experimenting with flats.
Roto 66 are really nice. They're also like, a fiver cheaper than everything else, too.
Also, the "Metallica sound" varies wildly.
Thanks alot, I think i'll tryout the Roto's 66 Would you recommend 0.045 or 0.040, steel or ?
Any stainless steel strings will give you the brightness you'd like. I also recommend Rotosound Swing 66s.
signature
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Greatest post ever. Of all time.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think