Hey guys.

I've played acoustic guitar for a few years now, regularly playing gigs and various performances with very few issues... until recently.

The last couple of shows I've snapped 3 strings. Which before now is a completely rare thing. This started after I changed all my strings. I didn't change gauge (I use 13-56 gauge) so they were pretty much the same strings as before.

Is it a fluke that I've broken 3 strings in 2 shows?
Should I use a different gauge that has more 'give'?
A thinner pick?
Check my strumming technique?

Help me out if you can! I've got another gig this weekend so I don't want to be breaking more!
Thanks.

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Look after your strings, after you put them on, you must stretch them out. Also, check your technique, in the last 1.5 years I didn't break even one string.
I will do. Thanks! This is the first time I've had string problems since I started out so maybe my technique has gone downhill a bit.

Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Have the strings all broken in much the same place?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
How do you mean?
It was different strings every time. And not during the same song.

Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Quote by Jonny92
How do you mean?
It was different strings every time. And not during the same song.

The same physical spot on the string.

What I'm getting at is that if the strings have broken at the bridge saddle or the nut pretty consistently then it's worth checking those places for any extra matter; even a small piece of relatively sharp stuff can make strings break much quicker because they're under so much tension.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That's a really good point! If I remember rightly they're been breaking near the bridge so I'll give it a look.

After looking I couldn't really see anything unusual or feel anything sharp. Could it be worth taking off some of the strings to inspect a little closer?
I've also double checked my strings and stretched them a bit more, is stretching something that should be done often? I normally only stretch them when I put them on.

Thanks so much for the help!

Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Last edited by Jonny92 at Feb 1, 2012,