I just got kicked out of my band today and figured Id maybe take a break and work on my own music for a while. Ive been recording/mixing for about a year or so now. Everything Ive learned is pretty basic and self taught.. in other words, Im not great or anything.

Now that Im going to have more time on my hands, I want to focus more on mixing. When I first made my purchases.. (interfaces/mics) I was completely new to this, and bought low quality items. I am starting over from scratch, and need a new line 6 interface, that I will use for recording guitar and bass.

So my point is, Im planning on expanding/learning more about mixing, and I wanna make sure that my shit wont suck, so I know when I personally need to improve.

Whats the best Line 6 interface I can get, for recording guitar AND bass without being limited in quality at all? Should I stay with podfarm, orrr..?
Eh, I'd recommend NOT buying a line 6 interface and getting a TASCAM US series or a Focusrite Saffire 6 instead, the Line 6 stuff is okay, but really you're paying for the Podfarm software, which in reality isn't that great.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I have a tascam us-144 but it lacks any guitar emulating software. What kind of tascam interface would you recommend?
You can get free Amp sims that are far superior to the Podfarm software, there are many tutorials available that explain how to use them.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Sweet. Would you still recommend me upgrading my interface by any chance? Is there anything about it really holding me back. I bought this package a while back and have been thinking about upgrading my mic I use for vocals, but I wasn't so sure about the interface.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=tascam+us+144&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17161930133251449750&sa=X&ei=I14pT8eQI4rb0QGYwaG1Ag&ved=0CJgBEPMCMAM
I, too, would advise against limiting yourself to Line 6 products - while they're not particularly bad, and far from the worst, you can do a lot better for the money without restricting yourself for future expansion as you (hopefully) get more into the general side of recording music (i.e miking a full drum kit, maybe a string section or orchestra, maybe a live gig etc.) as from what I've heard the mic preamps in Line 6 gear have been their biggest downfall to those looking to go beyond DI'ed recordings.

I'll let others suggest brands/models as I'm pushed for time but on a sidenote: sorry to hear about your band, perhaps it's fate pushing you to explore different things or even find a new band that is more the sort of thing your heart wants to do If it's any consolation, when I was 15-16 ish I was in a classic rock covers band that were good enough (for our age) to be doing paid gigs locally; as we started to write original material to gradually move away from the cover band thing, the bassist lost interest and decided he wanted to form a christian rock band (a bit random but he's still a friend and I respect his choice etc.) and the drummer (also religious) went with him, along with the other guitarist leaving me without a band effectively.

To cut a long story short I spent ages looking for bands and then tried to form my own (as I couldn't find anyone playing metal that would have someone so young in their lineup, other than bands that weren't very serious or ambitious) and when that was also going nowhere I was losing hope until I auditioned for a band that were rated 'Demo of the Month' in the UK Metal Hammer magazine. In the end they opted to get a keyboard player instead of a second guitarist, so I didn't get the gig, but they put me in touch with another band who were looking for a guitarist and I got the gig after a few rehearsals etc. and 5 years on (I think, lol) I'm still with the band (it's where my username comes from) and we're releasing a new album very soon, after doing a UK tour the December just gone supporting ex-Iron Maiden vocalist Blaze Bayley.

If you excuse the sort-of shameless promotion there, I'm just saying that you never know what will come your way in the most unexpected of circumstances!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Hahahaha good shit dude. Yeah I'm a little disappointed but its not like Im gonna stop anytime soon. I just look at this as more time to expand other things related to music. I knew I had started going down the wrong path when it came to mixing. so I figured id start from the beginning lol. Im just kinda overwhelmed
Quote by leesops
Nothing wrong with Line 6.

Well there is, the DI signal isn't as pure as more expensive DI boxes.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Maybe on the lower end units. But on the HD500 with both inputs set to mic the signal is pure.

Tascam is a very nice unit but there are some cons.

I found with the 2488 Neo was the signal was not pure you could set the EQ flat but you could not turn it off.

And when you would mix down the track and did play back you would have to EQ it to get the sound back to some what like that you just recorded also the mixing tools setting you could not turn them off ( well I was able to fig out how to ) a real pain in the ass .

The 2488 Neo guitar sim and FX was weak and not much to pick from.

You don't need a computer as you can do all editing on the Tascam but it is a slow pain in the ass.

Example say you want to cut out a part you recorded and splice it back into the track you had to reset start point and end point move it to a new track channel recorded it to new track channel and then remix down the track.

And hope you set the start and end points perfect and guess what you then have to go back and re-EQ the track .

Also the Tascam is slow if you record more then 1 track it can take up to 5 mins just to mix down and once your happy with what you got then you have to save it and that can go up to 10 mins just depends on the size of the tracks .

I no longer have the Tascam 2488 Neo not because it's a bad unit it's not or cause it's slow.

But because you could not get a pure signal.
Really? I use a Tascam 2488 (the MkII though, not the Neo) and find it works fine. Mixing is a quick and easy process, the EQ does a decent job and recording & editing couldn't be easier.

Never use the guitar sims though, all my guitar sounds come from my amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
GaryBillington

I went to a few music stores when I was trying to sell the Tascam 2488 Neo.

Both stores said about the same thing that the MKII was a better unit.
Quote by leesops
GaryBillington

I went to a few music stores when I was trying to sell the Tascam 2488 Neo.

Both stores said about the same thing that the MKII was a better unit.

In that case I'm probably glad I couldn't quite afford the newer model
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud